General Knowledge Florida

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Kathleen303, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Kathleen303

Kathleen303 Rookie

Dec 30, 2006

Okay, I've taken two different tests so far on this education/certification journey. I took the GRE for grad school, passed the K-6 subject exam on Dec. 22nd, and now I'm about to take the GK test on the 20th of January.

I have the currrent REA study guide, but I can't locate whether the math formulas are provided and if a calculator is allowed for this exam. The K-6 test did not allow calculators, but they did provide formulas.

I think my brain is becoming mush trying to keep up with all these various testing conditions.

Anyone know the scoop? :thanks: ;)

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 30, 2006

If you got through the GRE reasonably well, chances are that the General Knowledge test won't give you any grief.

Page 5 of the official document for the General Knowledge test, at http://www.firn.edu/doe/sas/ftce/pdf/ftcomp82.pdf, indicates that you'll be provided a four-function calculator and a reference sheet. That surprises me - the General Knowledge test seems more or less analogous to Praxis's PPST and California's CBEST, neither of which allows a calculator, whereas the corresponding content-knowledge exams (Praxis II 0011, CSET-MS Subtest II) do - but count your blessings, hm?

4. Kathleen303

Kathleen303 Rookie

Dec 30, 2006

Thank you TeacherGroupie!!!!

I went to that website, but I have so many favorite markers on my list that I was clicking in circles. I need to dump these websites after I finish these exams. I've acquired so many shortcuts, that I've confused myself. LOL

I am making a note of the testing conditions for this next round and will plan accordingly for the GK. ;)

Okay, another pot of homemade soup is simmering, and I'm headed out to the living room to do some more studying. Thanks again!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 30, 2006

Homemade soup is good, and so's chocolate...

6. TeacherStuff

TeacherStuff Rookie

Jan 1, 2007

HELP WITH UPCOMING TEST!

Hello! I have been on a bit here and there and I enjoy reading everyone's responses and I have definitely gained wonderful information!

I seriously am in crunch time right now! I am in Central Florida, getting ready to take my SAE Prek-3 on January 20th. I have purchased the online study guide, and have been doing research here and there. I have also been substitute teaching for the past few months... I desperately need to talk to someone who has recently taken this exam in FLorida!! I would love some advice as to what is on this exam (because as you all know, the study resources are limited) and I would like to know how to prepare in the next few weeks. Any type of website or book that could be suggested would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!:thanks: :D

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 1, 2007

TeacherStuff, take a look at the Competencies document: in which of those areas are you least comfortable?

8. TeacherStuff

TeacherStuff Rookie

Jan 2, 2007

groupie - thanks for the advice, but can you be a bit clearer? "competencies document" ? would I find this on the internet or just by going by each benchmark in the study guide?

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 2, 2007

You Floridians keep calling it "Competencies". It's the document to which I provided a link in my post #2 above.

10. TeacherStuff

TeacherStuff Rookie

Jan 2, 2007

us "Floridians"! heeehee :)
    I checked out the site, but I don't believe that info will help me with the actual Subject Area Exam... I believe it's going to be things like, methods, strategies, theories, curriculum... fun stuff like that!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 2, 2007

That's the shopping list you use to look stuff up on the Internet; it's also the standard by which you gauge whether or not what you find is helpful.

12. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jan 3, 2007

What exactly is on the reference sheet?

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 3, 2007

Formulas, I would expect - possibly the common ones for area and the like.

Floridians who've taken this thing, what can you add?

14. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jan 4, 2007

Gosh, i'm starting to get really nervous about the math portion.
    As an English major, I haven't had to take any math classes in a VERY long time.

Which study resources is everyone using?
    I have two books: Cliffs Test Prep and REA's FTCE General Knowledge. I haven't a clue if these are the best study aids out there, but they seem pretty detailed. I haven't heard any mention about what specifically is on the reference sheet in either book though.

Good luck to all you January 20th test takers!:)

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 4, 2007

GatorGal, if you did all right on SAT/ACT and/or GRE, you probably have plenty of math for this test. Breathe, please.

16. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jan 5, 2007

Haha-- Thanks for the reminder TeacherGroupie. :D

I did fairly decent on the SAT, I've never taken a stab at the GRE though.

I know i'll be ok. I just need to study.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 6, 2007

Best of luck, and don't be shy about asking questions about content here.

18. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Jan 6, 2007

I took the test last year, and passed first try...even the math part. I just got the state's downloadable study guide and studies with dh. (He took it at the same time.) If I can do it, you can!

19. Kathleen303

Kathleen303 Rookie

Jan 16, 2007

Best wishes to all of us this weekend as we tackle the GK test! :)

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 17, 2007

Courage, all. Don't overthink your answers in reading comprehension; do use mental math and estimating when you're doing math; don't use contractions in your essays (though they're fine in short answers); and don't stop breathing.

Oh, and have some chocolate, hm?

21. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jan 20, 2007

Wahoo, it's over. :D
    Actually wasn't so bad, but I sure am glad I did all those practice exams from my study aids.

How did all the rest of you Jan. 20 test takers feel about it?

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 20, 2007

Sounds good, GatorGal. I'm looking forward to hearing from the rest of the test takers.

23. Kathleen303

Kathleen303 Rookie

Jan 20, 2007

I had to go to my alternative education classes after today's GK exam, so it was a long day!!! Unfortunately I had a major fever/cold/sinus issue since last night, which only grew exponentially more uncomfortable as I sat in that cold room for 5 hours. By the time I got to the math section (of course it had to be last!) I felt like I had a 2000 pound head. LOL

Hopefully I was congnizant enough to make intelligent choices. :) I am officially going to bed after ingesting some meds.

Best wishes to everyone!

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 20, 2007

Hope you feel better soon, Kathleen.

If you could still spell "exponentially" correctly by the time you typed this post, you probably did fine on the test.

One moral of the story, all: dress in layers for testing, because the climate of the room can change and will almost certainly pass through something chilly. Especially when you're not prepared for it. (Sigh.)

25. Kathleen303

Kathleen303 Rookie

Feb 20, 2007

I passed!

I checked my status on the Florida Certification website, and it says that I passed all parts of the GK exam--my first time around. Yeah!!! I've been waiting to see that for a month now... especially since I had such a rotten cold and fever that day. Apparently I managed to engage the brain cells enough to plow through the material.

Ahhhhh... big relief. I just have my professional test to take. I suppose I will schedule it just before the EPI program ends--seems logical.

I hope everyone else receives good news too! :love:

26. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Feb 20, 2007

What's the link to check your scores? I can't find it. :eek:

27. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Feb 20, 2007

28. Kathleen303

Kathleen303 Rookie

Feb 20, 2007

Way to go GatorGal !!!!! Sending you a fine plate of cyber chocolates for celebration!!!!!

Hey, I'm going to take the English 6-12 too! Do you know what the general format is? I don't think they make a REA study guide for our Florida English subject test. Is there an essay on ours?

So far I've taken the K-6, GK, GRE, and now on to more subject exams! I wasn't an English major, so I'm sure I'll have a lot of studying for this one. I will take the Social Science subject exam later on, as that was my major in college. I have a lot of areas that I'm interested in... ha ha! My husband thinks I have a test-taking obsession. LOL

29. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 20, 2007

Congratulations to both of you!

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 20, 2007

Way to go, GatorGal! Kathleen303, I like your style. You're probably going to do just fine.

31. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Feb 20, 2007

Thanks Upsadaisy and TG!

Wow, you are well-versed in FTCE, English 6-12 exam should be no problem. :) This is what I printed off from the doe website. I'm still looking for something that shows the structure a little better.
    http://www.firn.edu/doe/sas/ftce/pdf/ftcomp13.pdf

I only saw one study guide on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/FTCE-English-...bbs_sr_1/104-5733499-1579956?ie=UTF8&s=books), but it is $60!!! There is no way I'm paying that. I honestly can't believe that there aren't any more study books out there.

