General knowledge test!!!

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by callen6933, Dec 10, 2011.

1. callen6933

callen6933 Rookie

Dec 10, 2011

Hello everyone,

Im so nervous! Im taking the gk on thursday and ive been studying for about three weeks! Is there anyone on here that has just taken the gk and have any tips for me on passing? i would greatly appreciate more knowledge so i can be better prepared!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 11, 2011

Welcome to A to Z, callen6933. Let's move this thread to the Basic Skills Tests subforum here on A to Z: you'll find lots of threads on the Florida test and on other states' similar tests.

Is there a particular part of what's tested that has you especially concerned?

4. callen6933

callen6933 Rookie

Dec 11, 2011

O sorry I dont really know how to work this just yet but im concerned on the math part.

5. TeachingTime

TeachingTime Rookie

Dec 12, 2011

In terms of the math section, you'll want to review the test standards and take a few practice tests to diagnose any areas in which you may need to study a bit more before test day, but one other tip I would give you is to keep in mind that you don't have to get every question right in order to pass, so don't get too bogged down in terms of time and energy spent on one particular question-- finish the test and come back to the more problematic questions at the end.

6. callen6933

callen6933 Rookie

Dec 12, 2011

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 12, 2011

A good math drill book oriented to about sixth grade might work well for you, callen6933.

8. callen6933

callen6933 Rookie

Dec 13, 2011

ok thanks!

9. ali67

ali67 New Member

Feb 11, 2012

general knowledge reading test

Anyone with a good tip to pass general knowledge reading test? it is my second time... need to pass it!!!!
    thx

10. gettingthere12

gettingthere12 Rookie

Feb 19, 2012

Tips to passing!

Hi,

I recently took the test and passed the exam! My advice to you is to pray, brush up on your reading skills and watch the clock CLOSELY!! You may want to wear a wristwatch. I suggest using the Cliff's Notes FTCE GK test prep manual by Jeffrey Kaplan and Sandra McCune. The book has reading passages and questions that will prep you for the exam. The reading test is not as simple as someone may think. Time management is very important to all the tests, ESPECIALLY the GK Reading test!
    You will have only 40 minutes to complete the exam, so try not to spend too much time on the questions. It is imperative to watch your time. I will also suggest to mark the answers you are not sure of and you can go back to correct if necessary. The test will measure your ability to grasp reading comprehension. The test wants to see if you can determine the main idea, what is least likely relevant to the passage, etc. Give yourself time to prepare for the exam. I review the test prep practically everyday. Good Luck to you!! :thumb: