General Writers Workshop Ideas

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by MissH225, Mar 5, 2008.

1. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Mar 5, 2008

Hello!
    It's almost the end of the grading period and I want to do something fun with my 2nd graders in writing. I have about a week to do just some narrative writing. We wrote pet stories, reports and poems this 9 weeks so I really just want to end with something fun that would allow students to be creative (work on using interesting words possibly).

So I was just wondering if you have any interesting writing topics or ways to make writers workshop fun. A lot of them do enjoy it but I do have the few who dont and then the few who just are in a race with life and think the goal in writing is the be the first one done.

3. cfroke

cfroke New Member

Mar 6, 2008

We just finished a personal narrative on a shopping trip they have taken. I was amazed at how much fun they had with this. I couldn't have even imagined the ideas they came up with. They ranged from one about a shop they went to when on a cruise in Alaska to going to the 99 Cent Store to look for Valentines and a grocery shopping trip. We did an organizer first with who, what, why, where, how squares.

4. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2008

Have you ever had the kids come up with their own ideas for a personal narrative instead of giving them topics to write about. It is so hard for kids to write about a topic that they are not passionate about or they don't have alot to say about. What I do at the beginning of the year is have kids make "A Map Of My Heart" in which they fill in their heart with all the things that are important to them. (i.e. a baby brother, my video games, my mom, my new sneakers etc.) I teach them to then take one thing from the map of their heart and think of a personal story that way. For example, a child may choose "my new sneakers" and say, "Oooh, I remember when I wore my new sneakers to my cousin's house for her birthday party and at the party, someone spilled punch on the floor. Thank goodness it just barely missed my new sneakers!!" I would then say, "Okay, what a great idea for a small moment story! Can you write more about that??" And the kids are off. Eventually, they know how to look at the map of their heart and come up with small moment stories of their own. I might even give them a prompt like, "I remember a time when...."
    Doing writing workshop this way is so effective because my kids were able to dish out one small moment story after the other, after the other!! It was amazing. They even put that "Map of My Heart" to the side and created a new one when they thought of new things to add.

5. 1angel

1angel Rookie

Mar 10, 2008

I don't ever give the students topics to write on. They have to do it. I have learned they are far more clever than me! Just today we got this great story about everything that happened when a student accidentally dropped their lollypop in the toilet! It was the best story, and we'd have never heard it if they weren't writing on their own.

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 12, 2008

We're writing play scripts for puppet shows; they will create their own puppets and perform for the class. I agree w/
    1angel, they come up w/their own best topics. One student is doing her own rendition of The Three Bears, another is working on a Lost in Space. This is a project I've done for years and it's been extremely successful. The only requirement is that they follow a script format. Some students provide music and background scenery. I have a puppet stage in my classroom that also serves daily as The Broadcasting Center for daily weather reports, book talks, and school news. The kids love it!

7. annafish

annafish Companion

Mar 12, 2008

having them write about their favorite place is a good one because everyone will have someone special, it could even be their bedroom. I use the book All the Places to Love with it.