gearing up again..where did June go?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherhoosier, Jul 11, 2011.

1. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Jul 11, 2011

Well, with four weeks left until school starts, it's time to slowly start putting myself back into gear...June just flew-I didn't get out of school until June 3, then spent the entire next week packing and cleaning my room so it could be moved..had a part time job from 12-3:30 on top of that...I think I gave myself a week or so of break after that...and then it was time to clean my room (8 bags of trash, 8 bags of clothes to the Free Store, and 5 bags for yard sale), paint it, and then tear up the carpet so we can put new flooring down...so there hasn't been much of a break..

I'm starting to get anxious for next year because I'm teaching a new grade level at a new school...I went there on Fri. and my stuff from my old school had just been moved over..I pulled out some professional books to start reading during my part time job(that ends next Monday:))..I thought I'd start slow, a few hours a day reading, and then build myself up to more next week..I don't know if I can even get into my new room yet (the person who was there before me was supposed to give me a call when she was done, but I haven't heard from her yet..), so it's useless to start panicking...yet...

I also haven't heard from my literacy coordinator, who said she would be in touch with me over the summer. I could call her, but I hate to interrupt her summer since I know how precious this time is off...

I envy everyone who doesn't go back until September..we've already got in 2 weeks of schooll by the time Labor Day rolls around..But we're projected to get out May 18 next year, that is, if we have no snow days...

3. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jul 11, 2011

I got you beat...I head back next Tuesday and the kids start the following Tuesday. I've been trying to get my mind back into work, but it's been hard. I have been reading, but I haven't been to school all summer. I am heading there today and more this week to get my desks organized and unpack my supplies I ordered.

We got out on June 1st. We are on a modified year round schedule and get two weeks off in between each quarter so our summers are shorter, but I'm ok with that. I love having two weeks off between each quarter.

4. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Jul 11, 2011

You are heading back soon! I know our school district is talking about doing a year-round schedule too..in some ways I like it, but it is a lot of transitions for kids..How do you like it? This afternoon at my job I read for about two hours-Kathy Collins' Growing Readers..I read the first 100 pages or so and then skimmed the last 100 since I was running out of steam..so I guess I can say I've accomplished something today..this week is my transition week..next week I will have to start working more....

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2011

We also have two weeks of school prior to Labor Day, but our last day wasn't until June 16!

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 11, 2011

**Mrs.A**, next Tues, yikes!

I go back Aug 8th, so exactly 4 wks left, which I know will zip by like the previous wks. I should be starting a new job as a SLPA...I hope, so this will be exciting! :)

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2011

Oh I understand how fast summer flies. I've had to do lots of housecleaning (from neglect throughout the year), had a yard sale myself, taking the kids a million places. I always plan way too much for summer break. Before break begins it seems like a really long time, but once it starts it goes ZOOM!

Of course I do have to say we are lucky to be in a great professional that allows us to have a break, get our stuff back together and rejuvenate. Many professions do not receive this. Sadly, I think this may be going away within my own career so I will enjoy my summers while I have them. Yes we work hard and summers are a well-deserved break, but I don't know how other people work year round with no vacation often times..... Summer breaks can really spoil ya!

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 12, 2011

In my district, the kids start on August 15th and teachers go back August 8th. YIKES!!!

9. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 12, 2011

Well, we've been out since May 20. My June was spent in the those ever popular training/workshops. Teachers return on Aug. 1 and students Aug. 8.

10. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 12, 2011

Teachers Inservice July 28, 29, and August 1. School starts the 2nd. I feel your pain. :p

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 12, 2011

Teachers go back (officially) August 16 (I'll be back in my classrooom next week, lol). Students begin August 18 (a Thursday, can you imagine???). I know teachers that get everything done in those 2 days (along with having pro development & meetings), but I don't know how they do it!

12. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 12, 2011

I have an inservice on July 27-28. Teacher's first day is Aug. 11, students come on Aug. 15. I am SO NOT ready.

13. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 12, 2011

I'm with you pwhately. I plan on getting back in there next week and getting everything done. We have four days of preplanning. Monday- system-wide PD (nothing done on this day) Tuesday- school planninng day (maybe an hour or two to prepare room). Wednesday-nothing planned yet. Thursday- nothing planned for A.M. Meet the teacher after lunch from 1-3. Some of the teachers in my building will be walking around like this:dizzy:, but I'll be like this:thumb:. Of course I'll help others we aren't finished.

14. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2011

I also need to go in early but we aren't really allowed into our room until the week prior to teachers returning to work. Students then start two days later.

15. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 12, 2011

We are not allowed into our classrooms until 2 days prior to the start of school. It is hard, but I've learned to go with the flow. I add posters daily - it actually gives me a chance to discuss the wall "art" with the kids so that they know how to use these great resources.

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2011

We just got out on 7/2, and we return 8/8, and the kids return a week after that. But, with nothing to do, I will fine and ready to get back. I really enjoy teaching, and it beats just sitting around the house.

17. outsidethelines

outsidethelines Companion

Jul 12, 2011

Our last day was May 20th. Teachers go back August 8th for in-service, and the kids start back on the 17th. I love the time off, but part of me is ready to be back in the swing of things.

I was just talking with a friend about how fast the summer has gone and that I can't believe there is only 4 weeks left. Then I realized how ridiculous that sounds. 4 weeks itself is a pretty nice vacation, and just a week or 2 feels like a long time right before spring break!

18. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Jul 13, 2011

I just found out that I can get my keys today..I couldn't get them until the teacher that was in my room before me had cleaned her things out..I'm still working in the afternoons this week, so tomorrow and Friday are pretty much out (I am enjoying sleeping in...this will probably be the last week I will let myself do that)..I may go in Sunday, but most likely, my first day back will be Monday...so I think we have 3 weeks and then half of a week.....a lot to do, but I need to take it one step at a time...

19. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 13, 2011

I start, at my new school, on July 25th! We're doing a three week teacher inservice and students don't eventually come back until August 22nd. I'm really excited because of the team building opportunities our inservice is going to provide and to be working with a new group of awesome people! I was lacking some excitement over the past couple of weeks but I think that has to do with not being a teacher this last school year. I've got to get in the swing of things again!

20. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 13, 2011

Students got out June 7, teachers June 9. We have to spend 3 days @ school before we start Aug 16. We can use that time to plan, make copies, decorate, etc. I usually break it up into 1/2 days. We start inservice the 16th of Aug (a couple of days earlier if newbies), and the kids come back the 23rd of Aug.

We've had 2 weeks for Christmas the past couple of years, but not this year, so that enabled us to start a week later than usual. I'd rather start early and have two weeks at Christmas!

Summer is flying; I have butterflies already.

21. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 13, 2011

How does the modified year round work? How long is your summer break? Do you find that the two weeks between marking periods is enough to de-stress AND plan for the next quarter? If yours is a modified plan, what is the schedule for true year-round school? I end up crashing for the first couple of weeks after school lets out, so the thought of not having that time doesn't feel good to me. Luckily, I don't think we are changing any time soon.

22. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Jul 15, 2011

Well, year round can be a variety of ways, but I think the most common is 9 weeks on, 2 off, and a 4-6 break during the summer..We are currently on a traditional schedule, but there is talk of changing after next school year..

I've will have had 9 weeks off, and it still doesn't feel like enough..Got into my room for about an hour today and was surprised at how much I was able to unpack and organize in that short amount of time..next week, I'm done working part time, so I will be in there everyday from Mon-Thurs (going on a weekend vacation on Fri-Sun)..

23. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 15, 2011

We go back Aug 15. Students go back a week later. I have a one day training at the beginning of August as well.

I am getting frustrated because the low budget has caused major changes in my district and I will likely be at a different teaching position and maybe a different school. I do much better when I have the time to mentally plan and prepare the year (as well as get physically organized). My principal read my email asking for an update on the situation, but has not responded (the email system lets us see when they open the email.) I'm so irritated about it. A month before school and no idea if I am teaching first grade or eighth. grrr.

24. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jul 15, 2011

Teachers have 7 weeks and kids 8 weeks off for summer, which is perfect since we do get the two weeks off between each quarter. I love having some time off between each quarter to recharge. I'll usually take the first week to relax and then use the second week to plan for the new quarter.

25. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 15, 2011

6 weeks of my 4 weeks off I was in Montessori training... so I get a full 2 weeks off. August 1st our workdays begin and August 4th the children are back!

26. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2011

I have three days of training the first week of August. Then we have two days the next week. Teachers go back Aug 15 for meetings all week. We will also have meet the teachers night sometime in there. We start school Aug 22. I spent most of June in my room working on stuff. Just a couple of hours a day. I went today and picked up a few things to work on at home. I'm kind of ready get to get started. I have had enough of cleaning house.