General Science praxis 2. I've taken it 11 times

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by snobunny314, Jun 28, 2014.

1. snobunny314

snobunny314 New Member

Jun 28, 2014

Hi everyone, has anyone taken the general science praxis exam. I've taken this puppy 11 times. Never increasing my composite score only increasing my raw score! How is this even possible. I've score the best 138 and I need a 152. Not having a clue how many points are awarded per question. I've seen every version of the test, it's almost impossible to pass this thing when I've seen every question and have no idea which ones I am getting correct or incorrect!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 28, 2014

The raw score is the number of questions you got right. The scaled score takes into account both the number of questions and the difficulty of the questions - and, yes, this can result in a higher raw score corresponding to the same scaled score. Praxis issues a table of number of questions correct required to pass in a given state.

Your score report should give some idea of the domains (areas of knowledge tested) on which you're getting grief.

How are you generally as a taker of multiple subject tests?

4. msleep

msleep Rookie

Jun 28, 2014

Have you looked up the answers in case you see something similar again the next time?

5. snobunny314

snobunny314 New Member

Jun 30, 2014

Yes I have and in the questions I can remember. Just received my latest scores, an increase of 8 raw points but received 2 pts lower than my best score of 138. So a 136 this time. I've never taken a multiple subject test. We'll the Sats but that was 18 years ago!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2014

11 times?
    I admire your determination! Are there study guides you could use to prep for #12?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 1, 2014

My apologies: I meant to ask how you are generally as a taker of multiple CHOICE tests.

8. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Jul 1, 2014

That is really odd. I have taken the praxis (Gen Science, Chem, Bio, Content essay, ptl 7-12,etc.) and if I had to take the test multiple times and my raw score went up, so did my composite score. It seems really odd that you had an increase in your raw score by 8 questions and lost 2 points? Not sure that it would help but I would probably call Praxis about it.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2014

First question - are you a science person?

I, too, admire the determination! If you have one particular branch of science that is your thing, I suggest, first and foremost, that you make absolutely sure you can ace those questions. I am biological sciences, although I have too much chemistry for my liking. Physical science is so NOT me. I found as many practice tests of all the single version tests that I could get my hands on. Certainly, at this point buying the ETS practice tests or study guides for biology, chemistry, earth science, etc., is cheaper than repeating the test. Take those practice exams until you can truly pass each one very nicely. For your specialty and the closest to it, shoot for 100%. For me, I settled for 60% on chemistry and about the same on physics, knowing that super critical questions there were just educated guesses. I counted on the strength of what I did know to carry me, which it did. In retaking the same test or tests over and over again, you are actually learning facts. If you need something explained to you, I suggest some Facts on File books to give explanations that are not too over your head to understand. You can buy them on Half.com, etc. really cheaply. Besides, they are worth using in classes later. Every question I missed, I would write the question and answer, completely. Yes, every one. Once I had completely corrected the test, I would take it again, following the same pattern and method of tackling those elusive hard ones. After several times, I started testing only on the ones I missed, if I had answered the others correctly two or more times correctly. Why muddy the water with what you already know.

This is where the reference books come in handy. Study those questions that are baffling to you until you actually understand the principles, greatly increasing the odds of getting a correct answer. I would lock myself away for about three hours a night with this routine, my practice tests, and my books. A pile of scrap paper to take the test on over and over is also required. When you are having some success, stop for the night and go to bed. Try to end on a positive note. Do not watch TV, get on the phone, or otherwise get distracted. Your brain will continue to work on whatever you fed it last while you sleep. You know that if you have ever rose in the morning with the answer fully formed to something that was not coming to you the night before. The brain is like a computer that is always on.

Last bit of advice - concentrate on conquering one portion of the test at a time, starting with your strong suit. Remember, you can actually pass this test without being brilliant in every field, but you can't pass it by being only mediocre in all of them. These tests are rote memorization, with the exception of constructed response. The truth is that you can pass and not even do that well on the CR if you nail the multiple choice. You can't get better if you are not systematically finding and fixing the holes in the dam. I only allow three weeks of prep per test, just to keep myself from becoming complacent. Every few days retake those portions that you have really nailed, just to stay sharp on them, and then continue to proceed with the more difficult and vague concepts. That way you are adding more knowledge and growing, not just swapping out one bit for another.

