Gah! Bored students

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Backroads, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 21, 2015

My policy for mornings is no students in the classroom before the first bell. This is at 8:05. The school opens up to students at 7:30. We serve breakfast, the library is open, paras are watching the playground.

Yet I have a kid who gets here about 7:30... and sits by my classroom for a good half-hour. I've thrown a few suggestions at her and she just isn't interested.

And now her mom is complaining that this girl is, wait for it, bored in the mornings.

I don't necessarily always get to school by 7:30 (and my contract hours don't start until 7:45 anyway) and I have no interest in students running around my classroom.

For crying out loud, the girl if bored can find something to do.

3. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 21, 2015

I think no students until the first bell is a great policy. I have something similar. You need that time to mentally prep yourself and have some "alone" time or finish prepping for the day. I would just tell the mother the various activities offered in the morning. It seems like you just talked to the kid, so offer up these ideas to the mother and stand firm about your policy. If you let one kid in, before you know, it's like 10! Plus you are responsible for the kid once she's in your room, so you cannot leave to make last minute copies.

4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 21, 2015

I love my policy! I can get stuff done.

I think the problem lies in the fact that each teacher in our school gets to decide before-bell rules and a bunch of kids in my class came from a teacher who let them in as soon as she got to her class. I even had a few parents the first day fighting me on the policy. It seems to be down to just the one now, thank goodness, but Mom seems to want her kid in the classroom! I did tell her the morning options, so we shall see on Monday. Though she did stomp off muttering about having to rearrange her morning schedule so she can bring daughter later. Not your babysitter, lady!

5. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 21, 2015

Why can't the kid sit outside at the playground and get some sun and vitamin D? That seems like a healthier/better option than sitting at the desk in a classroom. She gets to do that all day (or most of it). Don't let the mom bully you into caving. Just hold your ground and she will get over it. We are not babysitters (and it's insulting that she acts like we are)!!

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 21, 2015

I work with a locked door, no unauthorized students in classroom until first bell. They can sit in the hall, wander the halls, if allowed, stay outside, or go to any of the other places you mentioned. I would announce that this is my policy. No explanation why, it just is.

7. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Aug 21, 2015

I'm sure you did this but I would make it clear to mom that you offered suggestions on how this student should spend her time and the student isn't listening. Ask the mom if there are any ways she gets her daughter to buy into stuff at home that might work here. That way maybe you'll at least get the student away from your door.

8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 21, 2015

Home stuff might work.

I'm not at all bothered by her sitting by the door if that's what she wants to do. It's the complaint of boredom. I also suggested she pull out a book.

I'm pretty much going to shrug it off and let them figure it out.

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 21, 2015

:thumb:

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 21, 2015

Last year, I had a student who came up early about once a week or so (dad worked earlier than mom, so when dad dropped off...). I basically just told him that he wasn't supposed to be up early, but I'd let him stay outside my room if he had his own entertainment. Otherwise he needed to wait in the lobby. It worked fine for us, and I would slip him a computer every now and then as a special treat.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 21, 2015

I'm assuming 7:45 (your contract time) to 8:05 (first bell) is your prep period. Therefore, I would not entertain a student just because her mom wants you to. Tough cookies!

12. janis

janis Companion

Aug 22, 2015

Do you have access to a computer or laptop? Put her on a fun but educational website. My personal fav is RoomRecess.com (math, reading, and word games). But there are many other options too. iPad apps, crafts (nah!), spelling words.

13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 22, 2015

She can do that in computer time. I'm not going to rush my morning to unlock my door to get her a computer. This would also put me in the predicament of trying to provide computers to every student in my class who gets to school early, or stick her in the classroom where I'd have to watch her.

I know you mean well, but im not interested in worrying about taking care of her entertainment needs each morning. By 2nd grade she should be perfectly capable of handling the mornings.

14. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 22, 2015

This is so familiar to me as well.

It sounds like the little muffin might benefit from going to the library in the mornings instead of coming to your room and waiting. I'm imagining my own daughter who was super shy at the beginning of her early grade years.

Maybe walking her down there and introducing her to the librarian, making sure they're aware of your little student who needs some TLC. It'd give you time to prep without worry and she could get some quality time reading.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 22, 2015

Each morning at 7:15, I unlock the front gate and allow students to enter campus for breakfast. Those who've already eaten can go straight to the playground (where teachers are on duty).

If a student gets to school before 7:15, they can't enter campus because the entire school is gated & locked.

Teachers have planning time from 7:15-7:40 (unless it's one of their three yard duty weeks per school year). Again, kids know that they have three options when they enter campus: go to breakfast, go to the playground, or go to the library.

Another rule we have is that parents may not enter campus unless they sign in at the front office and get a visitor's pass. We don't like random parents wandering around the cafeteria or playground unless they have prior authorization.

16. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 23, 2015

I'll try this. She doesn't seem particularly shy, but if she's used to hanging out in the classroom all morning she might need the extra push to break the habit.