Gardening Tips

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MissScrimmage, May 25, 2014.

1. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 25, 2014

I love gardening! It's definitely a hobby and not a talent. I'm itching to start planting ( we had a loooong winter) and I thought it would be fun to start a gardening thread full of everyone's best tips, pictures and success stories. Anyone else interested? I'd love to learn more about producing a successful, fruitful garden. My garden last year was a bit sparse and I'm eager to become more knowledgeable.

What are you planting this year?
    Do you use any special products to help your garden bloom?

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 25, 2014

Epsom salts for tomato fertilizer!

I'm not allowed to plant in the ground where I live, so my garden consists of 5 gallon buckets around the patio.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 25, 2014

We have green beans, corn, tomatoes, three types of squash, six types of peppers, and watermelon.

We use manure in the soil when we till the rows and no other fertilizer. We always have big, beautiful plants.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 26, 2014

I don't do well with veggies. I do better with flowers.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 26, 2014

WE will be planting ours as well...hopefully next weekend!
    I do have raspberries out of our garden spreading like wildfire & a big spot... hoping to have a lot of berries. Just used potting soil & transferred from my gmas house. She'd be so happy they're doing so well!!

I love hostas... grow in our shady spots big & beautiful & my iris plants!

7. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

May 26, 2014

I know I'm an anomaly, but I love weeding. It makes me feel so productive! I pull on my tactile gardening gloves, play a science podcast on my iPod, and pluck those suckers out of the ground. It's one of my favorite summer activities!

8. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

May 26, 2014

My husband is a landscaper. Look up your plant climate zone. You will have the best luck if your plants are happy in their zone. Also pay attention to the amount and type of sun your plants need. The plant tag is usually quite specific. Another tip is to take time to prep your soil before plating.

9. K1teach

K1teach Companion

May 26, 2014

I have a black thumb and kill all plants. But my husband is a great gardener and we have beautiful flower beds and a vegetable and herb garden. I love going out and snipping herbs for dinner as I am cooking. My oldest son and I have been watching the strawberries grow waiting for them to turn red. Today was the first day we got to pick some! I showed him how to pick just the berry and then he ran it to daddy, who had the hose, to wash it so he could eat it! I helped him pick a few and then I had to get back to my younger son and it was awesome to watch him walk carefully through the garden to pick more!

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 26, 2014

Well today I realized that during yesterday's enthusiastic weeding session I pulled out a bunch of perennials. Oh well! Now there is room to plant other flowers! I tell ya, I'm a bit of a disaster out there! But I love it so much!

K1teach, there is nothing like eating a fresh strawberry from the garden! I hope mine do better this year - like actually produce fruit!

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 29, 2014

We just planted tomatoes, jalapenos, bell peppers and pickling cucumbers. I have been wanting to make cucumbers for a few years so I'm finally getting the chance! I also planted 2 blackberry bushes but I'm sure I won't be getting any berries for a while but I can't wait. I have a large pot for basil on my front porch. I have a few pots of assorted flowers also.

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 29, 2014

I bought all of my plants on Tuesday and am taking a day from school tomorrow to plant my gardens! Here's to a sunny day!!

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 30, 2014

I'll be buying my plants today on the way home from work and planting tomorrow--supposed to be beautiful here!

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2014

We planted our garden yesterday...fingers crossed!!!

Question...has anyone tried to transplant or take some )part_ of lilac bush or juniper plant? My gram has both that I just love and she's not in the best health and would to have some of it here at my house!!!

FIY the irises I got from my other gram (who has passed) are blooming....most came open yesterday...

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2014

I grow tomatoes and eggplant.

My mom grows canning tomatoes, green beans, zucchini, yellow squash, and cucumbers. She also has apples & grapes.

I have lots of perennials.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2014

I usually have a pretty black thumb. I was thrilled to see my lilies and hostas back after our harsh winter. Yesterday, I got mounds of petunias planted, the bushes trimmed and laid down black bark mulch. I'm afraid my climbing rose bush didn't survive; I'll give it another week or so, but if there's no sign of life it will have to come out.

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2014

MrsC...hostas are my fave so easy. I've learned my gram's irises are fantastic as well!!!
    I think we have 4 different colored hostas.