Games in the classroom

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Deeena, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Oct 22, 2007

I am finding out that my students love playing games to review different concepts in class. For example, we play Jeopardy a lot to review for math tests. Another game my students like is called Mix-N-Match. I play this a lot in math. I pass around index cards with a problem and an example. The students have to mix around the room and try to find the person with their match. When I say "freeze" they have to stop mixing. I pick a few students to see if they really do match up.

I would like to play other educational games with my students to keep them engaged and help them comprehend the material. What type of educational games do you play with your class?

3. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Oct 22, 2007

I love to play Leapfrog. Leapfrog is where I have a set of frog cards made with the numbers 10-50 on them. Two cards in the stack have the word Leapfrog on it instead of a number. Kids come forward to do the math problem racing against another team. Whichever team gets the correct answer first gets to draw out of the stack. If they get a number card, that's how many points they get. However, if they get the Leapfrog that means they get ALL THE OTHER TEAM'S points and that team goes down to zero. It's really a great game.

I also love Swatter. Swatter involves me having all the answers to the problems written on the board. One student from each team is given a fly swatter. When I call out a problem they have to "hit" the right answer. It's a great educational game also.

I hope alot of people respond to this thread because I LOVE doing games in my classes and really want to learn some new ideas!

4. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Oct 22, 2007

What about games for subjects other than Math?? I don't teach Math or Science but my kids love playing games!! But I can't really think of any for subjects like Social Studies or English. So far we've played Jeopardy and Who wants to be a millionaire. But I would love to find more games because we still have another 8 or so months of school and those 2 games will get boring after a while.

5. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Oct 22, 2007

I've played a game with vocabulary words in language arts. It is very similar to iheart5thgrade's "swatter" game. I basically put all of the definition to vocab words on both sides of the board. I call to members of the class to stand in front of the board. I let another student call out the vocab word. The two students walk to their side of the board and point to the definition that matches the word.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2007

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 22, 2007

I use any game. Sometimes I tweak the candy land board with index cards for questions. You could tweak the monopoly board. I even use tape on the table and require 2 students to answer questions before they can put X and O on the tic tac toe board. I use invisible ink on popcicle sticks. I stick must say "SORRY!" If the students get the question or word on the stick correct then they keep it, until someone picks "SORRY!" and that person puts all their sticks back. They love relay races and hang man. You could even put up a science question that they have to guess then answer (thus winning a possible of 2 points for the team).

8. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Oct 22, 2007

In my class we play the swatter game also. But we list Vocab words and I say the definitions and a person from team 1 and 2 hit the correct word. We have a judge to make sure no one moves before I finsih reading and also to verify who slaps the word first and that the correct word is slapped-swatted.
    They love it!:2up:
    We also played a made up game, where I said the vocab definitions and if you got it right you kept on standing and if not you had to sit down and the winner was the last one standing, or last six standing- we did not have enough words. But it was fun, I am sure you could apply any subject to either of these games.

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 22, 2007

We play basket ball as a review game. First we dived up into two teams. Each team lines up and chooses a number between 1-50, closest goes first. Questions are alternated between teams. If an answer is correct the team gets 10 points added to its score and the person who answered correctly gets to shoot a basket (toss my Koosh ball into the waste can) from eith the 10, 20, or 30 point line. If they make it, they get that many more points added to their score.

For spelling we play a version of heads up seven up. It starts out the same, but before they get to guess who touched their thumb they must spell a given spelling word correctly.

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2007

11. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Oct 24, 2007

how did you make the card on the computer? Please do not find this funny, I am not a computer person but I am learning.

12. cmw

cmw Groupie

Oct 26, 2007

Call It - I use it with music symbols, but I'm sure will work with other things. You have cards with words on one side and symbols on the other (not matching). When you make the cards you decide which symbol starts it. For ex. one card has the word half note. The person with the half note symbol stands. Then they call the word on the back (whole rest). The person with whole note symbol stands and calls the word on the back. Game goes until all students are standing. I make enough for 30 students.
    Live Tic-Tac-Toe - like regular tic tac but you use chairs and people from teams get to pick a spot if they get questions right.
    Panel of Experts - 6 people sit in front & try to answer questions. The goal is to be an expert the longest # of rounds. ;)

13. IRAEnglishT-chr

IRAEnglishT-chr Rookie

Nov 1, 2007

I bought a game last year from Discovery Toys called Wiz Kidz. It's the best $10 I ever spent! It's just a little box of cards that fit right inside my purse (we take it on road trips all the time!). There are two sets of cards-- one set has the letters of the alphabet and a score (like W...6 points) and the other set has categories (like "something sticky"). I have two kids at the board racing to come up with a word that starts with the correct letter and fits the category. My kids LOVE this game!

I now use the same concept for Spelling review every Thursday- two kids compete to be the first to spell a word correctly the fastest. The first one done (and correct) scores 5 points. If the other team spells it correctly without looking at the other team's answer, they get 3 points. I have used this for all subjects now!

I made up a game just last week for math and all you need is a deck of cards. Split kids into teams of four and give each team a deck of cards. Have the kids in each group split into partners and have one child in each pair be the "player" and the other be the "caller." Have two players sit beside each other and two callers sit beside each other, across from the players. The players each get half a deck of cards (Jokers removed) and place them face down on the table. [It doesn't matter which cards the players get, but you should be sure each player gets 2 Jacks].

Players both turn a card over at the same time and the first caller to call out the correct answer keeps the cards.

Here are the rules:
    Multiply the two numbers that are played. For example, if a 3 and a 4 are turned over, the caller should call out "12!" Ther first caller to answer correctly keeps the cards.
    The numbers 2 - 10 are worth their face value.
    Aces are worth one.
    Jacks are worth 10, but call for addition instead of multiplication. For example, if a Jack and a 5 are turned over, the correct answer would be 15 because the Jack is worth 10 and you would add instead of multiplying.
    Queens are worth 0.
    Kings are automatic wins. In other words, if a king is turned over, the player who turned it over hands both of the cards turned over to his partner to keep.

I write it on the board like this to help the kids remember:
    A = 1
    K = Automatic Win
    Q = 0
    J = 10 and Add

This is basically played like War with a twist, I guess. I call it Twisted Multiplication.

We also play Hangman and Concentration with Vocabulary words sometimes.

I think it would be neat, but I haven't tried it yet this year, to construct a giant game board where each piece of construction paper is a space and the children are the pawns. We could make a large die to roll! Perhaps something like Trivial Pursuit would be good, where each subject would be represented!

14. Tinsley81

Tinsley81 Rookie

Nov 11, 2007

I love all these ideas!

A couple of things we do in class...

I make "Taboo" cards with vocabulary/Key words for Social Studies. Just like the real game, they have to get their classmates/team to say the vocab word without using 4-5 other words on the card.
    For example:
    President
    Cannot Say:
    Leader
    George Washington
    Abe Lincoln
    Executive Branch
    George Bush
    (Off the top of my head).

Another FAVE of mine is the Map Game. I pull down the map, pick a student who has to come up and without pointing, give the name of something on the map (sometimes, I'll say "It has to be in the northern hemisphere, or it has to be a body of water"). Then they pick students to come up to try to find it. Sometimes we do open book, usually not. Each student gets a predetermined amount of time (4-5 seconds) and the caller has to 'stump' a number of students (usually 4) to win. If a student finds it, they become the next caller. I think this is a Ron Clark game from one of his books.