GACE II Georgia

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by jlodoj, Sep 15, 2006.

1. jlodoj

jlodoj Rookie

Sep 15, 2006

Hi everyone.

I apologize for cross-posting this, but I just found this forum and thought it would be a better place to ask about this test. I live in GA and the Praxis has been replaced by the GACE test. I am getting my degree in Early Childhood Education and have to take two content tests. Since this is the first time the test has been taken (November 18) there is not a study guide book. I have printed off the practice questions off their website and the objectives. I have also requested several books from the library to brush up on elementary content, but I am still nervous about this new test. There isn't even a set passing score yet. We won't know until late February. I was wondering if anyone else is planning on taking this test and what you think it will be like?
    Thanks,
    Jeannie

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 15, 2006

If it runs true to form for teacher tests, you don't have to ace it to pass it.

What books are you planning to study from, and what are your big issues?

4. CptKirk

CptKirk New Member

Oct 19, 2006

Jeannie,

I can fully appreciate your apprehension. Its 30 days n counting. I 've earned an AB -Govt & Law and an MBA, but both were over 30 yrs ago. Ive been a miltary officer (nam) , a corporate Fortune 200 sales & marketing exec, a rush courier driver and for the last 8 yrs, a homemaker. My daughter just went through the whole ceritification process in Huntsville and, after 8 or 9 months..is finally in the classroom so what I'm about to do...shes been there n done it.

I want to step into a classroom and teach for the next decade or so before packing it in. Ive been given all the rah rah and encouragement about being bright and Ive always read lots of history and political items to stay informed of world events and the unfolding panorama of our world, even to have included much-too much -time on political debate online forums in the past.

I suspect that I REALLY need to prepare for GACE as Georgia and my county in particular are growing at such a phenomenal rate-30 new schools are envisioned within a 25 mile radius of where I'm at-and theve begun TAPP to attract techers from outside the traditional teachers career path to fill the breach.

Im lookin for a GACE study guide too..my daughter suggested Praxis II materials, and Im considering Morrison Media material from their website...

Perhaps 1 hr of review each night.......Im just not sure what its going to take but I feel confident to match up with whoever else is out there...

any thoughts???

sorry for tyhe late post, but I just discoverd you moments ago..

CK

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 19, 2006

With your background, CptKirk, I suspect you have less to worry about than you think.

Start by figuring out what the test makers say the test is testing: there's information about that on the GACE Web site. (NES, the company that makes the test, is pretty good about putting information on line.) You should find a document somewhere that specifies the sorts of things that the test can test, and there may be separate documents with sample questions and with lists of resources.

You may find useful information and approaches in threads about other multiple subject teacher tests. Let me also recommend looking up important terminology on the Internet.

Best of luck, and please don't stop asking questions.

6. CptKirk

CptKirk New Member

Oct 20, 2006

TG,

I appreciate your quick back at ya and encouragement. My background and passion drives me toward becoming a Social Studies teacher, primarily Modern American History, but I also feel frisky enough to attempt certification in Poli Sci, Econ, Ge, and Marketing or Business ED. My plan is to market myself as a 2 or 3 fer. As I play on 2 mens softball teams and have competed in Track & Field via Masters competitions, I feel drawn toward a potential coaching or assistant position.

Perhaps I just ought to focus on the history portion first. On nOv 18th , Im signed up for the "Basic" three tests in the AM and 2 history tests in the PM...

I suspect Ill be tested out and in limbo, like all others.

One of my chief concerns in this county's application is the references. I've been a homemaker for 8 yrs and the closest thing I've had to a supervisor are all 3 of my softball team captains. The notion that Ive "played"/"worked" for guys decades younger just might be an asset in some convoluted way.

