General knowledge math test

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Melym1212, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Melym1212

Melym1212 Rookie

Jun 18, 2016

Help!! I just took the gk math twice and failed! I'm desperate! Any recommendations on what materials to use??? I have my temporary certificate and all I'm missing to get my professional is to pass this math portion!!

3. Riv

Riv Rookie

Jul 8, 2016

I feel your pain. I have taken it 5 times and haven't passed yet. Don't get discouraged, keep at it study! All I do is study and have a tutor every week. I feel like the FTCE study guides don't help much because they are too easy, the questions on the test are trickier than the study guides.
    Any advice anyone on what to do to pass this?

PetrMishikoff and Chaz like this.
  4. Melym1212

Melym1212 Rookie

Jul 17, 2016

I have started using these wiki pages. search subject area test prep wiki pages and you will find pdf resources for extra practice. It includes a lesson and then practice problems. I have also been going to a tutor for extra help! Also University of phoenix offers free ftce workshops for the general knowledge math as well.

5. Anich

Anich Rookie

Jul 20, 2016

I am so scared after reading all your posting. I will take Praxis Core Reading Test tomorrow morning. Any advise?

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 20, 2016

The General Knowledge math test is one of Florida's basic-skills tests, Anich. You might want to have a look around the Basic Skills Tests subforum (the one this thread is in) to find some of the threads that discuss reading comprehension tests.

7. ECeducatorTim

ECeducatorTim Rookie

Aug 3, 2016

The funny thing about that math test is that it is way beyond G.E.D. level, yet I've seen forums that do try to compare the two. The truth is that there is no way anyone is going to pass that test with just a G.E.D. book. I was once a purely mathematics major ( I have a BS in Science Ed), and because of that, I have the appropriate skills and did pass the Core Mathematics Exam. For those who are interested, my best advice to you is that you purchase the CASA CORE MATHEMATICS study guide, and work every problem in the book.

8. ECeducatorTim

ECeducatorTim Rookie

Aug 3, 2016

Relax. The reading test isn't bad. However, that Writing Exam is a MONSTER!

9. Melym1212

Melym1212 Rookie

Aug 6, 2016

I just took the math test for the third time and still didn't pass!! I completely devastated. Question: has anyone ever taken this test and only gotten 44 questions?? I always took this test with 45 questions. anybody have any idea? Should I call the testing company? could this have affected my score??

10. ECeducatorTim

ECeducatorTim Rookie

Aug 7, 2016

You need to purchase the CASA study guide and rigorously work every single problem. Also, go to the library and pickup some mathematics books and study those. I can't tell you anything else because I don't want to get sued. But, you can pass that test! It's just going to take a lot of work! If you have a friend who is good in mathematics, then I recommend that you get him/her to help you. The more you drill, the better you will be prepared. Good Luck!

11. Melym1212

Melym1212 Rookie

Aug 8, 2016

What is the casa study guide? How does it correlate to the ftce general knowledge math test? I've bought different study guides and they all seem useless. Thanks again

12. Claire Wilson

Claire Wilson New Member

Aug 9, 2016

Buying study guides won't help much unless you have logical thinking. When you are solving each problem, try to understand why it is solved this way and not the other. If you know basics, there shouldn't be any problems. You can train your math skills by doing some online math tests, checking out yahoo math answers, etc. And since you failed the test a couple of times, probably you aren't a math person but this shouldn't be an obstacle. Evaluate your mistakes. Change the way you are studying for your tests. Hire a tutor if needed.
    Good luck

13. history

history Companion

Aug 18, 2016

Claire
    The main problem with.the math Is the word problems .the majority of them are common core in wording. If you have not been teaching common core, this is a problem.
    As far as prep books, there is plenty of material.

