Gaining attention

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by porjer, Oct 12, 2006.

1. porjer

porjer Rookie

Oct 12, 2006

Hello teachers forum
    I am about to go for my final ATP and was just wondering all out there what is the best way of gaining attention before you begin your class
    Even during your class any techniques available would be fantastic...ill have no voice left if i dont get any tips
    Thanks
    p.s for secondary school students

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2006

turning the lights on and off is a good signal.... Have something for them to get started on immediately.

4. synapse

synapse Comrade

Oct 12, 2006

I am not a light flicker. I believe gaining attention has more to do with good lesson planning and delivery. Clear routines also help. Begin by making sure you are planning a teaching good lessons...they are developmentally appropriate, engaging, interesting and meaningful. Have an initial conversation with your class telling them that you will start on time and that you are interested in using all of the class time. Initiate each lesson with a good "set induction" or introductory activity that gains their attention....this could even be a quiet activity that you have prepared for them to begin as they enter.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2006

One of the first procedures I teach is how to enter the room and begin class. I also always start the class the same way. They enter, sit down, write the agenda in their planners, and then begin reading their AR books. Typically I'm right there to begin class with the daily introduction about the time they're writing in their planners, but if I'm busy for some reason, they go ahead and begin their reading.

My last class of the day is the trickiest one to get settled in. They're very social, even when they're ON task. I often have to use the school-wide attention/quiet signal with them. We use a raised hand. It's silent and portable. (You can't take the light switch with you when you go places, and "clapping patterns" or chants can be disruptive when you're out in public.) I've told them that I expect silence within 3 seconds. When I'm in my classroom, I also often say, "May I have your attention, please" along with the raised hand. I have an audio enhancement system in my room, so I don't have to raise my voice at all to be heard throughout the room.

6. grade1teacher

grade1teacher Companion

Oct 12, 2006

I teach first, but I have heard from others in your grade level that the following works very well: create a "morning routine" or starting routine, that is used every day without exception. This might be a daily assignment on the board, a daily math drill, a worksheet that they complete based on previous knowledge that is already on their desk. This task should not require any talking. Children know that they work on it as soon as they walk in. This is when you can take a quite attendance check as well. This accomplishes 2 things:
    1)You've already completed one activity/ review and 2) the students are now all focused on the same task.
    Read First Days of School by Harry Wong. Very helpful in getting you started on these routines and knowing where to go from there.

When I need student's attention, I raise my hand with 1 finger up. We have practiced it many times, and the students know that it means that I need their attention. They also know that they should copy my signal. This way, even if a student doesn't see my finger, they will probably sense that the class is getting quiet and look around to seee others' signal. They would just tune out my voice if I constantly use it to get their attention
    Whatever you decide on, it must become an automatic routine. I have had students test me , and my response was, "If all students do not respond to my signal by the time all 10 of my fingers are up, it just means we need to practice more. During Recess." I wouldn't take away more than a minute or two. They need their recess, and they got the message.
    Find what works for you - it will be very helpful - students respond well to predictable routine. Good Luck!:)

7. miss_m

miss_m Rookie

Oct 12, 2006

Short response journal writing for about 5 mins is a good warmup

8. souptunuts

souptunuts Rookie

Oct 18, 2006

I like your answers to questions and agree with them. Are you a Harry Wong follower?

9. souptunuts

souptunuts Rookie

Oct 18, 2006

Agreed. If you can't get your hands on the book, you can find a bunch of his articles on line. Do a google search of :

Harry Wong Gazette

and you will see a bunch of articles. (I'm not putting the link because I think it may be a competitor of this site)

10. synapse

synapse Comrade

Oct 18, 2006

Can't say that I've ever read anything by Wong. I am a former teacher of children and adolescents with emotional/behavioral disorders and a currently a professor of Education.

11. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Oct 18, 2006

It is important to teach procedures. Build procedures into your lesson plan if uyou must. I learned this the hard way and my collegue suggested it. I had the issue where the students would not come in quietly and do their warmup. You cannot teach content if students are off-task.

So I marched them outside and made them walk in quietly, grab their notebooks and work. If there was talking, they came right back outside and we repeated it. We will be doing this everyday till they can get it right. If they cant get it after three tries one day, the whole class gets lunch/brunch/after school detention (depending on the period) and we will practice it for 10 minutes.

It worked for my collegue so Im giving it a shot. It seemed to work so far for my 3 classes today (I'm on a block). Tomorrow is the test with my *worst* class.

Another suggestion is to have an agreement with your collegues. (I'm a first year) I sent a student next door. Yiu have to test it. Sometimes, kids don't mind going to the office, but hate going to another teacher. I teach Freshmen and my collegue teaches juniors and seniors.

12. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Oct 21, 2006

What attention getting advice do you have for (day to day) subs?

What about class quieting specifically, such as "continue working in groups, just bring the noise level down a few notches"?

13. grade1teacher

grade1teacher Companion

Oct 25, 2006

I have no idea if this is going to work for you or not, but I have a class that very often forgets about their "indoor voices" - getting very out of hand, and beyond loud.
    I Wrote the letters S T O R Y on the board, and I told them that I would spotcheck the noise level after each activity- if it was acceptable, I would an a letter or exclamation point at the end and if the level got to loud, I would earase one of the exclamation points, or a letter if necessary. The more ! they have, they better they know that they have been about indoor voices. They need at least STORY! for me to read a story at the end of the day.