General Ed teacher to Special Ed SC 12 to 1 to 1 NEEDS ADVICE...HELP!!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by AutumnButterfly, Aug 22, 2010.

1. AutumnButterfly

AutumnButterfly New Member

Aug 22, 2010

Hi!

I have been a kindergarten general education teacher for five years and have now switched over to a 12:1:1 (k,1, and 2) special education classroom. I feel so overwhelmed, I don't know where to begin.

*What teaching style/method is best used with such a diverse group (whole group, small group, individual)????

*Is this setting considered a self-contained?

*What's the best way to set up scheduling, centers, etc?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Pam

3. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 22, 2010

Welcome, Pam. Wow, that's a lot of information you're asking for. For the babies (I call them the babies - k-2, right?) you're going to need a small group table, a whole group (carpeted area), and individual work areas (desks or tables). It's self-contained if you keep your kids in your room all day - even if some go to speech, ot, etc. When it comes to scheduling, hit 'em with math and reading in the morning and think CENTERS. That way, you can do small group work with teams while the other kiddos work independently or in small groups with aides. Since they're so young, keep your centers timed and on the short side. I do "work stations" and have three 20 minute reading stations and two 20 minute math stations per day. In the afternoon, tackle science, s.s., art projects, cooking, etc. Look around this forum for lots of other ideas. Since it's the beginning of school, we've started all kinds of useful threads.

Good luck!

4. AutumnButterfly

AutumnButterfly New Member

Aug 23, 2010

Thanks, thanks, and more thanks! I will continue looking throughout this forum for more ideas and info:)

-Pam