Genre Project - Help, Please!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by drooping_cactus, Jun 26, 2012.

1. drooping_cactus

drooping_cactus Rookie

Jun 26, 2012

Genre Project - Help

I teach language arts, and at my school we cannot use novels during the first quarter (departmental thing). I already have a writing project planned near the beginning of the quarter, but I also want to do a project near the end of the quarter as well.

I’m thinking about doing a genre project. Students would be put into groups. Each group would be assigned a genre. They would have to research it and then create a product about the genre. (I figure this will be a good way to introduce students to different genres before we read and interact with them later on in the year.)

Does this sound like a good idea? How can I improve upon it? How could I differentiate the project? Could compacting work?

I’m really trying to rack my brain on this one, but not having much luck! :unsure: Thank you!

3. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jun 26, 2012

4. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jun 26, 2012

Oh and I think you should have each group do a venn diagram where they compare and contrast their genre to another genre. (fiction/nonfiction, short story/ novel)

5. drooping_cactus

drooping_cactus Rookie

Jun 26, 2012

Thank you! I really like your idea of having students compare/contrast the different genres.

How could I differentiate this project for a mixed ability class?

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2012

If students are in groups, you could assign different roles to each student.

I would think about a semantic feature analysis. You could write each genre on the left and the key features of different genres on the top. This way students could see this at a glance.

Maybe have each group post what they are finding to a blog so that all groups could use this to fill out their semantic feature analysis.

7. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jun 27, 2012

Differentiation is my weakness. I'm no help there.

8. drooping_cactus

drooping_cactus Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

Thanks! I like the idea of assigning students roles during the project. I plan to do literature circles at the beginning of the 2nd quarter, and using roles during this project would help students prepare for the lit circles!

Also, I think I might have students use the semantic feature analysis at the end of the project when it is all done! :)