General High School Lesson Plan Advice

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by JustWondering, Jul 17, 2006.

1. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 17, 2006

I will soon be teaching for the first year and I am an Alternative Certification "Intern". My certification courses will not begin until after the school year starts and I am concerned about my lack of knowledge in lesson plans. I am sure the school will inform me of what they expect and when they want it however through all my excitement I keep thinking frantically about planning for next year. Specifically I will be teaching High School Math. Which courses are to be determined based on the possible promotion of one of the other teachers to an administrative position. Thanks in Advance!

3. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 18, 2006

I don't have any advice, but we are in the same boat. Hopefully we can lean on each other a little on this board. Good luck!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2006

Hi. I've always been HS math (although right now I'm looking at 6th and 7th grade...unless someone quits over the summer!!!) I've been there long enough that I don't have to submit formal plans, but here's what I do:

-I buy a1 1/2-2" binder in a different color for each prep, some plastic page protectors and either printer paper or looseleaf.

-With the syllabus in front of me, I open the the textbook. I make up a preliminary chart: lesson #, topic, Do Now problems, emphasis, homework problems. I fill in ideas as I go through the textbook, page by page.

-Then I go through the textbook, topic by topic. I map out the minimum number of classes I would need each trimester, if I were to allow only one day per topic (totally unrealistic, but it's an absolute mnimum.)

-I test every 2 weeks, so I figure in those days. (That gives me about 6-7 tests between Labor Day and Christmas for example.)

_I should still have lots of days to play with; those are the days I can allow for those more complicated topics.

-Then I go back to the textbook and outline how I'm going to present each lesson.

-I'm always very careful not to include the model problems from the text in my notes (other texts are fine!!!) I want the kids to have those examples to look at aside from what I present in class.

Let me know when you know what you'll be teaching. I've taught most of them from Algebra to Intro to Calc, I'll be able to help!

5. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 18, 2006

A to Z needs to donate to you for all the help you do for people one here! They do not know what I will be teaching just yet. One of their teachers might be chosen to become an administrator of a program. If that happens I would most likely be teaching Pre Cal with one Algebra I class. If it doesn't they hinted at geometry. I should know more soon! (at least I HOPE so!)

We can both share what we find then! I learned so much in the Job Seeker boards I feel that if I cannot find help on my own that I have a great resource here as well!

6. sciencenerd

sciencenerd New Member

Jul 19, 2006

Here's my hint to all first year teachers... STEAL!!! Talk to the other math teachers at your school, sit down in front of their cabinets and copy everything you can. Buy binders to put all of that stuff in.
    Now I'm sure that in your interview you heard that the school is super supportive, yada yada yada. However, if you are not proactive and seek out help, you may find that the environment is not as supportive as you were told. Like students, unless they ask for help, they won't know you need it.

Good Luck!!!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2006

Let me add: whenever possible, try to get a copy of the text from a year ahead and a year behind the course you're teaching. (IF not, then at least a syllabus.) You'll have a much better idea of what they already know and of what they need to know.

Gotta run...potty training crisis with my youngest :(

8. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 19, 2006

Ok I signed the contract today and after some sniffing around I was finally able to find someone who knew what I would be teaching. It looks like I will be teaching Algebra I. They sent me home with another teachers old teacher's edition of the book and said they would get me a curriculum outline soon. New teacher orientation begins on July 31st. I hope I am ready for the kids on August 8th!

***edited to add

I don't think I will be able to get copies of other books since I think I was lucky to get the one I got today! However that will be one of the first questions I start asking other teachers, etc.... Can I see what they should know coming in and what they need to know going out. I got to have lunch with a few people that are in the math dept. and they all welcomed me and introduced me to anyone we passed by. I am glad to receive such smiling welcomes and positive responses from my new co-workers and administrators.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2006

HI.
    That's great news! The kids will be young and new-- the older kids assume that because they've been in the building longer, they know more than you do. (Illogical, I know, but true!)

Ok, for starters, they may be coming from more than one middle school, so their skills will probably be all over the place. In theory, they should come in knowing positive and negative integers, but I bet you $1 that at least half the class has trouble with it.That could certainly be the focus of your first class, after you do your intro. Some will be able to solve a linear equation; some won't. Word problems will give most of them trouble.-- you'll want to be very organized in teaching them. (translation: teach them to organize the info into charts.)

I looked around a little for a copy of one of the Catholic High School Entrance Exams. I found this one:http://www2.ctb.com/state/NJ/coop/coop_2004_sample_practice_test.pdf

The kids take it in the fall of 8th grade, and it's meant to be a little challenging (so the prinicpals can find a wide range of abilities). But it should give you a starting place. You can certainly google others.

Find out the calculator policy. Our kids have to wait until they hit SOHCAHTOA in geometry to use one; that's probably stricter than most schools. But check-- it will effect how you teach equations involving decimals. (w/o calculators: clear decimals first. With them: dive right in.)

I also just started a thread with you in mind:http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=22314

it will give you a good idea of what they should know at the end of the year. Just look up any Algebra I REgents.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you. Give a yell if you need help!

Oops-- forgot this: ask one of those wonderful people in your dept who taught Algebra last year if they'll loan you last year's plan book. It's a GREAT resource: just xerox it (You can shrink it down to 50%) and you've got your timing all laid out!

10. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 19, 2006

First of all, wow and thank you! :D It's not overwhelming at all, I know there is a lot for me to do since I am not an experienced teacher.

Would it possibly be appropriate to have a few simple problems on the board the first day to asses some of thier basic knowledge of the positive and negative integers and see if they can solve basic equations? Or is that a little overboard to start with?

I think they are allowed to use them since another teacher has on thier supply list online that graphing calculators are needed. I will have to double check this and see if the school has any available for students who cannot afford such calculators.

Again, Thank you! :D As soon as I get done with this reply I will check that out as well as the test you mentioned.

I was informed by another teacher that if I needed anything just to ask and I plan on doing so! As soon as things get settled a little more but hopefully I can get that within the next week or so.

I have so many questions but I will ask them later. I love opinions, the more the better... I can make a better assessment of what's best for me by seeing what works best for others, I hope! :D