Gender Based classrooms

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Earth2me, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Earth2me

Earth2me Rookie

Jun 10, 2009

I recently interviewed for a position with a new school. Over the course of the interview, I found out that I would be teaching 3 classes of all boys and two classes that are all girls. There are no mix-gendered classrooms. Tha AP said that referrals and fights have dropped dramatically since they have implemented this plan. He also said most teachers are very happy with the arrangement. There are a few that complain the girls are too "chatty" or boys too "energetic", but those were the same teachers that complained about behavior before the classes were split anyway.

I find it very interesting. What do you think? Would it change anything that you do?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 10, 2009

I prefer gender-grouped classes whenever possible.

Because I teach middle school language arts, I find that I can better suit the instruction and materials to all male or all female groups. Plus, with all the hormones in middle school, keeping them separate helps there, too.

We only gender group in language arts and math. Students are mixed-gender in the other areas. The LA and M teacher prefer gender-grouping.

4. Earth2me

Earth2me Rookie

Jun 11, 2009

That's interesting. Do the other teachers prefer things this way or would they rather be gender-grouped as well?

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 11, 2009

The other teachers haven't had any single-gender groups, so they don't have a basis for comparison.

I don't really think I would like it if the kids were gender-grouped all day because I think that they DO need the socialization time with both genders.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 12, 2009

Read the book Why Gender Matters. Haviing a gender grouped class changes the way you do everything!

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 12, 2009

I think I'd love it.

8. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 12, 2009

I have done it a couple of times - the class just fell that way. You have to think through how you set up the classroom, your daily schedule, hands on activities, field trips - everything. I loved the girls class and the boys class, but I think my favorite was the boys class. Not having any sons of my own, I found them fascinating. Pretty low on the hugging though, and they followed the all girl class where I had to make a hugging rule!! haha!

9. holliday

holliday Comrade

Jun 12, 2009

I'm fascinated by the idea. But I don't know anything about the research on it (and I have no direct experience with it). I think I would have liked it when I was in middle school...but not ALL day.

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 12, 2009

Some studies say that as the students get older, girls start doing less well academically, and going with single gender classes bumps the girls up. I think it is the whole social thing that starts interferring with the academics.

But it is sure true that boys learn differently than girls. If you have a whole classroom of one, you will do things differently than in a mixed group.

11. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2009

I find this topic to be really interesting. I imagine it would have lots of pros and cons.

12. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2009

I loved it.

I had one section of girls and one section of boys for 7th grade social studies. There's no doubt that the girls were more chatty and the boys more energetic but I just molded the instruction to fit that and both did far better than my "regular" classes.

13. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jun 13, 2009

I've never had experience with it, but I would love to teach a gender grouped class at some point. I think it would be really interesting to see what happens.

I'm a bit surprised that the principal said referrals were down drastically. It seems at my school, boys fight with other boys and girls fight with other girls. It looks like gender grouping of classrooms wouldn't help with that????

Like I said, I've never taught in gender groups so this is all speculation.

14. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 13, 2009

In jr. high, the boys act out to get the attention of the girls; the girls act out because they are practicing to be drama queens, plus they flirt, both genders do, and keep everyone distracted.

15. KIF

KIF Companion

Jun 17, 2009

I'll be teaching a single-gender boys classroom (2nd) next year and am curious about an insight anyone may have.

16. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 19, 2009

I recommend the book Why Gender Matters. It helped me prepare for my boys' class. If you search on Amazon you might be able to find more materials that will help you prepare.

17. govols

govols New Member

Jun 23, 2009

Gender-based language arts 7th grade

I will be teaching a 7th grade boys and girls language arts class in the fall. After 38 years of teach, I am looking forward to a new challenge but need to prepare with reading and research.
    I am looking for gender-based curriculum and instruction suggestions.
    Thanks for your help.
    govols