General Knowledge test FTCE

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by epi84PR, Jul 12, 2009.

1. epi84PR

epi84PR Rookie

Jul 12, 2009

Wow I am having so much problem with this test, this is the 5 time I have taken the test and I fail all the parts...
    is there any study guide? I have purchased the XAM, REA and I still lost... What about any college courses??
    please reply I need help!! and I don't wanna lose my job, I love teaching so much!!
    I came from a spanish country... and the timing makes for me difficult, I get really nervous trying to comprehend everything and translating the fast as I can.... :( please please help... if you know about anyone that can help...

and btw... I was thinking of the Professional teaching standards cert... I think it would be better for me, but is overpriced...

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 12, 2009

A company called LearningExpress publishes books that might help you with the skills. Several books have you practicing on texts that are in English but the instructions and advice and all are in Spanish:

Reading Comprehension Success con instrucciones en español

Writing Skills Success con instrucciones en español

and there's quite possibly a math book that works the same way. The Web site is http://www.LearnATest.com, or you should be able to find the books at or through your local Borders or Barnes & Noble.

4. epi84PR

epi84PR Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

I will try that one too... any other ideas?

5. teach2010

teach2010 New Member

Aug 9, 2009

FTCE General Knowledge

I was wondering if there is any available strategies to passing the FTCE, I have bought study guide after study guide and still no hope. I took the General Knowledge Exam on July 31, 2009 and did not pass. Can someone please help or give me some better resources to look for?

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 9, 2009

GK consists of several subtests, if memory serves (I can't remember whether it's the usual three - reading comprehension, math, essay - or whether GK goes for a fourth to account for grammar skills via multiple choice). Have you passed any of them? Where do you think you're coming up short?

7. OrlandoTeacher

OrlandoTeacher Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

There are four FTCE General Knowledge subtest:
    English Language Skills, Reading, Mathematics, and Essay Writing.

All four MUST be passed within your first year of teaching (if you could get hired without have passing them first). If you do not then your Statement of Status of Eligibility or Temporary Certificate (if you have been hired) will be voided and you can no longer teach in Florida.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 9, 2009

Thanks, OrlandoTeacher. The tests tend to run together in my head, you know?

9. EPI84PRR

EPI84PRR New Member

Oct 11, 2009

wHAt if you couldn't pass your GK test on the first year... can I just take another subject area on the same area or another area and teach a different grade and get an extra statement of elegibility again?
    please answer ASAP :) thank you

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 11, 2009

I'm inclined to doubt it, EPI84PRR: the General Knowledge tests as OrlandoTeacher has outlined them are basic skills tests, which means they probably don't vary at all from subject area to subject area. By law (yes, including NCLB), states have to take the basic-skills requirement pretty seriously.

11. OrlandoTeacher

OrlandoTeacher Rookie

Oct 12, 2009

Correct. If you cannot pass the GK within one-year, then they will revoke your teaching credentials. Remember, the general knowledge subtest are just that: "General." This is the bare minimum essential skills that ALL educators are required to know.

12. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Nov 5, 2009

This reminds me-- I have taken the FTCE General Knowledge exam and failed 1 section of it. Now, this was I would say 6-7 months ago, if not more. I decided not to start Grad school in September and never took the other section of the test again. I am wondering if when I take this test again if I will have to re-take all 4 parts or if I will just have to re-take the 1 section that I had previously failed??

When I studied for the test I used "The Best Teacher's Test Preparation for the FTCE General Knowledge." I made sure that I worked on all of the example questions (especially for math). It helped a lot.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 5, 2009

14. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Nov 8, 2009

You just have to take the one part over again, however the price is the same whether it is one part or all of them. It costs $150 to retake any portion of the GK exam.

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 8, 2009

There are three tests you must pass to get your credential. The GK is only one of them. You must also pass the professional and the subject area exams. The GK, as pointed out, as 4 parts. The most common parts to fail are the math and essay portions. If you're within driving distance of Miami Dade County, Miami Dade College offers preparation courses for all sections of the GKT (I used to teach the math portion). Failing that, I like the advise given by TeacherGroupie at some point in the past, which starts with "Go to a book store that has a coffee shop..." Sift through the available books and find one that speaks to you. Most of the books these days have CD's that go along with them that have oodles of practice tests for you to take to see where you stand.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 8, 2009

In addition, if the usual run of GK test-prep book leaves you glassy-eyed, don't despair: the skills tested are also reviewed quite adequately by basic-skills-review books such as the ones published by LearningExpress, Barrons, and several other publishers. Whatever you do, though, spend some time with the book before you lay out cold hard cash (or cold hard plastic) on it. There's no point taking home a book that you won't ever actually be able to bring yourself to open.

17. mharsh77

mharsh77 New Member

Jan 10, 2010

GKT

I'm taking the GKT in the next week, anyone have any last tips? Thanks :)

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 11, 2010

Welcome to A to Z, mharsh77.

How are you as a writer of the basic Five-Paragraph Essay, Plus Or Minus One?

19. irishjoetampa

irishjoetampa Rookie

Jul 4, 2010

Hi Teachergroupie, I have a question for you. I just passed the Middle Grades Integrated exam and am beginning to prepare for the GK test. The Middle Grades exam had algebra, proportions, graphing etc. on it. Plus, they did not give you the formulas, you had to know them. Do you know if I can expect the same type of math problems on the GK test? Thank you.

