Games for teaching fractions?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by atlantamomof2, Apr 25, 2005.

1. atlantamomof2

atlantamomof2 Rookie

Apr 25, 2005

Hi! WE are homeschooling so it's one-on-one lessons. What are some good games, (using manipulatives) that help teach fractions?
    Thanks! :)

3. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Apr 26, 2005

There is a book by Jerry Pallotta called, "The Hershey Milk Chocolate Fractions Book." The book takes a Hershey Bar and shows how to break it down into fractions. I did this in a second grade class and of course, they got to eat the Hershey Bar when we were finished!
    VShirk

4. Michelleh

Michelleh Guest

Apr 26, 2005

M & M 's

Use M & M 's to teach fractions. What fractions of the M & M 's are red, blue, yellow and so on? ;)

5. atlantamomof2

atlantamomof2 Rookie

Apr 26, 2005

Thanks, I'll try those!

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 26, 2005

I have both of those. The kids love it. You also can use the pizza idea. There are several types of games that use pizzas to show fractions, or you can make your own.

7. Maxine

Maxine Companion

Apr 27, 2005

dear mom of 2,
    If you are into making manipulatives, try imitating the famous set of blocks that have yellow hexagons, red half-hexagons, blue 1/3's and green 1/6. All of these fit on top of one another to show equal fractions: 2 greens make a blue, 3 greens make a red, etc. They can stack them even if they are cut from construction paper. Then you can talk about the portions as they "block off" a part of the original yellow hexagon.

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 27, 2005

Some books I don't think have been mentioned..
    Eating Fractions
    The Doorbell Rang
    Fraction Action

In my math class this semester we learned about Fraction Kits. It was a really amazing idea that would be perfect for homeschooling. If you are interested I could get the details for you...

9. atlantamomof2

atlantamomof2 Rookie

Apr 30, 2005

Thanks! That's a great idea and I actually have those wooden blocks already!

10. plainjane

plainjane Rookie

Apr 30, 2005

Hi. I did a unit on fractions and a great book to use is called Fraction Fun by David Adler. For reinforcement and practice, get a bag of lima beans and place them on a flat disposable surface outside. Spray paint one side of the beans. WHen they dry you will have two-sided beans. Place any amount of beans into an empty film container. Have your children shake the container and dump out the contents. Have them tell you or write the fraction of beans that are colored blue, for example (if you choose to spray paint them blue). You can also use this for practice with adding fractions - just have them empty the contents of two film containers and add those (the colored side as the numerator).Have fun!

11. skelley

skelley Rookie

May 1, 2005

Fraction book

Another book that is SUPER to help teach the concept of fair shares and fractional parts is called Give Me Half.