General Anxiety Disorder

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jerseygirlteach, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Dec 30, 2014

I was looking for advice. I'm trying to make a New Year's Resolution to deal with my anxiety. I feel like it controls me. I worry about anything and everything. I don't want to sound like a crazy person, but sometimes I find myself calm and my brain starts actively searching for something to worry about until I find something. I worry about the most ridiculous things; it can't be normal.

I was wondering if anyone else deals with anything like this and has any advice. I know I'm going to get push back from people, but I'm completely uninterested and unwilling to see a therapist or take medication. I'll read helpful books or take advice from helpful people, though. :)

3. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 30, 2014

I see a therapist for my anxiety.

He says that some people with anxiety find activities such as yoga and meditation to be very useful in relieving stress and anxiety.

4. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2014

Start your day with any type of vigorous aerobic exercise for at least 30 minutes, combined with light weights that work any muscles that didn't get worked out during the aerobics, will stop the physical reaction to anxiety. This will relax your body and makes it easier to turn off the anxious thinking. If the exercise is vigorous enough, the effects of the physical exertion along with endorphins can last all day.

(If you typically start worrying in the evenings, then exercise after work.)

Allowing yourself to switch over to compulsive worrying is like giving in to cravings to eat junk food. You have to resist the urge by doing something else. You may be able to force your mind away from the anxious thoughts by replacing them with something equally as interesting - such as a good book, or studying, etc. If not, you have to physically do something that makes it difficult to focus on negative thoughts.

I should add that this advice is given from personal experience.

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2014

Bros, I have found that quiet activites like yoga and meditation don't work for me because my mind can still wander to the anxiety. They are a bit more effecitve if led by an instructor and done with a group which makes the activities more challenging, thus distracting. This is why personally, I have to do something more vigorous like running to music or aerobics class.

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2014

Like special-t, I have found that exercise helps. I went to a psychiatrist about my anxiety a few years ago when it got really bad because I was working in a terrible school. I would literally have nights that I was not sleeping at all because I couldn't turn my mind off. I told him I was not interested in therapy and he respected that. I took medication for awhile and found that it helped some, but was definitely not a cure all. When I switched jobs my insurance was a lot worse and I couldn't afford it anymore, so I stopped taking it cold turkey (which you're not supposed to do, but I had no side effects). The dr. I saw mentioned that exercise could really help. He said it really needed to be 40 minutes at least 4 days per week of vigorous exercise to see any real benefits. I was extremely out of shape at the time so that seemed impossible. I started with just walking about 6-7 months ago and have gradually built up from there and cut walking out of my workouts as I got more fit. I now do about 60 minutes of vigorous exercise 5-6 days a week, and I feel better than ever. I feel less stressed and sleep much better than I ever did with the medication.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 30, 2014

I've found that yoga doesn't really leave a lot of room / time to be thinking about anything. I'm focused on doing the move right, and when I feel like I got it, it's time to get into the next one. The only quiet moments are at the end, the last 5 minutes or so.

8. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 30, 2014

I don't have any advice, but I know exactly how you feel. I've been this way since I can remember, but it seems to have gotten worse since having DS four years ago.

I tried therapy several years ago, with little help. I get it in my head to try meds, I've even posted about it on here before, but then back out at the last minute. I'm going to start working out again in hopes that will help.

Sending huge :hugs: your way.

Beth

9. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 31, 2014

Honestly, sometimes you just need to try a few therapists before you find the right one. Took me until the third therapist (and nine months of trying different therapists out) to find the right one. Been seeing my current one for over four years.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 31, 2014

No advice.

Just :hugs:

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2014

Why aren't therapy and meds an option for you?

12. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 31, 2014

I have been working on mindfulness with my therapist. I was skeptical at first but worked at it and now find that it helps. Worth looking up

13. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Dec 31, 2014

I did therapy for many years to deal with anxiety and depression - all through my teens and early 20s. I'm not going down that road again. I no longer suffer from depression. I just have constant anxiety that terrible things are going to happen to my family or me.

I've always been against mood-altering drugs except for the most extreme circumstances - ever since reading Brve New World in high school. :). That's just for me, personally. I have no judgement for anyone else's choices.

14. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 1, 2015

Therapy can help with anxiety - and there are many different kinds of therapy. Hypnotherapy and Cognitive-Behavioral therapy to name two.

You could try biofeedback. I've heard that has some success with anxiety.

15. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jan 1, 2015