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 4, 2010

The GKT is the most basic of all the tests. If you passed the middle grades, you should be fine on the GKT. If memory serves (I left florida a little over a year ago), you also get a formula sheet with basic geometry formulas.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 4, 2010

GK is Florida's version of a basic skills test, I believe: if you got through the math in the middle grades test you took, chances are you're overprepared for the math on the GK. If it runs to type for basic skills teacher tests, though, it's also looking for one or more formal essays of the sort widely satirized as The Five-Paragraph Essay.

22. irishjoetampa

irishjoetampa Rookie

Jul 4, 2010

Thank you mmswm and TeacherGroupie. I admit, I really had to review and study for the Math portion of the Middle grades. Actually, I was surprised at what I thought was the small number of math questions. I don't remember how many (even though it was only 3 weeks ago!) but I walked out thinking is was not that many.
    I just got hired as a Middle Grades Social Studies teacher after a career change and from what I am reading here, the GK can be a stumbling block. I plan to take it in September as I am required to pass it my first year. So, by taking it early, I will have at least a second opportunity to do so if necessary.
    Thank you very much for your assistance. I am thrilled to have found this forum.

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 4, 2010

Check out the local community colleges. I used to work for a rather large one, and one of the things I taught was a GKT test prep course. Also check out the community college websites. Quite a few of them have practice tests/problems on their websites.

24. irishjoetampa

irishjoetampa Rookie

Aug 11, 2010

Ok, I took the General Knowledge test last week and passed. I have to admit, the math portion was exactly what I thought it would be. Lots of linear equation questions and such. Having been away from math for so long, a review was in order. I would advise anyone taking this exam in the same position to purchase one of the review books for the math section alone.

25. iwant2teach

iwant2teach Rookie

Aug 26, 2010

TestFairy

I would need your help to pass the GK

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 26, 2010

The test prep resource that one test taker swears by, another swears at, iwant2teach.

Have you taken the GK exam before? What are your issues with it?

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 26, 2010

TestFairy, the site owner chooses not to allow public posting of individuals' contact information, on grounds that one doesn't want a nasty spambot to be able to snag that information.

What is your connection to the study guide you're selling? I notice you mentioning it on multiple forums.

28. iwant2teach

iwant2teach Rookie

Aug 31, 2010

TeacherGroupie
    I havent taken any part of the GK, Im still trying to pass the SAE K-6.

29. jennysh

jennysh New Member

Sep 9, 2010

FTCE Professional Exam

Hello,

I am trying to pass the Professional FTCE exam for the second time. I read on your forum that you passed it on your first try with a study guide. With the amount of money to retake the test again, please let me know if you are willing to provide me with the study guide even for a low cost so I can take the Professional Exam next time with passing . My email address is jennysh2000@yahoo.com.

Thank You

30. sweetiezr

sweetiezr New Member

Oct 16, 2010

Hi I am also needing the study guide, did you receive it? If so, let me know and I will send you my info to receive it.

Thanks

31. olive21

olive21 Rookie

Nov 16, 2010

Hi! I took my GK in fall 2009 and I passed the first time. What I did was I purchased the study book from amazon and took the practice tests several times :)

I hope this helps!

32. hzminda

hzminda Rookie

Nov 20, 2010

Hey everyone!

I am going to be taking the GKT test this Tuesday and I must admit that I am nervous! I checked-out a few study books from the library and have been taking the practice tests in them (So far I score in the 70% range).

The study books I checked-out are called "XAM FTCE General Knowledge" and "FTCE: General Knowledge Test" I heard that XAM's books aren't any good...is this true? I like the book to be honest. I have found some mistakes in it, but over all it is nice because it has practice tests in it.

After I take the test I will post about my experience; I'll let people know if it is as hard as we are making it.

M.H.

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 22, 2010

For any study guide on the market, hzminda, one can find people who praise it and people who pan it.

As you work through the practice questions, play with them and with the subject matter a bit: try imagining other questions that could be asked, or ways that a given question could be reframed that would make a different answer true.

34. irishjoetampa

irishjoetampa Rookie

Nov 22, 2010

Iused the XAM book in August when I took the test and I thought it was a great help. Many similar problems were on the math and english portions. I highly recommend that book.

35. hzminda

hzminda Rookie

Nov 23, 2010

I am going to be taking the GKT today. So wish me luck:D
    I think I am going to do good; just going to "freshen-up" on before I go.

M.H.

36. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Nov 23, 2010

Best wishes. Breathe. Relax. Review your answers before you submit them, assuming time permits. (You can mark them on the computer to go back to them if needed. Sometimes we tend to be like our students and partly read questions and assume we read it.):)

37. hzminda

hzminda Rookie

Nov 23, 2010

Just got back from testing and I am very happy to say that I PASSED:D! Yes, I passed! What a relief. The test was not as hard as I thought. I think the math was the most difficult, just because I am not that good. There were some concepts on the test that were not in the study books I checked-out from the library, but most of them were.

I am so excited! One down, two more to go.:thumb:

M.H.

38. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Nov 23, 2010

Congrats.

39. history

history Companion

Jan 28, 2014

I am concerned about the reading section and having to take it on the computer. The idea of marking up the passage and being to turn a page to the questions by just bending the paper is no longer an option. I reviewed part of the "Reading comprehension in 20 min. a day," and found they offer the above ideas, but don't address the computer issue and how to time your self. When I took the paper version years ago I was unable to finish the last passage. I had to fill in the answer and pray. Any advice would help:help: