Genre

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by inlovewithwords, Jul 17, 2007.

1. inlovewithwords

inlovewithwords Companion

Jul 17, 2007

I am a first year teacher of 9th grade english. I have been thinking about how to arrange my curriulum around a theme. After much consideration I think it is going to be organized by genre. Beginning with short stories. What do you think? Is it too boring? any ideas for this?

3. lmjcatz

lmjcatz Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

I start all of my classes (9th and 10th) with short stories so that we can review all of the elements of fiction and literary terms, etc. that we'll be studying all year. I also like to start with short stories because we can do a number of them in a short time-and hopefully everyone will be interested in at least one (as opposed to starting with, say, The Tragedy of Julius Caesar and losing many of them right away:( ). After the initial short story unit, I mix things up-so I couldn't tell you if going genre by genre works or not.

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 17, 2007

As long as it makes sense to you, and you tell the kids the direction you are going, you'll be okay. In my district, 9th is organized by genre, 10th is thematic, and 11th/12th are chronological.