Game ideas for independent games (math workshop)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissAmy, Feb 7, 2011.

1. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Feb 7, 2011

I'm thinking through the idea of turning my math class into math workshop style. I am looking for ideas for games I can have at a game station. I need games that I can adapt for different math skills. (I use Saxon Math right now. I like it, but I feel like there are too many students in my room each year that fall through the cracks on skills here and there.) Here's a few ideas I have:

decks of cards for place value, fractions, common factors, multiples, etc.

dice for a variation of the same game above.

blank board games with question cards (worksheets I cut apart)

tic-tac-toe with question cards

I plan on having 3 stations. Teacher, independent work, game station.

Any ideas for more games??

Games I need ideas for: missing addends, mean/median/mode/range game, word problems game, Divisibility rules game... generic ideas are goood.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2011

I use a deck of cards for decimals, addition, multiplication, division, integers, etc. Really any computational skill you can think of.

Divisibility rules: flip 4 cards or roll 4 dice. State all numbers that go into the larger number.

Mean, Median, Mode: http://www.education.com/activity/article/Mean_Mode_fifth/

4. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Feb 7, 2011

Thanks mopar!

5. math1abee

math1abee Companion

Feb 8, 2011

For divisibility rules:
    3 different worksheets with 60 different problems
    Answer keys to those worksheets
    Pencils
    1 stop watch per pair of students
    Divide the students in that center into pairs. One student will have the stop watch the other will have the worksheet. The student with the stop watch time the other for 60 seconds. The student with the worksheet will see how many problems they can complete in 60 seconds. After the time runs out the student with the timer uses the answer key to see how many the worksheet student got correct. Then they will switch responsibilities.

A way this can be fun is to make all the students in that center race and whoever gets the most correct after 60 seconds wins. Its sort of neat because the person with the timer can be like a coach and encourage the other. They can also keep a running tally so it can last as long as your other centers.

6. math1abee

math1abee Companion

Feb 8, 2011

Oh and if you have a SMART board or computer they have access to this is a very cool interactive missing addends game.

www.hbschool.com/activity/busy_bees/index.html[/url]