Have you checked out Elmer's English notes from the "Single Subject Tests" forum? They are extremely detailed. Though they are aimed for a completely different exam, I personally think I will do well from studying certain aspects extensively.

I do feel as though I have a firm grasp on the stylistic aspects of teaching English in general, but I'm definitely worried about the questions that relate to methods of assessment, group strategies, etc. I haven't been a ST, so I don't have the background of knowledge that I need to fully understand what actually works when teaching English to high schoolers. Hopefully common sense will kick in. :D

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 20, 2007

Um, the chances that any two single subject tests for teachers of English are "completely different exams" is pretty darned small. That's why it makes sense to look at material for other tests - light can be shed in the darndest places...

GatorGal, try using Answers.com or Google to look up some of those teacherly terms you don't know yet, or to search for Web sites about teaching English.

33. Kathleen303

Kathleen303 Rookie

Feb 21, 2007

Ah, sorry for the previous typing error: "obsession" LOL Typing too quickly and decided not to spell check. Bad girl that I am. ha ha!

Anyway, I didn't know they even made a subject guide for our Florida English exam! I'll search on Amazon then--I just thought we were on our own for the subject areas, since it wasn't a "big one" like GK, etc.

I am more uncertain about the various literature examples, like having actual knowledge about particular stories, plays, etc. I haven't had all those "lit" classes that my dear English-major husband took at Stetson. I regret not spending more time in the English department, but time seemed so limited back then when we were trying to get all our core courses completed.

I plan on using Elmer's too. It is a great resource. I'll go hunting around and see if I can find more about the actual structure of the exam also. I've had great success using the REA study guides and our trusty friend Google. :)

Methods of assessment and strategies don't scare me all that much at the moment, only due to the fact that I'm currently studying these particular practices in my EPI program, and I feel that it is being covered quite well. There certainly is a lot to study throughout these EPI modules, and I'm excited to be involved with such a fine program to prepare me for the teaching field. Of course, knowledge applied within the classroom with be the real test, but a challenge that I know I will enjoy. It's a fun journey.

Thanks for responding. Let's keep in touch and get this English test accomplished!!!!!

34. Kathleen303

Kathleen303 Rookie

Feb 21, 2007

other English guides

I almost bought another English study guide yesterday (perhaps the Praxis one????) at Barnes and Noble, but I wanted to see how closely the exams mirrored each other in structure before I paid the $$.

Thanks TeacherGroupie!

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 21, 2007

What I'd say, I think, is that it's relatively easy to adapt pretty much any guide that covers the subject matter, once you know the structure of the test you're taking.

If that English-major husband still has any anthologies or handbooks of literature from his lower-division survey classes, you might find those quite useful.

36. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Feb 21, 2007

I've passed the hurdle of biology SAE...now comes the general knowledge test...which frankly gives me a bit of a headache because math was never my strongpoint in high school or college. I'm definitely going to seek out some of the study guides recommended here and begin studying for this test!

37. Kathleen303

Kathleen303 Rookie

Feb 21, 2007

we're old

Unfortunately we are 20+ years out of college. Those handbooks/textbooks are long gone. There's always the good old library! :)

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 21, 2007

Or the good old bookstore, or the good old university with students selling off their used anthologies - an anthology is not a bad classroom resource.

39. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Feb 21, 2007

You can get study guides that you download on-line from the Florida DOE. They are only a few dollars each.

40. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Feb 21, 2007

I definitely agree with you TG. I just meant to say that since they are completely separate exams given across the country, they won't be exactly the same as the SAE here. English is English though! :D

I'm definitely going to start looking up those "teacherly terms," I just feel like the end of April is going to sneak up on me quickly!

41. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 21, 2007

Looking for the similarities is a good way to study. Reliance on study guides makes me nervous in that it encourages people to focus narrowly on how the study guide approaches things - and tests are subject to change.

As to study and study time, let me suggest a shift of perspective, from how little time there is and what you're not getting done to what you are getting done - and what you're getting right, rather than what you're getting wrong. Self-bribery can be a useful tool here.

Oh, and you might want to take this discussion to the Single Subject Tests subforum, to get the benefit of the goodies there.