General Knowledge Math... FTCE

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Chinosride, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Chinosride

Chinosride New Member

Jul 13, 2007

Help... I have taken this test 2 times now and I have not passed. I am so BAD at math and this is the only area I need to pass for my certification. What are some good tips to pass this test? I am becoming very desperate.... I need some advice. PLEASE!!!!!!!!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 13, 2007

What in particular seems to be the problem?

4. Chinosride

Chinosride New Member

Jul 16, 2007

algebra, geometry, and measurment story problems..

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

I just got a GREAT algebra book from Barnes & NOble: Painless Algebra by Lynette Long ISBN 13-978-0-7641-0676-7 for $4.98.

6. PraxisMania

PraxisMania Rookie

Sep 5, 2007

Hey to the teachers,

I'll be practice teaching soon (elementary) and there is a teacher at the school I will be teaching at that doesn't believe in giving the students homework. Anyone agree/disagree with this idea?

7. learning2teach

learning2teach Rookie

Oct 2, 2007

Hi there,

I just took and passed this exam today (insert sigh of relief here!). It was my second try. A book that I think is worth purchasing and will help your students later is 'Math Dictionary for Kids' grades 4 -9 by Theresa R. Fitzgerald. It's $12.95 at Barnes & Noble and well worth every penny. It breaks math down into kid language and pictures for algebra, geometry, fractions, etc. etc.

Another tip for the test is to back into problems if you don't understand them. For instance, you will always be given 4 choices for each question. Estimate what you think is the correct answer first. Then, if it's a find the 'x' kinda problem, put the one that you estimated in the blank and answer the questions.

Here's another tip that REALLY helped me. I don't know where you are in the State, but Florida Community College has a channel on cable tv that I stumbled accross. You can check your listings. They have basic algebra instruction on there usually several times a day. Let me tell you, this was tremendously helpful to me! The person teaching is using basic algebra problems and working them through, step by step, on a whiteboard. She explains each and every step. The lightbulb went on for me after I watched this.

Another thought... use the 'cheat sheets' that are provided to you on the test. You also get a calculator, so make sure that you're comfortable using it before the test. That sounds so strange to say, but I didn't realize how many times I was actually using the calculator wrong or how many times I could have used a simple four function calculator to solve problems that I was struggling to do on paper. Just food for thought.

And the last thought... when all else fails, 'draw' the problem out. Draw cubes, squares, people, or whatever else to help you 'get' the problem. I used about 3 sheets of scratch paper during my exam because I am a very visual learner and have to see what the problem looks like. Do whatever works for you!

You'll do better next time. Don't worry.

8. learning2teach

learning2teach Rookie

Oct 2, 2007

Just looked at the date!!!

OK, I just noticed that your post was dated months ago... after I wrote my novel in reply! Oh well. Maybe it'll help someone else :lol:

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 2, 2007

Great advice, learning2teach - and good things to pass on to your future students.

10. cjo

cjo New Member

Jun 10, 2009

chinosride - I am with you! I am a 2nd career teacher who has failed the math twice. I have until 6/30 to pass the GK math portion and I am so terrified! I hate math and am a LA and Reading teacher. Learning2teach had good advice but I have a friend who is very good at helping/tutoring me and that makes a big difference. Beware of any online prep. guides attached to the name of Mark Buckingham. He is a fraud and sends you an OK sample test but also bombards you with emails that are ridiculous. Good luck and if you hear of anything that will help let me know! cjo

11. DramaLady

DramaLady Rookie

Jun 15, 2009

Strange Discrepency

Hi all!

I just received my official scores in the mail today. I knew that I had passed the reading, language skills and math because I had my unofficial scores. Under the essay, however, it said "not taken." I did take the essay and have the receipt of confirmation from the testing center that said they had it (at one time, at least.)

I had the "out of time" message pop up while I was proofreading. All the info that I found before hand stated that writing must end when time was up, but that you would not be penalized for being cut of, so I figured I was use all of the time given to double check my work. When the message popped up on the screen, the computer froze and the proctor had to assist me. I asked if my essay had been submitted and he said yes.

My question is this: have any of you, teacher groupie included, heard of this happening before? I don't mind taking the essay again if need be, but I really don't think it would be fair to charge me if it is a computer malfunction on their end.

Any ideas?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2009

Make your case to the testing people, perseveringly but politely, and hope for the best, DramaLady.

13. DramaLady

DramaLady Rookie

Jun 16, 2009

Thank you!

Thank you! I didn't have a chance to swing by the testing center today, but I will tomorrow. And, you all have my apologies. In the midst of my blind hysterics last night, I failed to realize that this thread is dedicated to the math portion. I'm much better now!:woot:

14. DramaLady

DramaLady Rookie

Jun 21, 2009

UPDATE: So, I talked with the testing people. They said that this has happened before and gave me a number to call. This was late Friday, so I was unable to call. Figured I'd wait until Monday.

This morning, I checked my account online and my essay now says "passed." I don't plan on celebrating until I receive final confirmation in the mail, but you can bet your patootie that I printed that page from the website.

So, crisis adverted...I think. :)

15. djaychad

djaychad Rookie

Jul 8, 2009

Chinosride, cjo,
    I'm with you there. I have taken the GKT math 3 times and missed passing it by 5, 3, and 2 points on my attempts. Math is my weak area! I have not done math in years. I really need to take it soon and pass. I just found out that this is the only area I need to pass to be fully certified. Any tips anyone?

16. kimcomm

kimcomm New Member

Jul 9, 2009

Still CRAZY after all these years

Just wanted to say how helpful your advice is still. I'm taking the test tomorrow morning, and was just checking for any last minute math advice (my trouble subject). Thanks for the tips.

17. brennanj

brennanj Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

math Praxis 2nd time around

Okay, So this Saturday I have to take the math portion again. The first time I never finished. I have been working hard, however, it seems that I can't recall whether or not formulas were given during the test. Does anyone remember?

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 20, 2009

Your location is Indiana: are you taking FTCE or Praxis?

19. flteacher1000

flteacher1000 New Member

Aug 27, 2009

Hi
    I USED Cliff's Test Prep book for the
    FTCE. It helped me a lot with all areas including the Math.

I borrowed GED prep videos from the library and watched them too for helpful math lessons.

I also used Cliff's Math Review for Standardized Tests. I worked through a few pages at a time, for several months and made flashcards to review what I easily forgot.

During the test I used maybe 12 pieces of scratch paper since I wrote nearly every problem out, drew diagrams, tried plugging in the answers for "x" and "y" to see if they would fit, etc.
    I did not feel like I had passed because it seemed hard, but Praise God I actually did pass my first try.

20. elleon0812

elleon0812 New Member

Aug 27, 2009

I need help finding out how the answers to the math portion of the 120 ESL 4-8 TEA practice exam. None of our math teacher at my school can figure them out.
    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2009

Can you post the questions?

22. mandijyn

mandijyn Rookie

Aug 30, 2009

I needed two trys to pass the math portion of the GKT. I Found a book called: Math Smart: Getting a Grip on Basic Math, published by the Princeton Review--- It helped tremendously. It is written for people that are better with language than numbers. I highly reccomend it for anyone struggling...