Gas could hit $4 a gallon by Memorial Day!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kinderkids, Mar 26, 2008.

1. kermy

kermy Companion

May 7, 2008

i hate GAS!! $3.89..bull crap! I have been riding my bike a lot more.

2. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 7, 2008

Well, I wish I knew

I wish I knew I would be getting fired this week..

I wouldn't have filled up my gas tank!

I could have bought resume paper, or ink cartridges or

a couple of packs of chicken wings...and a loaf of bread...

which is all I'll be eating for awhile

$3.99 9/10 in Chicagoland...

and Thursday it will drop to 40 degrees again

:|

3. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

May 7, 2008

Latest update for West Los Angeles, CA:

4.05 unleaded
    4:15 supreme

:help:

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 8, 2008

what about Costco?

5. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

May 8, 2008

My closest costco is either Marina Del Rey or Van Nuys. Both are about 15 miles away. :( Unfortuantely I would use a gallon of gas driving over there.
    I know that they are about 25 cents less a gallon than most gas stations. But since it's so far away, I don't think I would be saving anything.

I don't understand how gas is only 3.00 per gallon in some states.
    No fair!

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 9, 2008

anybody try gas at the grocery stores?

I can't see how that stuff can be any good...

my dad taught me never to by no-name gas..

and to this day, I will drive on E and pass up every no-name, off brand station!

I also try not to get stuck on worse part of town, because that is more likely to get you robbed. Thugs hang out near the pumps! The clerk is behind a glass counter!

wish they would come up with a wave and go, or zap and go LED credit card/debit card...so you don't even have to get out the car with your card before you pump gas!

7. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

May 9, 2008

Couldn't live without get-go gas....from Giant Eagle. I figure that gas is gas....the same goes for name brand-who knows what they put in the "name brand". I have been buying a lot of off brand name food too-and surprise, surprise-it tastes the same!!! My family doesn't even notice. Cutting corners is a must these days. If the grocery store is going to give me money off to buy their gas, then I will do it.
    As for gas stations in bad parts of town-I agree!!!

8. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

May 9, 2008

We buy the Kroger gas. Customers get so much off the price on the gas - depending on how much is spent on groceries.

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 9, 2008

I do Wal-Mart gas when we're on that side of town. If you have a Wal-Mart card, or even put money on a gift card, it's 3 cents off every gallon. It adds up.

Right now gas is $3.69 here.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 9, 2008

$3.59 here now at the major chains, $3.48 for the off brand. If everyone would switch to the off-brand gas, that would really put a dent in the profits of major companies to where they might do something.

11. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

May 12, 2008

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!

12. kermy

kermy Companion

May 12, 2008

Totally! Ithink that if really the vast mojority really did a don't buy gas for a day. It would really shock them!

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 12, 2008

yeah, but buying off brand gas..is that good? I thought it wouldn't be bad for your car.

14. glenn

glenn Rookie

May 12, 2008

I have never had a problem with off brand gas. In fact I have found that I get better mileage with fuel that is not from one of the big oil companies.

Main thing is you get fuel flter service every couple of years.

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 12, 2008

really??? my Dad talked me out of getting Clark gas. I used to avoid Valero in CA. Now I see Valero is here in IL. Yet, I bought Costco gas, and had no idea where it came from...

guess that was the same thing, huh?

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 12, 2008

My mom just sent me an email about everyone boycotting buying gas on Wednesday. I don't have the heart to point out that it only means that people will simply gas up enmasse on Tuesday or Thursday instead. Just remember to change your oil on a regular basis and avoid speeding excessively, and your mileage should be optimized.

17. smalltowngal

May 12, 2008

See? That's why boycotting gas on a specific day won't work, but if we tell everyone we know to go to off brand gas, and they tell their friends and so on, then its bound to cut into profits of major gas companies.

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 12, 2008

Let's face it...how many of us carry our lives around in our cars! As teachers, we have to pick stuff up, drop stuff off...go to this meeting, that meeting...pretty difficult to do on the bus.

I bet admin would be less likely to say jump here and there if we tell them we need 4 buses and a train to get there.

if I could get from point A to point B safely, without out leaving at sunrise and coming home in the wee hours of the morning...I would do it.

I am already mapping out routes and looking for safe places for the jobs I'm seeking. Park along the way...bus in to work, drive home.

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 12, 2008

This is from a guy in our state who follows gas prices.... just thought I'd share his thoughts with you all!!!

When will the fever break? $3.999 appears to be next.
    Comment on the April 30th posting: There was a hike last week to $3.89, so any brave predictions that $3.75 was the high for the year was dead WRONG.

