General questions/advice!?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by unicorns4ever, Jun 18, 2014.

1. unicorns4ever

unicorns4ever New Member

Jun 18, 2014

Hello out there!

I've never posted here before, but I've read so many threads as of late and gathered some good information. I still have some questions/frustrations - hopefully someone on here will be able to help me out!

My situation: I graduated from an excellent state college with an excellent education program in Dec. 2011. Majored in Early Childhood Education, though I am also certified in History and English. I had a really good GPA (3.56, with probably a 3.9 something in my major), and I did my student teaching overseas. Since I graduated in the middle of the year - and during a terrible hiring time - I spent Jan-May 2012 being a nanny. Couldn't find a teaching job for '12-'13, so I was a tutor and worked part-time retail. Had tons of trouble finding a job for '13-'14, but finally found a job teaching Pre-K at the last minute. Pre-K is NOT my niche. I took it because I desperately needed a job. Fast forward to March/April of this year, and I decide not to sign my contract because 1) I disliked teaching Pre-K, 2) I disliked my principal, and 3) I disliked the county in which I was teaching.

I am now applying for jobs in the county in which I live. I've had two interviews so far, but nothing. One school I thought was a sure thing because I know a teacher there, she talked to the principal about me, and she gave me lots of info for the interview. Now, I'm sending out e-mails every day to principals/asst. principals, whether or not they have job openings posted on the county website.

Not only am I frustrated because it's so hard to even get an interview, but even the job postings on the website frustrate me. One will be posted, then taken down within an hour. Does anyone know why that is?

I know this has been kind of long and complain-y, but I didn't know where else to go! Advice or encouragement or whatever you can contribute is greatly appreciated.

:)

3. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 18, 2014

I don't know how big your county is, but sometimes you might have to broaden the area you're applying in. The more schools you can apply at, the better.

4. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jun 18, 2014

welcome to the board! It is so nice on here to know you aren't alone. I am in a very hard market and I moved here 5 years ago and this is the first time there have been many jobs to apply for, so things are getting better- so don't give up!

sounds to me you are doing your due diligence in getting your name out there. Make sure your resume is PERFECT. Something that is a little different than the rest. I have some simple reference quotes running down the side of mine in a lightly colored sidebar, which I know for a fact got me my last interview because she raved about it to me on the phone.

Those postings come down so fast because they get so many applicants. The one I was just referencing was only up for 10 hours- 1 hour is pretty amazing though. Make sure you have everything ready to go. Our system in Edjoin is super easy to use and I just click on the the attachments and change out the title on my letter.

I'm doing PK this year too and it's not my thing either, but I have 7 years of primary as well. When I go to interviews the majority of the candidates look very young so I'd think most people you are competing with are also young and with little experience, so it might not just be that.

hope that helps!

5. unicorns4ever

unicorns4ever New Member

Jun 18, 2014

My county is quite large, but I have been applying to schools all over the district. Thanks for the advice!

6. unicorns4ever

unicorns4ever New Member

Jun 18, 2014

Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement!

It's hard to stay positive because the jobs I want either don't hire me or don't even contact me for an interview. I know that the jobs I want are not always the jobs I need (and, in that case, the reason I needed the job always became clear after awhile!), but at my last school, I just wasn't happy enough. And life is too short to not be happy enough.

7. unicorns4ever

unicorns4ever New Member

Jun 18, 2014

By the way! Good luck with Pre-K! Hopefully you'll have a better experience than I did. We were always left out of stuff and forgotten about. My parapro and I always said we were on our own little island and people would only ever row out to visit us if we complained enough. :p