14. ECeducatorTim

ECeducatorTim Rookie

Aug 19, 2016

I passed it the first time, and I received a very high score. What I suggested will work! I'm not saying to buy the study guide and just look at it. On the contrary, I am saying to buy it and rigorously drill yourself by taking the tests in the book and keep taking them without looking at the answers. When you get to where you can pass those practice tests, then you will pass the actual test!
    I passed the math test the first time so I do know what I am talking about. Unfortunately, I am not at liberty to describe anything about it because I do not want to be sued. If I didn't have that obstacle blocking me, then certainly I would share that information. Anyway! I do wish all the very best of luck! Furthermore, not only am I great in mathematics, I am also very smart in science, and there are a great number of mysteries that I can solve. However, I will never share anything unless I can benefit too! :)

15. ECeducatorTim

ECeducatorTim Rookie

Aug 19, 2016

I am Mr. H

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 19, 2016

Test takers are forbidden to divulge actual, specific test questions, true; one of the possible penalties is having one's passing score rescinded. There is no prohibition on discussing the testing experience, however, nor is there a prohibition on discussing the sorts of topics that tests like this can test. Over the years we've had a number of threads on which questions that weren't actual, specific test questions were posed and discussed, by way of demonstrating processes or principles that come up in these questions, and to the best of my knowledge (and I have good reason to believe I'd be told) there has been no difficulty from the test companies about this.

17. ECeducatorTim

ECeducatorTim Rookie

Aug 19, 2016

I wish I could help, but, at the same time, I must look out for myself.
    The only thing I can do is suggest that one goes to their local college and purchases Schaum's Outlines, Barron's Learning Guides, and the Standard Core Booklet, and then rigorously works the supplementary questions until the material is mastered. I don't care what anyone says, with enough practice, one can pass that test.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  18. ECeducatorTim

ECeducatorTim Rookie

Aug 20, 2016

I do have one more suggestion, and it usually helps people. Instead over exhausting yourself, try working just one or two problems a day. When you become frustrated, walk away and get your mind on something else, and then come back to it about a few hours later. Give yourself time. If you didn't pass the test, then that means you have a whole month before taking it again. Also, you can buy formula sheets. Yes! You do want to remember all of the basic formulas, and practice them constantly.

teach4USA likes this.
  19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 20, 2016

This is a public forum, ECeducatorTim; I try to remain aware that my posts will be read by not only the person to whom I'm replying but also any of a number of people who may be looking over our shoulders, so to speak.

20. ECeducatorTim

ECeducatorTim Rookie

Aug 21, 2016

Everyone has weaknesses. I have them too, but my strengths are in mathematics and science. Ironically, many people who have strong writing skills seem to be condescending toward me because I do struggle in that area! The truth is that I wanted to impart some good advice, but after I thought about how a lot of people are, at least here in this state, I decided to remain reticent because, when I don't, I always end up being the one who gets burned. I apologize. Good luck!

21. ECeducatorTim

ECeducatorTim Rookie

Sep 10, 2016

Hey! Good news everyone! I just passed the core writing exam.
    I passed the math and reading on the first try, but it took me two times to nail that writing exam.
    I think the reason for that is because I took them all three at once. Anyway, I passed all three of them, and I am ecstatic! :)

teach4USA likes this.
  22. teach4USA

teach4USA Rookie

Sep 15, 2016

23. ECeducatorTim

ECeducatorTim Rookie

Sep 16, 2016

They do give you a score, but they do not say whether it is or is not a high score.
    If you go online, then you can find comparison charts with Adult Education Exams, and you can utilize those to determine whether your score is or is not high. For example, I scored a 250 out of 300 on the mathematics test, and that is a very high score.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  24. teach4USA

teach4USA Rookie

Sep 16, 2016

They do give you a score, but they do not say whether it is or is not a high score.
    If you go online, ....

I am talking about the typical sheet given to anybody (I 've taken many and got the pass sheet)..it clearly says pass..all these analytics you are discussing is something you are doing on your own...very good. Very smart of you.

