General Science Praxis....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Oct 25, 2016

Spoke with the P today and asked him how soon he needed me to pass the general science praxis. He said before the start of the new school year but he mentioned that if I do pass, I would teach physics.... Begs the question..... Study for general science? Or study for physics?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 25, 2016

Passing general science would possibly open you up to being able to teach more science courses, thus giving you more jobs to apply to should you decide to look elsewhere next year.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 25, 2016

If the general science exam is one that, under your state's rules, will qualify you to teach physics, then you'll need to know some physics for the test; let your test prep also flow into your next-year's-teaching prep. Do make sure, though, which test you need to teach what: admin doesn't always know.

5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Oct 26, 2016

He initially wondered if I were still interested in taking the science exam. He also said he would reimburse me for a passing test score. He also said not to tell anyone after passing the test that I would be teaching physics. I wonder if that's cover for him in case he decides to non-renew me.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 26, 2016

That's one possibility, though another is that the general science test doesn't in fact fully qualify for teaching physics, or even that the person at risk of non-renewal isn't you but doesn't know it yet. Sounds odd either way, of course.

7. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Oct 27, 2016

I'm in a state where the general science praxis will certify me to teach physics if I pass it. Also, there is only 1 science teacher here. The one who taught physics / chemistry left for an admin position. Right now, chem is being taught by someone who hasn't taught it in 10+ years. Next year, physics will be offered but no one here to teach!

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 27, 2016

Cool: then study for general science including physics.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2016

I am just curious - what state accepts general science as a qualification to teach physics? Does the same test qualify you to teach bio, env. science, earth science, and chemistry?

10. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Oct 30, 2016

The scary answer is yes. Here is an article from the NCTQ regarding science teaching.

http://www.nctq.org/dmsView/The_All_Purpose_Science_Teacher_NCTQ_Report

11. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Nov 6, 2016

After some research, looks like I will need to pass the Physics Praxis if I wanted to be eligible to teach it. Same with Chemistry.

12. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2016

That is alarming. The chemistry Praxis isn't so bad, but the Physics Praxis is a bit ridiculous as it barely covers what is actually taught in a typical on level algebra based Physics course. It doesn't begin to touch what a teacher would need to know in order to teach AP.