Ive spoken with my local HS principal for guidance on the references and she hasn't offered anything concrete...so I suspect that. like my daughter..I'll have to become a GACE or TAPP web lizard to pickup more concrete wisdom

Best to you,
    CK

7. lydi@rocketmail

lydi@rocketmail New Member

Nov 1, 2006

I have studied all the Praxis II ECE & PLT guides that the bookstore has, then I found KSU's TRAC center ! Since I have no formal training in education (just a year as an adjunct design instructor at Art Institute plus a year homeschooling kids), I find the test outlines are not enough, I need the textbooks/resources. Practice Testing, I can get 80% multiple choice but don't know the material well enuf for essays. I wish I knew what % weight those 4 GACE essay questions on Early Childhood are going to carry. I found a KSU con-ed 2 saturday workshop for GACE ECE, but not for the Pedagogy (PLT) - that's the afternoon test I expect I will be really burnt out by the end of test day. The student-worker at KSU's TRAC, who is also taking this test, said he's been told - by a GACE rep - that Nov 18 (first time) takers will all pass. We set the benchmark.(?) Also there is no "theory" on the ECE.
    I would love to connect with othe 11/18 ECE or Pedagogy takers.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 1, 2006

Your two subtests together contain 120 multiple choice questions and four constructed-response questions, and the materials for your exam are explicit in referring to the writing tasks as "constructed responses" rather than "essays". If you allow one minute per multiple choice question, that leaves you 120 minutes out of the four-hour testing time for the four constructed responses, which means 30 minutes maximum each. That's not much time to write a formal five-paragraph essay with introduction and conclusion and all, so chances are you're not expected to write that way.

The GACE Web site doesn't spell this out, but judging from other NES teacher exams, chances are that your constructed responses will count for 25% to 40% of the total subtest score - 30% is fairly plausible - and will be scored on a scale that will allow you to get partial credit unless your answer is way off base. If you know the technical terminology for teaching and for the various subject areas well enough to score 80% on practice multiple choice questions, you know enough to do acceptably on the constructed responses; please stop telling yourself you can't do them.

Concentrate on making sense of the material and looking for connections between what the question asks and what you do know.

9. I want to TEACH

I want to TEACH Companion

Nov 19, 2006

oops....didn't mean to erase my 1st post?

I just wanted to know what everyone thought about GACE???:confused:
    How do you feel??? I wish we could get our scores back sooner!

* I've also heard the "rumor" about scores possibly being curved....I have no idea what to believe though????

10. jlodoj

jlodoj Rookie

Nov 20, 2006

Which test did you take? I took the Elementary Education tests-001 and 002. I studied the book series mentioned everywhere as well as used the old Praxis study tests. I found the test to be similar to the Praxis content questions. I know that I didn't know a lot of the answers but there were also several that I did know the answers too. I am a little worried about the constructed response part because I don't know if I did to well on the Social Studies and Reading part. I also can't wait to get my scores back. I didn't have an overwhelming good or bad feeling after I finished the test, just calmness....so I don't know. Still hoping that I passed! :D

11. I want to TEACH

Nov 20, 2006

hello

I also took ECE GaCE tests 1 & 2. I studied in textbooks, all my edu methods folders, the scholastic website for teachers [wonderful reading resource with videos on phonics instruction and interviews with reading scholars....simply wonderful!!!], Praxis study guides, and I went to a GACE workshop last month so I really feel I did everything I could to prepare for the test. I thought I did pretty good on the multiple choice, but not so good on the math and science constructed response.

12. jlodoj

jlodoj Rookie

Nov 20, 2006

Oh, yeah. I just thought about the Science question...not so sure I did so great on that either. If you don't mind my asking, what did you write about?

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 20, 2006

jlodoj, I don't know whether TEACH will mind you asking about specific questions, but it's a pretty sure bet that an objection will be registered by NES (the organization responsible for GACE and CSET and a growing pile of other teacher tests). If GACE is anything like CSET in this respect, GACE takers sign a document promising not to reveal specific test questions on pain of possibly having their passing scores revoked.

TEACH, this doesn't mean you can't answer jlodoj. You could certainly discuss the general issues raised by your science question. For example, suppose there's a test question about dropping a marble and a two-ton safe simultaneously from Air Force One as it's on final approach to Logan International Airport, and determining which object would hit first and make the biggest splash offshore. You wouldn't be safe in divulging all the specifics, but I think you could quite reasonably say that a question required you to know apply Newton's laws of motion and gravity to the behavior of falling objects.

