Gang initiation

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mrs_thompson, Mar 19, 2009.

1. mrs_thompson

mrs_thompson Rookie

Mar 19, 2009

I have a question. Has anyone heard of the gang initiation scheduled for tonight at a Walmart store? I received a text about it. Then I got online and started researching it. According to the internet, it's a hoax. Does anyone know anything?

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2009

Its a hoax. I got it yesterday. I found several versions of it on Snopes.

It would still stop me from going to Walmart though.

4. mrs_thompson

mrs_thompson Rookie

Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I don't believe I will be going to Walmart tonight, just to be on the safe side.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 19, 2009

It's a hoax...it's been around numerous times, and no, it will not stop me from going to wal-mart. The whole idea of these things is to hurt the bottom line of the targeted store. Don't give the hoaxters what they want and maybe they'll stop.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2009

I haven't heard of this. What is it?

7. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Mar 19, 2009

This in and of itself should show you it's a hoax. We live on all four corners of the U.S., but received the same text. What gang is that organized that they can have initiations in Delware, Maryland and Dallas, Texas at the same time on the same night at the same place. Shoot, the U.S. government isn't even that organized. I sent back a text to the person who sent me the text asking for details and they just replied "IDK". IDK?! Well then don't send me this half brained, no-detailed crap.

8. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Mar 19, 2009

Add Georgia to your list e1t1. We got an e-mail saying the same thing at school today saying it was a hoax and to not let it concern us. It was supposedly "hearsay" from someone that passed it on to someone else and it "mushroomed". I agree with you e1t1. It would be a highly organized group. More organized than anything I have ever seen or heard of.

9. Cranmans

Cranmans Rookie

Mar 19, 2009

Really...so you want shop at walmart at all...

10. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2009

LOL - I got the txt too; here in Texas. A friend of mine found the story which originated in Florida...back in 2005 (date?); anyhow; that doesn't stop copycat idiots.

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2009

I'm just saying, if I was, by chance, on my way out the door to walmart, and I got a text that said people were going to be killed there, even if I knew it was a hoax, I might be a little paranoid and stay home.

Its really a non-issue because I was not planning on going to Walmart last night, nor do I really ever.

And considering one day of boycotting/avoiding a store does NOT effect bottom line (that's why those gas station boycotts that you also get texted about don't work), I wouldn't really feel bad.

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 19, 2009

My neighbor just came over and showed me the email on her I phone then I saw it on a to z.

Still, I don't think I will go to Walmart tonight. Not that I believe it of course, just because there might be idiots out there.

13. Cranmans

Cranmans Rookie

Mar 19, 2009

True.

14. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 19, 2009

Thanksfully no Walmart by me

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 19, 2009

Same here...never heard about this. What's supposed to be happening? Are they supposed to be killing people wearing a certain color of clothing or something?

I don't like Walmart & I rarely, rarely go there ever anyway. If I do, I'll try to go early in the morning to avoid the crowd.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 19, 2009

I also haven't heard of this.
    By the way, I absolutely refuse to go to wall mart. I don't know if it's a CA thing, but all of the wall marts that I have been at are always so dirty, disgusting, and smelly.

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2009

In my paper
    http://www.yumasun.com/news/message_48737___article.html/wal_police.html

Police: Wal-Mart shooting text message a hoax
    Yuma police said Thursday that a text message warning of gang violence at a local Wal-Mart is nothing but a fake.

"There is no truth behind it," said Officer Clint Norred, spokesman for the Yuma Police Department. "Anyone who receives this text should delete it."

Norred said the text message warned people to stay away from Wal-Mart on Wednesday evening because a gang initiation was going to take place there that involved shooting women.

The text message also said the threat had been confirmed by Yuma police, but Norred said that claim was also untrue.

"This same message has been circulating for years, so I believe it was altered to fit our community," Norred said. "It provides a very vague description of the event."

Snopes.com, a debunker of urban myths, says the fake message first appeared in 2005.

The e-mail did not name a specific Wal-Mart, Norred said, but added that police have received calls from numerous people in Yuma who have received the message.

He added that it is similar to the fake Amber Alert that was sent out about two months ago.

Norred suggested that people who receive text messages such as this one in the future to verify the validity of them before forwarding them on to other people.

"All that does is continue to perpetuate the incorrect information," Norred said.
    --

18. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Mar 19, 2009

Weird I had a friend call to warn me today too

19. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Mar 19, 2009

I just got this text!

20. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 19, 2009

My brother's friend got the text too. My brother called my mom at 1am to tell her! If this has been around for years, I wonder why all of a sudden it's been circulating the past couple days?

21. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Mar 19, 2009

Some bored idiot decides to re-circulate these things to garbage up people's inboxes. Have you ever received an email about a missing girl with red hair, and the mother has a deal with Microsoft donating money to her for every click someone makes on a certain website? (or something to that effect). They come around, then they thankfully disappear for a while.

22. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Mar 19, 2009

OMG! One of my students was talking about this today and I just thought she was making it up! She said her mom got a text!

23. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 19, 2009

It's just pretty amazing how something stupid like that can get to so many different people in so many different places so fast!!

24. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Mar 19, 2009

I've been getting this text from various friends for the last three days and they all say that this is happening "tonight". Well, it's been tonight for almost a week. I live an hour from the nearest wal-mart, but if I did live closer, I'd go "tonight" just to the thumb my nose at these things. I don't take anything serious that comes through text messages unless it's my mom or my sisters, and sometimes not my mom because she just forwards stuff. Text messaging is the same medium that brought us the infamous "forward if you're not ashamed of Jesus" texts. Pfft....delete 'em all I say.

25. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 19, 2009

I got a text tonight from one of my friends. According to snopes.com, its a hoax.

26. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 19, 2009

According to snopes, the local news, yahoo news, Miami-Dade County police, and the list goes on and on. It's just silly.

27. KDS

KDS Companion

Mar 20, 2009

one site i was reading about this said (jokingly) that Target was sending out the texts.

28. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Mar 20, 2009

ha. Nah, not Target.It was the last of the K Marts. Battle of the marts if you will