Gas could hit $4 a gallon by Memorial Day!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kinderkids, Mar 26, 2008.

1. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

May 16, 2008

Can you imagine if they did this again? People wouldn't know what to do! I know what it's like to live far from work, but can you imagine what would happen if you lived 50 miles from work and were issued aa "A" sticker? Would they tell you to find a new job? Interesting...

2. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 16, 2008

My husband drives over 100 miles to and from work every day. He spends a fortune in gas. He works at a hospital so maybe they'd let him go!

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 17, 2008

They actually tossed around the idea of gas rationing stamps in the 70's.

My mom says to my dad.."Well, if we let her get her license, then if the start using gas stamps, she can get more stamps for us. :confused:

and mind you...the most they would let me do is pull the car out of garage!

being the selfish and confused teen I was..I figured why should I help out and get gas stamps, like getting extra stuff with coupons in the store...

you won't let me drive! :crosseyed

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 17, 2008

oil crisis of 1973...by Wikipedia

Price controls and rationing

In the U.S., drivers of vehicles with license plates having an odd number as the last digit (or a vanity license plate) were allowed to purchase gasoline for their cars only on odd-numbered days of the month, while drivers of vehicles with even-numbered license plates were allowed to purchase fuel only on even-numbered days.[9] The rule did not apply on the 31st day of those months containing 31 days, or on February 29 in leap years — the latter never came into play, since the restrictions had been abolished by 1976.

In some U.S. states, a three color flag system was used to denote gasoline availability at service stations. A green flag denoted unrationed sale of gasoline. A yellow flag denoted restricted and rationed sales. A red flag denoted that no gasoline was available at the service station but was open for other services.[10]

Coupons for gasoline rationing were ordered in 1974 and 1975 for Federal Energy Administration, but were never actually used for this crisis or the 1979 energy crisis. [11]

[edit] Conservation and reduction in demand

Gas coupon printed but not issued during the crisisThe U.S. government response to the embargo was quick but of limited effectiveness.[citation needed] A National Maximum Speed Limit of 55 mph (near 90 km/h) was imposed through the Emergency Highway Energy Conservation Act to help reduce consumption. President Nixon named William Simon as an official "energy czar," and in 1977, a cabinet-level Department of Energy was created, leading to the creation of the United States's Strategic Petroleum Reserve. The National Energy Act of 1978 was also a response to this crisis.

Year-round daylight saving time was implemented: at 2:00 a.m. local time on January 6, 1974, clocks were advanced one hour across the nation. The move spawned significant criticism because it forced many children to commute to school before sunrise. As a result, the clocks were turned back on the last Sunday in October as originally scheduled, and in 1975 clocks were set forward one hour at 2:00 a.m. on February 23. The pre-existing daylight-saving rules, calling for the clocks to be advanced one hour on the last Sunday in April, were restored in 1976.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I remember the time change most of all...and it was totally weird.. but made a lot of sense..now that I think about it.

And...when the 1984 Olympics came to L.A., many business adopted flex schedules...so fewer people would be on the road...

Hmmmmm....:confused:

How come nobody is trying to do any of this now???

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 17, 2008

We're well above the national average here in central Ohio. The local news is reporting that it's so bad, gas thefts are on the rise. On Wednesday, a semi driver pumped almost $992 of diesel and took off without paying. Sadly, that's about a week's worth of fuel.

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 17, 2008

3.69 at one corner, 3.73 at the other corner:(

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 17, 2008

I saw on our local blog... fill up this weekend around here because it will go over $4 on Monday!!!

8. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

May 17, 2008

$4 by Memorial day??? I have been paying that for over a week now. It has been flutuating between 3.90(9/10th) and 3.99(9/10ths)

I don't care what anyone says but three dollers, ninty-nine cents and nine tenths of a sent sure sounds like four dollers a gallon to me!!! Thank goodness hubbie likes to ride his motorcycle so we can avoid using the van as much as possible. Problem is, I still have a long, expensive commute to work.

9. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 17, 2008

It is now $4.40 in Chicago. It went over 4 I think 2 weeks ago:(

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 17, 2008

:eek:

11. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 17, 2008

oh, God! That is horrible!

It's 3.75 here :(

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

May 17, 2008

It is 3.84 today, but I'm sure that will change tomorrow.:rolleyes:

13. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 17, 2008

3.76 here. I remember freaking out about gas hitting 3.00 last summer. I REALLY hope we're not freaking about about 5.00 a gallon next summer. I can't live like this. It's really putting a strain on me financially.

What are people outside a major city supposed to DO? Public transportation does not EXIST in the country! If taking a bus was an option, I'd do it... :(

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 19, 2008

car pool
    demand flexible schedules, 7hrs 4 days, 3.5 hrs Fri.
    Fridays off
    alternate days off/job sharing
    ask for early vacation
    when it warms up...teach in local park, bring bag lunch

one of my childcare sites lost power, and they held class in libarary!

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 19, 2008

I only live about 8 minutes from work but some people in my school drive a good distance. They are setting up a carpool because people are really have a hard time.

