General help for teaching 5/6th

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by jbrinkm, Sep 18, 2015.

1. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Sep 18, 2015

I am a preschool teacher "IRL" but will be teaching a small group of 5th and 6th graders during the weekend (Sunday School). I know the pedagogy must be very different for these two groups, but it has been so long since I've taught older elementary/early middle school, that I'm feeling a little lost.

Can anyone help me with a few pointers for how to best teach this age?

Class length is 45 minutes and I have a curriculum but really no external obligations to cover it all. I want to generally touch on the material in ways that are meaningful and beneficial without being too structured. Please help!

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 19, 2015

Preteens are awesome. :)

They can have high level discussions. They LOVE helping others. They are figuring out the world and developing a world view. I would spend time talking about how they can apply things to their own lives. That is big at this age as they are starting to form their identity. They thrive off collaborating and talking with their peers, although they need guidance in this area as well. They are SO independent, which will be a big change for you coming from Pre K!

They do not enjoy being talked down to, and they can pick up on that quickly. If you respect them and show that you are genuinely interested in them, they will reward you with their love, respect, and loyalty. They love being challenged and solving problems.

This is not an age I ever thought I'd end up in, but I love it. I hope you do, too. :)

I hope that's at least a little helpful!

4. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Sep 23, 2015

Yes! Thank you.