Generic Compliments?!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Proud2BATeacher, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 5, 2008

At our school assembly tomorrow, my principal wants each teacher to give another teacher 3 compliments in front of the all of the students. Why? I don't know :confused:. We won't find out who will be complimenting until she calls our name at the assembly. I am afraid that I will not be able to think of anything when I am put on the spot, so I have come to my AtoZ family to ask for some generic compliments that I will be able to use:blush:. Thanks

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2008

:dunno:
    You are always willing to help others--teachers and students.
    You are able to make me smile when I'm having a bad day.
    You share your great ideas.

Is this the kind of thing you need?

4. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Feb 5, 2008

You might compliment the teacher on some work you have seen the class do,how well their class behaves,how hard they work together,on some thing you have learned from the teacher,how they may have helped you of your fellow teachers,how nicely they dress,or for not calling the principal a name for having this idea. I think it would be nice if the principle would compliment the teacher,or if you must do this in front of the children at least let you know who the teacher you are supposed to compliment is a few days in advance ,so you can come prepared.I can see this being a disaster if a teacher can't think on the spur of the moment what they should say.Let us know what happens.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2008

This seems strange! Though we had compliment envelops where teachers could leave notes to each other. Some got more than others, some got none....so I don't think it was a very good program.

6. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Feb 5, 2008

One year we started every faculty meeting passing a stuffed bear around and when we had the bear in our hands it was our turn to compliment another teacher. It was very awkward and after a few meetings became very generic. Pretty soon, we started hiding the bear during lunch in hopes the principal wouldn't find it and would forget that we needed to do compliments! Kind of juvenile, but entertaining nonetheless. :)

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 5, 2008

I tried to get out of going to the assembly tomorrow just because I know the students will see right through it -- it is totally fake. I teach special ed. and my class is on the opposite side of the school from the regular ed. class, so I really don't know what they do with their class. I only see them teach when I walk my class to computers or to the library.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 5, 2008

Thanks MrsC!

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 5, 2008

LOL:lol:

10. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2008

It's totally fake just like your principal......:(:(..

:sorry:

Major.......:)

11. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Feb 5, 2008

Huh? What is the purpose - mandated staff morale? If anyone should be handing out the compliments in form of introductions how about principal?

1. can change a flat tire in the rain
    2. has been mistaken for Brittney Spears/Brad Pitt
    3. runner up in the World's Strongest Man/Woman contest
    4. in Guinness Book for world record sharpening pencils
    5. can beat any student in this assembly out to recess

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 5, 2008

I agree. :down:

13. Noggin

Noggin Rookie

Feb 5, 2008

How awkward... hope it doesn't turn into too much of a joke with the kids. Gotta wonder what benefit the principal thinks this will have. :unsure:

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 5, 2008

The problem is that the principal has waited 4 months too long to deal with the foul-mouthed, behaviourally "challenged" regular ed. students in our school and she wants to show them how easy it is to find something good to say to someone else.

She should have done something in September when she realized that the special ed. students all coded with severe behavior disability and mild cognitive delays were better behaved than the regular ed. students. When my class has to do something with a regular ed. class, I have to give them a speech about not copying the inappropriate behavior of the the students in the other classes.

15. Bernard

Bernard Companion

Feb 5, 2008

How many teachers do you have on your staff?
    I can't belive that your principal expects elementary school children to sit through this!
    It also seems to open the door to someone accidentally saying something they really don't mean, such as saying to you, "You do a great job with the children that no one else can teach." What might your kids think of that?
    Put on the spot, some teachers may not think about the implications of their words.
    I would just stick with the generic, such as "You have a phenomenal attitude!" and "You are a great part of our team!" and "You always have such creative hallway/door/bulletin board displays!" You could always pull out, "You always bring such tasty treats to potlucks!" if you've had one of those lately.
    Sure, it's fake, but the other teachers know that you don't spend a lot of time around their classrooms.
    Good Luck!

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 5, 2008

We have a small staff - about 11 of us will be participating in this assembly. For some reason the principal thinks that she can introduce a new school wide behavior plan and get through all of these compliments in 15 minutes.

Needless to say I am hoping that a few of my students have some serious behaviors before we have to go to the assembly, so that I wouldn't have to take them.

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 5, 2008

You are always positive.
    I have learned a lot of things from you.
    Your BB are great.
    I admire your strength and perseverence.
    Your room is very attractive and conducive to learning.
    You are a problem solver and cooperative teammate.

I admire your honesty/bravery/consideration of others/grace under pressure/willingness to help others/willingness to learn new things/inspiring teaching methods/ability to listen non-judgmentally......

18. blue-eyed mom

blue-eyed mom Companion

Feb 5, 2008

:rofl::rofl: A complement??!!

19. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Feb 5, 2008

Hey come on. Who wouldn't want to be just like Spears? :2up:

20. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 6, 2008

This seems really strange. Do you at least get to pick the teachers you compliment? What if it's only a handful of teachers that get compliments...won't the kids notice that as well? This seems really odd to me. :confused: Good luck...sorry you have to do this. :hugs:

21. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Feb 6, 2008

We do something like this at Thanksgiving, but our principal copies turkeys with lots of tail feather and makes them into necklaces. You put them on backwards (with the turkey on your back) and everyone goes around writing positive comments on each others. People enjoy this because it is voluntary and kind of anonymous-you only go to people you know or CAN make a positive comment about and it does make you feel good when you read your own and people have nice things to say about you-I saved mine and hung it on the fridge so my husband can be reminded about my GOOD points!
    Maybe you can just say something about a good work ethic, sense of humor, professionalism, positive attitude-but if you don't know until the last minute, it makes it hard to say things that just don't fit the person. And there are a few people in my school who I would have a very difficult time saying anything positive about.

22. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 6, 2008

I missed this thread yesterday. So how did it go?

23. ch106

ch106 Rookie

Feb 6, 2008

I hope you don't work with someone you hate... LOL

24. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 6, 2008

In that case...

"You are one of the best teachers in the districts, except when you are drinking.".........:D:D:D:p

Major...:)

25. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 6, 2008

Our assembly was postponed until Monday because the principal got called out for a meeting. We were hoping that we would be able to have the assembly without her so that we could skip the compliment portion of the assembly, but she would not allow it.

I will let you know how it goes...

Some of the compliments we came up with after school today:

Thank you for being my AA sponser.
    Thank you for bailing me out of jail.
    Thank you for telling the police that I was with you last night.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  26. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2008

Proud, these are hilarious!! I especially like the last one.

27. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Feb 7, 2008

Which shows the wisdom of your principal's idea - look how much staff morale is being raised already!:lol:

Keep your chin up - maybe Monday will be cancelled, or at least the assembly.:)