There are many practice tests on the web if you just keep throwing terms at your search engine to find them. Many universities post them for their education majors to access for study and prep. I am not sure if I am allowed to mention names in the forum, but try searching for praxis conversion of raw scores, and I think some of them will pop up. Look at CLEP exams practice tests, many are free, and you are just trying to get a broad range of material to study with without spending too much more cash. Hope this helps! For what it is worth, this is how I study for all standardized tests and I have been out of school for way more years than I will admit to, so I have some results and practice that back me up. To date, I have completed Biology, General Science, Elem. Ed, MS Science, and MS Language Arts. My next goal is MS Social Studies. I also just earned my ESL and I used the practice test from the Praxis to help study for the state's comprehensive exam, which isn't the Praxis. Yep, passed that too. I only tell you this to let you know that testing is serious business, and your professional career and salary hinge on getting this right. It is worth your time and effort.

Let us know when you nail this!!

2bscience teacher likes this.
  10. atxteacher

atxteacher Rookie

Jul 19, 2014

I do not know anything about this test but I do know that for my dc-6 ESL test I failed it like 3 times.. finally I got it approved to separate it into two tests (paying full price for each part now) and Have had better luck with doing it that way... Is that an option?

11. missjess

missjess New Member

Oct 26, 2014

Hi Snobunny314, I'm currently preparing to take the general science praxis ii as well. Can you please share the study material you've used to help you prepare? I've taken the test a couple of times myself, and I was 4 points away from passing.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 26, 2014

What's your background in science, missjess?

13. missjess

missjess New Member

Nov 5, 2014

I have a BS in both biology and animal sciences.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 5, 2014

Hm. How are you generally as a taker of multiple choice tests?

15. missjess

missjess New Member

Nov 6, 2014

I do okay but I do tend to second guess myself a lot and change my answer choices. I know that I probably need to get my confidence level up, but I was just curious about the study material other aspiring teachers were using.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 6, 2014

Hugs, missjess. You're far from the only person who second-guesses. Let me suggest this: with an answer you're inclined to change, think about whether you could explain to someone else why you need to change it. If you can point to the word you read wrong or the fact you just remembered or something like that, go ahead and change the answer; if you can't, don't.

Are you getting stuck on the biology questions, or on the chemistry/physics/earth science? As you study and as you take the test, try thinking about how you'd teach the content. Conversely, take some time in everyday life to identify the principle of science that underlies the everyday activity you just did.

17. missjess

missjess New Member

Nov 8, 2014

Thanks, TeacherGroupie, for the great tips! I will definitely be incorporating them during my study sessions and the next time I take the Praxis. I have the hardest time with the chemistry section (a weak area of mine) and earth science (simply because I never took an earth science course), but I purchased some review books so they should help as well. Thanks again!

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 8, 2014

Look for chemistry as you cook: frying an egg is a classic example of an endothermic ('heat going in') reaction with a number of telltale signs of chemical change.

As for earth science, it's all around you in Louisiana!

Feel free to play with ideas here on A to Z.

19. James Rowe

James Rowe Rookie

Mar 20, 2017

Probably a little late here. I am taking the GACE general science exam and it is closely related to the Praxis General Science. vickilyn is there anyway you can help me find some of those practice test you were talking about? I searched CLEP but only found natural sciences, assuming that's the same.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 21, 2017

Welcome to A to Z, James Rowe.

vickilyn recommended the ETS practice tests, which presumably means the full-length practice tests that ETS sells for Praxis general science exams. The equivalent for GACE would be the Interactive Practice Tests, also sold by ETS, and the link is http://gace.ets.org/prepare.

You could search for released questions from Georgia's annual tests in the sciences, or you might try getting hold of SAT II prep guides in the sciences.

21. James Rowe

James Rowe Rookie

Mar 21, 2017

How would I find the released questions from the annual tests and thank you!

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 21, 2017

By plugging into your browser of choice a search string something like this: "[acronym for Georgia's annual test program] science released questions". Add more search terms (for instance, a specific grade level) if desired.