25. ECeducatorTim

ECeducatorTim Rookie

Sep 17, 2016

Check this out: http://spot.pcc.edu/~shenness/standards/GradeLevelRefs.pdf
    According to the statistics shown there, a score of higher than 245 demonstrates college lever or higher skills. I found this on line. Thank you!

26. Chaz

Chaz New Member

Sep 17, 2016

I need help passing the math section of General Knowledge and can't return to my job until I pass. This really sucks because I'm not that bad in math, but this GK Math is snatching my confidence and my money. (taken it 4 times already) Please someone help! Jett4400@gmail.com

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  27. ECeducatorTim

ECeducatorTim Rookie

Sep 21, 2016

My recommendation is that you find a good SAT instruction book. You're going to have to start utilizing reasoning skills. You have another month before trying again, so start drilling yourself every day by working from 5 to 10 problems daily, and do not make up excuses for not doing. Furthermore, do not look at the answers until you worked on a problem for at least 15 minutes. Sometimes, it's good to walk away, relax, think about it, and then come back to it. Also, google search is awesome. There are a lot of truly smart people who demonstrate the best way to solve problems. In addition, utilize youtube. Finally, I'm assuming you bought the book from the DOE. If not, do it! You can pass that test, but it's going to take work!

28. Chaz

Chaz New Member

Sep 21, 2016

ECEducatorTim, Don't know which DOE book to get, the FTCE book I did purchased from amazon was outdated and not very helpful. Have been Google searching, Khan academy, a tutor for couple sessions till $ ran out, etc....working really hard. Took teat again THIS MORNING. ...did not pass again.....Idk....trying not to loose hope. Appreciate for the feedback.

29. sophomorehope16

sophomorehope16 Rookie

Sep 22, 2016

Hi Chaz, I suppose I should have joined earlier in this forum but if you need some help let me know. I'm in the middle of my review for the math 6-12 SAE so I might as well practice while helping someone. I'm not teaching right now because I just passed my GK exams right after the school has started and was having a hard time getting a new teaching job which I suspect is from a bad reference which is another story from a thread. Anyways, if you're interested let me know.

30. Chaz

Chaz New Member

Sep 22, 2016

Yes I am interested. Jett4400@gmail.com

31. Chaz

Chaz New Member

Sep 22, 2016

32. vincischool

vincischool Rookie

Mar 17, 2017

Honestly its not good if not clear exam in many attempts. But don't worry and focus on study. Gives the best in next attempt.

Elementary School in Ottawa

33. Apr 18, 2017

I hope "Math16" android app, helps you in improving oral math skills with speed & accuracy. It improved a lot of my math skills.

34. ECeducatorTim

ECeducatorTim Rookie

Apr 19, 2017

It takes about 14 days to get the score. You have to log into your Casa Core account to see it. I took all three tests at the same time. The trivium.
    I passed the mathematics and reading right off the bat, but I had to retake the writing test.
    I passed the writing test on the second attempt.

35. ECeducatorTim

ECeducatorTim Rookie

Apr 19, 2017

I'm done with the Casa Core Exams. Now I need to get past that nearly impossible to pass Indiana Science Certification Test.

36. ECeducatorTim

ECeducatorTim Rookie

Apr 19, 2017

I'm still trying to figure out why the State of Indiana charges $112 dollars for those tests. THAT IS OUTRAGEOUS!

37. ECeducatorTim

ECeducatorTim Rookie

Apr 19, 2017

Okay! I have nothing to hide now!
    I did take, pass, and receive a score for the casa exams!
    I hate it when people think I'm not a veracious person. I do care about all of you who want to become a teacher, but, at the same time, I was informed that I am not allowed to disclose anything about any of the tests because I could be sued. I do not wish to be sued.
    Okay, check me out on google. I posted my scores there. Here is the proof: https://plus.google.com/u/0/110964446969321149920

annettepaynne likes this.