14. jlodoj

jlodoj Rookie

Nov 20, 2006

Oh no, I don't want to ask about what the specific questions were or anything like that. I don't want to get into ANY trouble with anyone, especially not NES or GACE or anything like. I was just curious if my answers were way off base with what others put. Thanks for bringing that up though. ;)

15. I want to TEACH

Nov 20, 2006

Yes, I am aware of not posting specific questions that were on the test, but thanks anyway for the info!!!!!!:angel:

16. Athenour

Athenour New Member

Nov 20, 2006

Early childhood responce test 001-002

Did anyone else feel the math part of test 002 was difficult? I am currently teaching first grade and have access to all the textbooks so spent time :eek: studying math as it is my weak area. Well I could not do the free responseso don't feel good about my results Just wondered if anyone else thought it was difficult.:eek:

17. I want to TEACH

Nov 20, 2006

Don't feel bad....I messed up on the math constructed response question too. After the test, I worked it out again and was able to understand the problem & solve it out correctly. I think I'll get at least a 1 out of 3 on it...
    As far as the multiple choice go-there were many tricky questions, especially some of the tables.

Overall, I feel I did the best on Test 1

18. ladylashae

ladylashae New Member

Feb 7, 2007

GACE II

Hi Jeannie,

I plan to take the GACE II in March. I've passed the PRAXIS but missed the deadline for taking and passing PRAXIS II in GA. What is the GACE like. I've searched the net seeking a study guide and I haven't found one yet. If you've taken the test, in what direction would you lead someone in for studying?

Jacquie

19. I want to TEACH

Feb 7, 2007

GACE

It focuses on content areas and not a lot of pedagogy:confused: . There will not be theory on the test so don't waste your time going over theorist. Concentrate on the Georgia Performance Standards and especially the GPS outline on the website. The practice questions on the site are very similar to the ?'s on the test.
    Now, I took the test in Nov/06 and your test could possibly be a little different if they have changed anything based on our groups scores. I still have no idea how I scored and I won't find out until late this month:eek: .

Good Luck!:love:

20. I want to TEACH

Feb 7, 2007

GACE website

I forgot to add that the GACE study guide [barely anything] is on their website. I can't remember the address to the site, but google GACE and it should pop up for you.;)

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 7, 2007

Use the materials on the GACE Web site to help you assemble a shopping list of concepts and knowledge to acquire from the Web or elsewhere. Chances are the knowledge will stick better that way than if you were reading it out of a standard test-prep guide.

22. bnewsome

bnewsome Rookie

Mar 4, 2007

I took the GACE in Special Education General Knowledge and recently received my documentation that I had passed. I was not given any specific scores on either test. I think that because this was the first test scores are not going to be announced. I knew someone that took the Basic Skills GACE and did not pass any of the parts of the test (i.e., math, reading and writing).

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 4, 2007

Congratulations, bnewsome!

24. cat4653

cat4653 New Member

Mar 12, 2007

Did anyone else pass the Nov. 2006 test? I am taking it this month. I am concerned about the constructed response questions. Did anyone that took the test in Nov. feel that they did not do well on the constructed response but still pass? Thanks

25. AJ30907

AJ30907 New Member

Apr 26, 2007

Hi, I am new to this site. I am currently in between my first and second year in school, if that makes much sense. Before I am able to begin the early childhood ed program, I will need to take the GACE according to the college. I would like to begin looking over and studying what this exam covers and practice. Does anyone know what is the best way to study and the material used for this test? Any information would be greatly appreciated. AJ

26. TeacherT

TeacherT Rookie

May 17, 2007

What happend if you do not do well on the constructed response do you fail that whole section of test? I am taking it this Saturday. I studied, but am afraid of the constructed response.

27. bnewsome

bnewsome Rookie

May 17, 2007

gace 11

I was required to take two test for special education. All were multiple choice and on each test an essay question was given at the end of the test.

28. retreadSpEd

retreadSpEd New Member

Jun 24, 2007

Help? Taking GACE in August, out of school and teaching a long time...

I, too, am taking the Early Childhood GACE II ( for HiQ...) in August. I have been out of school for 13 years teaching a Special Education Kindergarten so I'm really worried about new theory and what I've forgotten!!
    I wanted to find good resources for study as it feels like a lot of this I am very rusty on. I have the old Praxis study guides for early childhood but the one guide that is out there for the GACE did not get good reviews on Amazon.
    Can anyone who has taken the GACE or has good information on what to study, give me some suggestions?
    Someone mentioned the GPS outline on a website ( not specified). Would this be the GADOE website or the GACE website?
    Any ideas on what in the Praxis study guide ( it covers the 0011 and 0014 tests Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment and the Content Knowledge).
    Thank you for ANY help you can point me to!

29. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jun 25, 2007

Hey!
    Check out the GADOE website and you can find the GPS standards. The GACE is based on content, not pedagogy. They were offering practice tests for the new one they are designing that is a combo of sped and ece, so you might can check on that. Actually they were even offering a discount on the real one for those who took the trial version. The trial version had a lot of basic mc on various stuff (a lot of math!!!) and then a couple of extended response at the end on various things.
    I wish I could help more! Good luck!

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 25, 2007

The purpose of tests like GACE isn't to determine whether you'd be a good teacher: rather, it's to assess what you know (which is an element of being a good teacher, though not the whole ballgame). The study guides on the GACE Web site outline what the tests test and suggests how.

An earlier poster mentioned passing GACE but not getting scores. That absence of numerical scores when passing is a feature of some other states' teacher tests too - in California, for example, the Commission for Teacher Credentialing doesn't want exact scores used in hiring decisions. In cases like this, there's often a chart of diagnostic results or performance indicators or something of the like on side 2 of the score report.

31. I want to TEACH

Jun 25, 2007

Praxis and GACE are very different so I wouldn't just study from the Praxis study guides. Go to the GACE website and click on "Preparing for the test" then study the provided framework. You need to know about every standard in the framework. Hope this helps!

32. retreadSpEd

retreadSpEd New Member

Sep 5, 2007

I passed!!

I just got my unofficial scores and I passed both tests!!!:2up:
    Thanks to all who offered advice on studying. It was much appreciated, especially since I've been out of school almost 20 years!

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 5, 2007

Congratulations, retreadSpEd! Don't forget to celebrate your accomplishment! (And you might be surprised at how many "retreads" handle this particular road just fine.)

34. retreadSpEd

retreadSpEd New Member

Sep 11, 2007

Thank you for all the help!

I just got my official GACE II ECE scores and I was very surprised to see that I apparently "aced" all 5 multiple choice sections and 4 constructed response questions
    ( ++++ in all areas!!) I would love to know the specific scores, I know they have them but apparently won't release them from what I understand (unless someone knows differently? I know they give you the score if you don't pass...)

I am SO appreciative of all the great advice that you guys gave me regarding what to study since I've been out of school for so long!!
    Thanks, again:)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 11, 2007

Quite a performance, retread... Well done!

36. areynolds

areynolds Rookie

Nov 1, 2007

GACE School Guidance Counseling test

Has anyone taken the GACE for school counseling? I took it last Saturday and that test seemed to kick my butt!!! I could not determine which answer was the correct answer. I was able to eliminate two of the responses on most questions, but then I was unsure about the other two. I spoke with a co-worker who took the test for media specialist and thought the same thing. I always do well on test. My co-worker said the same thing. To make matters worst, everyone that I know of who took the counseling test, passed. They took it during the beginning, I do not know if that has anything to do with it.
    Any comments would be appreciated.

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 1, 2007

By "during the beginning" you mean fairly soon after the GACE exams were introduced? Or something else?

38. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 1, 2007

I think they tended to mark a little easier when the GACE was first introduced but a lot of teachers that I know who took the elementary GACE test the first or second time it was introduced failed. Only 1 person in my friends' masters class passed the first round. She hates it because if you fail 1 section you have to take the whole test again. She failed the social studies section the first time and passed it the second time but failed math the second time, so she has to take it again :(.

39. areynolds

areynolds Rookie

Nov 6, 2007

GACE School Guidance Counseling test

Does anyone have any additional information about the test possibly being curved? I have a co-worker who says that there are two possible answers. One is best answer and one is 2nd best. You get credit for 2nd best if answered but not as much as best.

40. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 6, 2007

That would surprise me - it would be the only teacher test I know of that would be scored that way. And if it is scored that way, there should be some indication to that effect somewhere on the Web site.

41. areynolds

areynolds Rookie

Nov 7, 2007

I was thinking the same thing. I also meant to check the website for verification.