Gah!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, May 16, 2016.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 16, 2016

I am so ready to be done with this year. The crazy intense mom missed her child's IEP meeting for the third time this morning... and now will probably pester us about how we don't understand her little angel (who is a little terror). Another mom is mad because her son is falling behind in math... because she never brings him to school until math is past and it's very hard to find time to give him a full catch-up. Another mom on Friday asked what she can do to help her daughter on Friday's lessons... because this kid usually misses Fridays due to family events. Sigh. School ends next week!

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 16, 2016

I hear you...I spent (wasted) 30 minutes of my prep last week on an IEP that neither the student nor the parent bothered to show up for. I get that the student is a senior, about to graduate, and is doing fine in her classes, but at least let us know you're not coming so we don't spend 30 minutes trying to track you & your kid down for a meeting you can't be bothered to attend!

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 16, 2016

We've had so many missed IEPs this year. I had to take a personal day today because I'm too stressed (and haven't taken one all year -- been pretty good at scheduling my illnesses to match school holidays, lol) and have a ton of work to do.

Backroads and MrsC like this.
  5. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 16, 2016

It's a huge pain, especially when you are called out of your prep and are required to be there, only to end up having your time wasted.

Backroads likes this.
  6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 16, 2016

If the parents don't show up or can't be reached via conference call then we just have the meeting anyway. Oh well!

7. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 16, 2016

Our counselors say that legally (at least here in CA), the parent and student have to be there for the meeting to take place. Apparently they will go so far as to do a phone/video conference if necessary. They will let us sign in lieu of meeting in these cases, but not until after spending a good 30 minutes trying to track both parties down...

Backroads likes this.
  8. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

May 16, 2016

In Illinois, the parents have to be there but the student doesn't.

Backroads likes this.
  9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 16, 2016

Right up there with the parent who took over a month to tell me she wanted an alternative reading assignment for her kid... whom she promptly took out of the country for two weeks. Now he's trying to hand in a research project with no in-text citations or Works Cited despite being told he needed at least three sources. We'll see what the fallout is when the student realizes I've sent it back to him ungraded.

Backroads likes this.
  10. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

May 16, 2016

Really? We've gone ahead and done it even if the parent didn't show up.

Backroads likes this.
  11. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

May 16, 2016

See, things like that make sense...which is why some schools don't do it.

Backroads likes this.
  12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 17, 2016

Students come to my school from all different districts so even if the parents aren't there we can still have a phone conference with the district. I've also come across some flaky districts that screwed up the meeting times/days so we have had the meetings internally and just sent them the paperwork. We don't have time to sit around waiting for people to show up. If they choose not to participate it's their loss.

Backroads likes this.
  13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 17, 2016

We have to notify family of the meeting 3 times before we can just have a meeting. Or, in this case, have the mom schedule 3 times (yes, all three meetings she missed, she picked the date and time). We're giving her one more chance later this week, just 'cuz, and then we'll just sign what we can.

14. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

May 17, 2016

Any thoughts on why this year has been more stressful for you? I only ask because it certainly has been for me as well but I honestly can't pinpoint why. I do know that I haven't been sleeping well as a result and that NEVER happens to me. Life outside of work is all good but it seems like this year has just been jumping from one fire to the next without a single moment to breathe in between.

I'd love to blame PBIS but honestly when I look at it closely I see parents at the core of nearly every stressful issue I've had this year. Three times this year when I've counseled a student in place of just disciplining them I had the parent call/email the principal complaining that their student was an angel at home so I must be doing something wrong. I didn't even discipline them! I simply explained that their behaviors were not meeting my expectations and tried to help them identify some factors that might be causing that (PBIS intervention #1) and I got slammed all three times.

Admin backed me each time but still the extra stress just makes me not want to bother at all and I hate that feeling.

15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 17, 2016

Well right now my number one source of stress is my looming National Board Component 2 deadline on Wednesday. LOL. I was ahead of the game with 60 pages written a month ahead of the deadline before I re-read the requirements (which are horribly organized by the way) and realized that the maximum page count is 13 pages, so I decided it was easier to just completely rewrite my paper after identifying the key ideas in my 60 page paper.

Also I've been given an extra prep-period because of all the extra tech work I do. In theory, this should make me less stressed. In reality, it stressed me out more because I felt guilty for having an extra prep period and took on way too many responsibilities this year including advising a Robotics club, serving on the new science standards roll-out committee, I've already been a leader on the Marzano team, and I accepted way more PD days than I normally do.

Our kids are a wild rowdy bunch this year too, and I've had one or two stressful parent encounters, but they're not at the top of my list, which I take to be a sign that I'm improving in my practice. I know at some point in most teachers' careers, the complaints move from student behavior to requirements and responsibilities associated with the job, and I think I'm at the point.

16. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 17, 2016

After dealing with one parent - who has a reputation so you would think it wouldn't bother me as much - I'm done with this school year and I'm praying this kid doesn't show up next year. It feels like Mom thinks she is an expert educator (she teaches yoga... I think) and she clearly does not get elementary science at all. She let's her child get away with everything on top. So I'm just sooooo done right now. It is our last full week of school thankfully.

I have another struggling child with an IEP who Mom is suddenly super on top of the... teachers :( Child did poorly on an assessment (reading issues/did not check her work) and Mom emails me (first time all school year) if I had reviewed this child's IEP. Yes I did and I had it in front of me while I emailed her back the 5 ways straight from her IEP that I followed. Not sure why Mom is on me now since I've been telling her about my worries since September...

Whatever... I'm enjoying these last few days with my students (13 more days).

Backroads likes this.
  17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 24, 2016

Hahahahha almost spit out my coffee reading that one!

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 24, 2016

More research projects are coming in. Students are to compare the Scottsboro Trial to the one in To Kill a Mockingbird. Several students are convinced that "mockingbird" should be two words. One student thinks the title of the book is HOW to Kill a Mocking Bird. Another student handed in a "Resursh Project". Meanwhile, 80% of the class still needs to turn in this assignment.

[​IMG]

MrsC, smalltowngal and Backroads like this.
  19. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 24, 2016

I've had the same parent email me three times saying her dear daughter told her she turned in an assignment on Google Classroom. Three times, I have emailed back saying sorry, but there is no submission from her, and if she needs help, to please see me in Office Hours. Dear daughter has yet to report to Office Hours. I want to strangle the parents *and* the child at this point!

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 24, 2016

Here in CA, the parent absolutely must be present at the IEP (unless we have in writing that we can hold the meeting without them).

When we have no-shows and can't reach them by phone, we go as a team to the house for a home visit. I've done several IEPs on front porches (since they won't invite us in).

ms.irene likes this.
  21. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 24, 2016

I put in the attendance information on cumulative cards yesterday. I have three kids who are missing over a month's worth of school. I do know authorities are involved with them to work on this, but wow. Sadly, one of the kiddos has only improved in her attendance since her family wound up in a homeless shelter that has services for getting kids to school.

22. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 24, 2016

As long as we have documentation that we attempted to contact the parent at least three times, then we can go ahead and have the meeting without the parent. For students who are 14 and older, the student has to be there or else we have to document why they aren't and make sure that they met with our transition person beforehand.