gas money-Need Advice!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by teachur4kidz, Jun 1, 2006.

1. teachur4kidz

teachur4kidz Rookie

Jun 1, 2006

This may sound like a really silly question, but I need some advice. I have been offered a job for the coming school year. It takes approximately 40 minutes to get there. It will cost me about $350 in gas every month. I was wondering if anyone knew if there are any governmental funds specifically for this that you can apply for and/or has anyone ever asked the school to supplement your salary for the cost of gas? I'm hesitant to ask because I don't want to press my luck and I realize it can be one of those take or leave it situations. I just need some advice? Please help!!! :confused:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2006

Since most of the salary scales are posted, I don't see any districts rushing to give a gas supplement. The taxpayers who foot the bill for salaries aren't getting one, so you can probably count out any support from that sector.

All I can suggest is a smaller car &/or carpooling. Sorry.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2006

Carpooling is the only answer I see as well for all the reasons Alice just mentioned. Currently I am not teaching, but I do get mileage reimbursement since I drive constantly for my job. If it's any consolation to you- I'm breaking even between the wear and tear, etc.

5. radan2

radan2 Rookie

Jun 1, 2006

How severe is the traffic on your commute? If it is only moderately severe, you might consider getting a motorcycle or motor scooter. My 550 cc Honda Shadow m/c gets between 47 and 57 MPG. If motorcycles intimidate you, consider a scooter. They have automatic transmissions, so you don't need to learn how to shift.

If you do go that route, be sure to get one that can keep up with the traffic on your route.

I use my motorcycle on every dry day. I choose not to drive in the rain.

Jim Wayne

6. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jun 1, 2006

Carpooling is your best bet - I'm not sure what part of MO you live in, but if it's a metro area and are commuting to a rural school, there are almost always other teachers who are making the trip too. Of course your other option is to move... I moved into the town where I taught my first year. It was nice to be a few minutes away. Later I got tired of living in a small town, and moved back to the city. :)

I've done it both ways... Most of the time I was commuting about 25 miles each way, and didn't carpool. Gas didn't cost so much then so it wasn't as much of an issue. It does take some sacrifice to schedule things with another person. (One of you may like to get to school early, the other might prefer to stay late, after school commitments may differ, etc.) One year I drove 45 miles each way, and not only was I filling up my tank every 4 school days, it was very draining to be on the road so much and so far from school. I would do the 25 mile commute again, but I would not want to do 45 miles... It was too much. It would be easier to move closer.

7. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2006

Geez, get a car that gets better mileage. Assuming a worst case of 40 miles each way: (40 mi x 2 x 22 working days per month) / ($350 / 3$ per gallon) / = 15 mpg.

Never heard of a gas subsidy. But, if the district is in dire need of teachers, you might be able to negotiate it.

8. teachur4kidz

teachur4kidz Rookie

Jun 2, 2006

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I talked to my boss of the new job today and he informed me of a lady that works at the school who lives about 10-15 minutes from me. He suggested we carpool. I know it is a long trip to and from, but there simply are no job opportunities this coming year in and close to the city I live in. My choices are stay where I am now and get no benefits, insurance, retirement, and deal with the crappy pay (and when I say crappy I mean crappy) or carpool to my new job and recieve about the same pay as I'm getting know, but recieve benefits, health insurance, and retirement. I am really excited. Mostly about the health insurance. Since I turned 21 I've not been able to afford insurance on my own. Now that I'm 27, and have health insurance through my job I can decide to have children and know that I'm covered. At my old job I was going to have to pay several hundred dollars to get health insurance through my husband. Not only would I have been paying an arm and a leg but it would have been covering me in areas I didn't necessarily need. However, I have been blessed tremendously in other ways through my old job and I thank God for that. Sorry this is so long. I appreciate you letting me express myself and thank you again for all of the suggestions. I definetely will take them to heart.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2006

Sounds like a good move to me. Hope the car pooling works out.