General Question

Discussion in 'High School' started by em7551, Aug 20, 2007.

1. em7551

em7551 Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

I recently passed my General Science/Physics CSET exams.
    If I were to take more CSET tests, does it make more sense to take, say, Chemistry or Biology; or branch over into Math.

I guess I'm wondering - having never taught in high school before - is there a certain way the faculty is organized, e.g., Science Dept., Math Dept.?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. :huh:

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 20, 2007

In my school there are the following departments, which each have a department head. All electives even fit into a Department depending on the type of couse for example a Conflicts in Modern Society class would be in the SS dept, while a Journalism class would be an English class.:
    -Mathematics (Includes Computer Programing)
    -English
    -Social Studies
    -Science
    -Wellness (Health, Gym, Home Ec, Personal Training, Etc.)
    -Visual Arts
    -Music and Theater Arts
    -Business (Desktop Publishing, Computer APs)
    -Special Education

4. em7551

em7551 Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

Follow-up

Thanks for the info. Based on what you said, it appears teachers stay within a single department for the most part. Though I have seen posts by teachers who teach math and science. Do you ever see teachers doing that?

5. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 20, 2007

One of our teachers taught both English and Social Studies this year, putting her in two departments. It all depends where your certification is. In our district (and I would assume almost everywhere nowadays) you can only teach subjects you are certified to teach - she is certified in both.

The advice my HS English teacher gave me was - get a job in the area you know you want to teach first. Then get certified in other areas.

From what I have seen you will be more useful if you can teach several branches of the same subject rather than two different subject areas - although when I was job searching there was a post for someone who could teach both English and Chemistry as the retiree had! So you never know.

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 20, 2007

I teach Social Studies and Math, weird how I teach math and I am the SS Dept Chair, I know. I know of a few teachers at my school who teach Math and Science and one who teachers Journalism (English) and Spanish.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2007

Honestly, if you're certified to teach Physics, you CAN find a job for this year. Qualified Physics teachers are impossible to find!!!

Hit edjoin (right??) and find a job tonight!

To answer your question, Chem and Math are both probably next hardest to find. It's somewhat easier to find bio people... think of all the wannabe doctors who have bio degrees.

8. em7551

em7551 Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

Thanks for the help and support. I'm in the Los Angeles School District. They truly are desperate for science and math teachers, so I believe my chances are fine. In fact, I have an interview Wednesday. I was just asking because my second favorite subject (after physics) is math.