Saturday, May 10, 2008, 4:45 PM: My previous prediction was based on the observation that metals had stopped going up and agricultural products had stopped going up, so now it was energy’s turn. Nope. You know, though, this is what happens at the end of a big run up — instead of 50 or 100 things going up, only 2 or 3 do, until the impulse to buy disappears. At some point soon, that will happen with oil and gas, and there will be a day when the wholesale price drops 10% in one day, and at that point the fever breaks. But I have no idea when that will happen, and the way wholesale prices continued to climb through Friday was scary. NYMEX prices are up 10 cents since Tuesday, putting the 20-cent margin price at $4.01, and NYMEX is working better than AXXIS for predictions right now. So, the scene is set for a hike this coming week to $3.999 a gallon. Ugh!!!!

20. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 12, 2008

chicago is proposing new bus-only lanes, like they have downtown, on some neighborhood streets. the best part is, the bus riders must prepay, so the bus zips down the street...express, no waiting for folks fumbling with change or bus cards.

which I never figured out anyways..how low and dishearting it is to kick somebody off the bus..even a drunk. take him a block or two for Pete's sake!

does anybody carpool?

or at least use the carpool lane with friends & family?

21. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 12, 2008

It is 4.00 here and I can no longer afford to drive all over the place. It takes about 40 bucks to fill the tank and I have to fill up more than once a week because my job involves a lot of driving. It is so depressing.

22. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

May 13, 2008

My husband rides the bus every day and I don't drive that far, but it is definately being factored into my job search. Unfortunately, the buses here don't stop near schools because the schools have private buslines for the kids.

23. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

May 13, 2008

Come to CT! Its already $4.00 and ABOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

May 13, 2008

Yes, I saw gas for $4.59 today. :eek:

25. smalltowngal

May 13, 2008

And I thought $3.69 was bad! :eek:

26. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

May 13, 2008

Turtle where are you! $4.59 is the highest I heard of. We just topped at $3.99 today! I know by Memorial Day it will be mid $4.00 range!

27. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 13, 2008

We hit 3.69 for the cheapest gas (ethanol blend). I think the premium is pretty close to $4 now.

28. kermy

kermy Companion

May 13, 2008

it's going to b over $4 by Memorial Day...so sad!

29. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

May 13, 2008

$3.99.9 and rising.

When is the government going to do something??? I wish Ford had never deregulated the oil industry!!!!

I will not ever believe that the oil industry has to charge these rates, never. I even saw an ad in last weeks US News, the oil industry claims if caps are put on prices it will only hurt the middle income americans that have oil stocks, as that is where ALL of the profits are going. I really do not buy that at all....

For those of you that are interested in trying, and have a mechanically inclined family member. You can try the new way to fuel cars, water. This guy has invented in his garage a way to use water as a welding torch, much safer than the acetelyne type. He also converted the technology to create a water/gas hybrid that increased his fuel economy greatly. Here is the website, at this point it is worth a try, they say the parts are only about $60. Fox news did a report on the inventer, and showed his car working, so I don't think it is a scam.

http://www.runyourcarwithwater.com/?hop=cyprusmete

30. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 14, 2008

Here's what a guy on a blog I follow wrote.

Weds. AM update from Patrick: “As Speedway hiked to the predicted $3.999, I was busy looking at markets to see whats going to happen next. Unfortunately, it looks like things still aren’t as bad as they will get. I expect gasoline to head above $4 in the next week or two, and diesel prices look like they will accelerate toward $5 as global demand continues to cause supply worries. I expect diesel to hit $4.75 and rise as high as $5 here in the area before moderating into the beginning of summer. There isn’t much you can do except to park the car for a while or to trade in the gas guzzler. We’re in a period of sustained higher prices. Don’t expect prices to get back into comfortable territory for quite some time. For the immediate future the outlook is: higher prices until early June, some moderating towards July, and a pickup in prices in mid-August as Hurricane season arrives. Hurricane forecasts can and will greatly effect pricing, so stay tuned to those forecasts. Bill adds: This will be a more active hurricane season than last year or the year before (so since 2005).

Wldywall... you know this reminds of the "Dirtiest Job" episodes were one guy heats his house with manure...I mean he does something to it to make the house run & the guy who uses grease from restruants to run his car!!!

The gov't needs to do more to get these inventors doing just that...inventing an alternative to fuel!!!

31. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 14, 2008

Jeez, a bus card is starting to look better and better these days...

:(

guess I'll go find out how much they are...

gotta get something, because it costs $2.00 for each bus, no transfers!!

so much for my cushy dream job in the 'burbs...

32. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

May 14, 2008

A family friend of my teaching partner owns a gas station. He states gas will be $4.00 minimum by Memorial Day and $5.00 by July 4th.

I believe there are cheaper alternatives to gasoline but the big oil companies aren't allowing them to get out. Why would they when they are getting STINKING RICH with their continued raping of the American consumer? It seriously makes me want to lead some kind of revolt! With the billions of billions of dollars profit oil companies made last year, you'd think cutting the rest of us a break wouldn't come so hard.

MPK, we don't even have a bus here or any other kind of mass transit system. I live in the country so I have to drive about 15 miles round trip to work everyday. Granted, that's not 85 miles like someone in another post mentioned, but still.

My youngest sister is having her second baby on May 28th (C-section) and I'm supposed to go out (southern Kansas) to help her out with the new baby and my 3 yo nephew. That's approximately 825 miles ONE WAY. Right now (at 3.89 a gallon,) one fill-up will run me about $63.00. So the four fill-ups required for a one way trip will run me $252 with a total of $504 for the entire trip. That doesn't include any gas I'll need for the three weeks I'll be there. Sadly enough, gas will be higher than $3.89 by then so I'm looking at even more. GEEZ!

33. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

May 14, 2008

AAAaand, I did some figuring and found out I don't have enough saved for my summer expenses, (we are off work in the summer, do not receive pay and cannot get unemployment.) I either figured wrong last fall or I figured wrong last night when I was determing how much to pull out of savings and when. I'm in full blown, my stomach hurts panic mode. :eek:

Sorry....off topic there.

34. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 15, 2008

The government will never let these inventors get a paten or produce on a large scale if they can find a way to stop them. These inventions would hurt Big Oil, and I can't even guess what the lobbiests for Big Oil pay the government to protect their interests. Have you ever seen the movie "Chain Reaction"? It seems like it could be happening today! Everyone is paying through the nose for fuel, Big Oil is raking in masive profits, and some of those profits (I strongly believe) are getting to Big Brother by way of the lobbiests.

35. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 15, 2008

A bus card around here isn't really an option! Things in Montana are so spread out and far away that people HAVE to own cars, there is no way around it!

36. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 15, 2008

Cute BB Learner4Life! My kids wanted to do something like that, but our BB has a huge statue right in front of it.

37. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 15, 2008

Awe thanks :wub:

38. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 15, 2008

I heard this on the radio yesterday. Guy says, "I went to the pump and it asked me to select cash, credit, or second mortgage". Sad but practically true! :(

39. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

May 15, 2008

Runs, the guy who invented the water torch and the water/gas hybrid has a patent.

This isn't just a giant consipriacy that we cannot do anything about. We can vote differenlty, and we can bug the snot out of our representatives. We elect them to represent us, not do their own thing and we have no choice. If you don't like (this is for everyone) what is going on in Washington, then do NOT vote in the same congressman that has been there for 20+ years. Lobbists get what they want out of the congressman that have been there the longest.

I am still not sure who I will vote for, but McCain had a good idea yesterday. He says he will veto any bill that has pork barrel spending or ear marks (the way the lobbiests get support from the government in my opinon). ANY BILL. If the president dosen't sign those kinds of bills, and if the American people get really mad and flood our representatives mailboxes with mail complaining about lobbyists and everything else, we can get change. It worked before, remember the Civil Rights movement and the Vietnam protesters? America got mad, america made it known, and congress did what we wanted. So why are we just taking it now as if we have no choice?????

40. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

May 15, 2008

Imagine how this would be. Just thought this was fitting seeing as this happened 66 Years ago today:
    gas rationing
    Gasoline was rationed on May 15, 1942 on the east coast, and nationwide that
    December. The OPA issued various stickers to be affixed to the car's
    windshield, depending on need. To get your classification and ration
    stamps, you had to certify to a local board that you needed gas and owned no
    more than five tires.
    The 'A' sticker was issued to owners whose use of their cars was
    nonessential. Hand the pump jockey your Mileage Ration Book coupons and
    cash, and she (yes, female service station attendants) could sell you three
    or four gallons a week, no more.
    For nearly a year, A-stickered cars were
    not to be driven for pleasure at all.
    The green 'B' sticker was for driving deemed essential to the war effort;
    industrial war workers, for example, could purchase eight gallons a week.
    Red 'C' stickers indicated physicians, ministers, mail carriers and railroad
    workers, and incidentally were the most counterfeited type. 'T' was for
    truckers, and the rare 'X' sticker went to Members of Congress and other
    VIPs.
    by Paul DeLucchi