Gardening with children

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Audria007, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Audria007

Audria007 Rookie

Apr 12, 2016

We are currently in a gardening unit and will be planting some fruits and veggies. Does anyone have any tips on how many seeds to plant and how to label the garden. Also wondering if you have any ideas on signs to put up around the garden asking other children to watch their children carefully around our garden. Our gardening section is in a fenced in area that sometimes other teachers take their children to run around. The area and the last time I tried planting something a child from another class dumped soapy water in my plants and killed them. Any tips and advice would help. Also if you have suggestions of what to plant. I have some seeds for this year but I would also like to plant flowers

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2016

A farmer girl once told me make sure you have 2 seeds or that don't grow. Lol.
    We do a garden at home. We grow beans. They come up nice and a lot of them.

I know our school grows a community garden & they have a wagon in town that all food is donated to & anyone can get items off the cart.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2016

Can you put a small fence around the garden so that your seedlings aren't disturbed by other children? Also you should talk to your colleagues about your garden plans. Perhaps they'd like to plant with their classes as well. If you absolutely can't keep the planted area protected from curious toddlers, you might consider planting in small containers in your classroom.

5. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Apr 12, 2016

You can use thick popsicle sticks to label. They're easy to decorate and kids can draw pictures to show what it will be.

6. Floria

Floria Rookie

Apr 23, 2016

We do have a specific area of garden in our school for planting and kids are not allowed there. Only teachers with their students can go for programs like the one you are describing. We usually plant 3 seeds and proper depth and cover them. And you can try small wooden label boards on different ares.

7. Jiya

Jiya Guest

Sep 20, 2016

Sounds great! Gardening keeps kids close to nature, something which many aren't getting a chance to these days! Also, they get a chance to apply what they are learning from their classes.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 20, 2016

I would build simple raised beds - that clearly defines the garden space, they really aren't that expensive or difficult, and you may be able to get parents to volunteer to do that work, maybe even volunteer the materials. The more buy in you get across a wide portion of the population, adults and students, the more likely you are to be successful. Raised beds are also easier on the back, easier to keep weed free, and the dimensions can be changed to adapt to your student's sizes and capabilities. Good luck.