Garbage Collection

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Aug 3, 2009.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2009

Weird topic of conversation, but I'm curious. How does your system work? Once a week pick up? Limitations? Cost?

With just the two of us we have very little garbage, especially because we recycle. Oh, that's another question: is your recycling picked up? We must take ours to a recycling center. Anyhow, I find it entirely flawed and unfair that I pay the same for my one bag of garbage as a person up the street with five, six, or even more. If people were charged by the bag or by weight, perhaps more people would recycle. Of course, around here you'd also have to worry about more dumping, but...

As a child back in the 80s and 90s, garbage collection wasn't even offered where I live. We burned what we could and the rest went to the gully on the farm. :(

3. jenn888

jenn888 Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

Ours come once a week and its part of my HOA fee. I live in the county so they dont collect recyclables, but if you live in the city they will pick them up. I just give mine to my mom who lives within the city.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 3, 2009

They pick up our recycling once a month, but are thinking of getting rid of it because not enough people participate.

Ours comes once a week and only for the bin of trash - no bags or anything else will be picked up until heavy trash day which is once a month. My mother gets service twice a week with no limitations-same city, same fees. I always wondered how it could be so different.

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2009

We have three cans - trash, recycling, and green waste - and they're all picked up on the same day, once a week. We have the "smaller" size of the rolling cans; you can pay a bit more and get a really big one. Waste Management has the trucks that pick up the can, flip it up and dump it in the truck, and put it back on the street - very automated. Our fees include pickup of two bulky items a year.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2009

Once per week for garbage, once per week for recycle, once per month for yard waste (branches, clippings, ect) It's about $20 per month.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 3, 2009

There are two garbage collection options in my area. I pay $13 a month to a local guy who picks up once a week. They are also great to do special pickups of extra-large amounts or bulky items if I give them a call. Once we had a large amount of wire & metal, and they picked it up and took it to the recycling center for me. (I let them keep the money from it.)

My mom lives in town, and her pickup is part of her water & sewer bill. She doesn't have the option of not having pickup, and she also has the "7 & 7" rule, and her trash must be in an approved can.

There isn't a recycling program on my street, but there is in town.

8. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2009

My son takes it in the back of the pick-up to the county dump.
    $5.00 if you have recyclables and $7.00 if you don't. Take as much as you want. A lot of people do recycle--there are huge bins and areas set up along the way to the trash dumping bins.

There's a nice place where you dump tree limbs, etc, and they chip it all down and turn it into mulch. You can dump that stuff for free, and the mulch is free for the taking.

Prisoners help keep the place clean.

9. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 3, 2009

I have garbage once a week. I have the smallest can and it is hardly ever half full!

I have recycling twice a month which is picked up curbside. It is part of my city taxes.

I so wish we did yard waste pick up. We have to pay to have it disposed of. We have to haul it out to the "Brush/compost" site and pay to dump it! Stupid-I know!

10. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2009

Garbage gets picked up 2x a week, recycling once. We could use the reverse, really, because we generate 3 large cans of recycling a week and about a half a can of garbage. Oh, and we don't pay - other than by paying our taxes.

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 3, 2009

Garbage & yard waste is picked up once a week. It's part of our sewer/water I think. If not, it's part of our taxes.

12. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2009

JustMe, I love you for recycling even though it is not "convenient."

My roommate drove me nuts and made me very angry sometimes. We had recycling IN OUR PARKING LOT, yet they couldn't be bothered to sort. One went through 3-4 wine bottles a week and I always had to fish them out of the regular trash. Ditto the other roommate and glass pasta sauce jars. Made me feel like Kathleen Turner in Serial Mom!

13. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2009

I live in a complex with dumpsters. Our town does not have a recycling program- you have to drive it out to Timbuktu to get it recycled.

14. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2009

That is really horrible. And, of course, if you have to drive way out somewhere, that negates some benefit other than reusing materials.

15. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

My trash gets picked up twice a week (Wednesdays and Saturdays) and the recycling gets picked up every Wednesday. I love curbside recycling and I can't believe some people (like my boyfriend) think that curbside recycling where you don't even have to sort(!!) is too big of a pain. I'm working on him, though!

16. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

My trash gets picked up once a week....no recycling here in my town.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2009

Recycling and green bin gets picked up once a week.
    Garbage (2 bag limit--need to purchase tags for any extra) every second week.

Diversion of garbage to recycling and the green bin is huge here.

18. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

We are out in the country so there isn't any municipal trash program. There is a local company that will bring a dumpster for $X a month. We called them and they will come and empty the dumpster on Wednesday mornings around 2:00 am because that is when they are in the neighborhood. No thanks. We burn the burnables and take recyclables to town to put them in the recycle bins.

19. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 4, 2009

We pay a fee for garbage pick-up to the city (as most/many do).

With that fee you get garbage pick up on Tuesday and recycling/yard waste on Thursday. If you want garbage on Thursday as well it was something ridiculously cheap...like $10 a year.

Now in the townhomes both full days are included with our monthly fee.

20. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 4, 2009

We have weekly pick up on Sunday night/Monday morning for $12.35 a month.

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 4, 2009

We get ours picked up once a week. One garbage can and one recycling bin. There are different companies who pick up garbage and with some of them you can choose a smaller can and pay less.