Generic Map Analysis?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rockguykev, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2013

Anyone have any lessons/worksheets they use for general map analysis? I'm not talking about reading scales, legends or the like but things like orientation, choice of focus, etc.

I'm trying to build a history lab looking at medieval maps as a built up to the Age of Exploration and I'm very stuck at the analysis part. I've found the maps that I want to use and know how I as a trained historian would analyze them but getting my kids to do given that maps are so far out of their normal context is proving difficult.

3. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Dec 31, 2013

Interesting idea! What do you want them to learn from the maps? Are there specific conclusions you'd like them to draw or is the main practicing map analysis?

Here is a link to a generic worksheet from the national archives

You might also be able to adapt/tweak the OPTIC image analysis strategy

4. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2014

In this case my ultimate goal is for them to learn why the explorers had so much trouble finding what they were looking for. My kids simply can't fathom not knowing that Africa had an end or that America, you know, existed. If they knew how to analyze maps a bit better I think it would be much more clear. Of course I can just show them a map without those things but I'd rather they get it on their own through analysis.

Thanks for the links! I pulled a few ideas from the archives one and that will be a great start.