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 19, 2008

One day, when my daughter was in 3rd grade...I stayed home. I was living with my folks then.

My dad knocked on my door and said, "You're not going to work?" I said, "No, not today." He said, "Are you sick?" I said. "No." "Is the baby sick?" "No." He shrugged his head and left.

I couldn't afford to go to work. She was off, so I took off too. I would have to pay Kindercare for the whole day, and I couldn't! It was ruining me! They were just off last week. Half day, and teacher inservice day behind it. Every day she was off, I had to pay extra for child care! And a half day of school cost me a full day of child care! It got to the point where I couldn't go in - I had to call in sick!... :unsure:

17. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

May 19, 2008

Yes baby...gas is now $4.05-$4.30 here in NY.

I only drive now if necessary.

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 19, 2008

It's official...Chicago is highest in nation!

Good thing I don't have anywhere to go...I couldn't afford to get there anyway!

Glad I have my own heat..it's only 50 degrees out. Landlords shut off heat April 1st. I only turn on heat at night.

I can save money wearing an extra sweater, and not turning on heat in my car!

Only going out on interview days. Do all my errands in one trip, one direction.

:(

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 19, 2008

Prices have dropped a smidge here from their $3.99 high last week. I'm still hoping to land a job where I can drive a scooter, and I'll buy one with my first teaching paycheck!

20. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

May 19, 2008

My husband just got in his car and drove three blocks to home depot...that irritates me!! After that, he will come home and then walk to the gym. Why not walk to HD and then stop at the gym on the way home and walk home then...AHHH!!!

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 19, 2008

One of the stations here as dropped fro 3.69 to 3.65

22. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

May 19, 2008

:rofl::rofl::rofl: that is my hope too.

I am seriously weighing my options here to get a motorbike. Only thing is on days when I wear skirts, it will be difficult.

23. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 19, 2008

I have been thinking about a scooter as well, but with all I lug to and from school and cold yucky weather 6 months of the year, a motor scooter would not always be practical. And I have no where to store it!

24. kermy

kermy Companion

May 19, 2008

awwww....I hate gas!

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 20, 2008

$4.09...I bought 2 whole gallons! Just so I wouldn't get stuck on E!!!

26. AZSpedtchr

AZSpedtchr Rookie

May 20, 2008

It was cheaper to buy diesel than unleaded when we got our Jetta.....now it's $1 more :(

27. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

May 20, 2008

The Geo Metro, years 1991-1995 (and others, but these are the best) get 40mpg as built from the factory, the same as a Prius.

If I could I would buy one tomorrow, but I have a car loan that I cannot pay off with the sale of my 32mpg city 39 mpg Honda Civic that actually gets 29mpg

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 21, 2008

soo...do you think sales on mopeds and electric bikes are really going to increase? I thought about a moped many moons ago..but like another poster said..where the heck would we put all of our junk?

How do you look professional hauling your materials around in a tote bag on the bus?? I did that for years, the typical commuter, working in offices downtown.

If I found a job close to home, I would try it...at least until wintertime.

29. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 21, 2008

the salvation army sells used cars. many are classics at blue book value that seniors just couldn't keep anymore.

bank that financed my car keeps harassing me about refinancing...sounds like more trouble than it's worth...

could I get lower payments for a longer contract, and when I get a good job, trade it for a new car?

30. cmw

cmw Groupie

May 21, 2008

Ugh! I just paid 3.99/ gal. :down:

31. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 21, 2008

MPK- it depends on the value of the car when you trade it in. You can get lower payments by extending the time on the loan, but you might have negative equity

32. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 21, 2008

My husband works on the ad campaign for the Mini Cooper, and sales have indeed gone up for them. I guess people really are starting to buy smaller. We, on the other hand, just bought a Liberty. I suppose with only one car, we can handle it.... but I do hope there is an end in sight for these prices.

33. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 21, 2008

meaning that the car won't be worth much when I trade it in?? Won't that be the case regardless??

Uh, will they refinance it if they find out I don't have a job? :rolleyes:

34. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 21, 2008

This is actually becoming something of a market on e-bay. Some guy is actually buying up old Metros, fixing them, and flipping them on e-bay. I heard about it on the news recently.

35. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 21, 2008

Gas prices jumped 14 cents last night up to $3.75 for ethanol blend (cheapest).

36. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

May 21, 2008

Its $4.29 now.

37. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 22, 2008

Insult to injury...you could fly somewhere this weekend...but now you gotta pay $15 bucks more for your luggage!

Which they will probably lose, and you will ending buying more clothes anyway...waiting for them to find it, or reimburse you!

38. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

May 22, 2008

It hit $4.19 here today, some stations as high as $4.22

39. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

May 23, 2008

Oh as soon as they lose my luggage that I paid them extra to take care of...that won't be pretty! I get paid when I babysit, what if I charged extra to actually watch the children as opposed to just sit in their house?? Sorry...

Back on track, gas here is $3.85 and we are going no where this weekend if I have any say in it.

40. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 23, 2008

I just paid $30 for 8 gallons of gas! I want to throw up.