G.T. Placements

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Hoot Owl, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 20, 2009

At what grade do you start placing your kids in G.T. in your district, and what kind of program does your district have, pull-out/self-contained?

Last year was the first year we identified K, and I hear it's worked wonderfully. We're a Title I school and have most kids who enter K don't even know their colors and then we have a sub-population of K's who are proficient readers. We felt there was a need to save the proficient readers from hating school, so they're all in one K class while the other K's are learning colors and ABC's. I've heard this class is reading chapter books and writing great stories.

I was at our State conferences last month and talked with another GATE teacher about identifying K kids and she was really surprised. I know there's not many self-contained gifted classes in our state. It's not the most ideal teaching position, I'd prefer a pull-out program myself, that way I wouldn't be responsible for all the other subjects and enrichment, too. A pull-out position is an easier job in districts loaded with lots of perks, not that they don't work hard too, but they're not responsible for grades, parents are a minimum, discipline problems are generally dropped from the program.

How about your district?

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Apr 20, 2009

Our school district identifies for our math program at the end of third grade for pull-out services in fourth & up. Language arts identification happens at the end of fifth grade for beginning of sixth. Our gifted coordinators (one at each building) also push in to all of the classrooms K-5, working with students who teachers have noticed need differentiation. They also create flexible small groups that work on various skills and enrichment.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2009

Our kids are identified at the end of 2nd grade to be placed in the pull-put math class starting in 3rd grade and/or the enrichment language arts class also starting in 3rd.

5. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Apr 20, 2009

GT

Kindergarten teachers send a list at the end of the year to first grade who they want tested for GT (they usually list a LOT of students) and first grade teachers add to the list if we "notice" any other students. The GT teacher starts testing 1st-4th starting week 3 or 4. GT kids are pulled out on a weekly basis starting in 1st grade. Ours are tested in and the class is enrichment.

6. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 20, 2009

In my district self contained g/t starts in third grade. All students are bussed to the elementary school that has the gifted program.

7. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Apr 20, 2009

It starts in third grade in my district. All third graders are tested.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2009

We test beginning in K. If the child passes the screening they are labeled gifted. Programs for the gifted differ according to school in my district. They attend a self contained class one day per week at my school until 3rd grade. We have self contained classes for 3-5 Mon-Thurs and they attend a special gifted school on Fri.

9. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Apr 21, 2009

We test at starting in Kindergarten if requested by the parent and/or the teacher; however, we screen every 2nd grader in a Title 1 school.

Our budget is so terrible for Gifted students. There is no money for any pull out classes let alone a teacher dedicated to that program. We work a great deal with assessment, differentiation, and access to resources/materials. We also have Walk-to-Read and Mosey-to-Math, where students can move up or down depending on their assessed levels of any student.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 21, 2009

We test 4-year olds from January-March prior to their entry in Kindergarten. Many parents do not know much about the process so a majority of our identifications come from the following year after Kinder standardized testing.

Our district's policy varies from school to school. Our school used to have one stand-alone g/t class on every grade level and they had separate open houses, dismissal points etc. They decided that was too much segregation of students; so a few years ago they combined and made all classes mixed ability. This upset many parents and honestly didn't work as well as the self-contained g/t classes. Not everybody understands teaching g/t kids-our certification here is just a 30 hour professional develpment - you sit through it, you're certified. Some teachers wouldn't really actually follow through with the proper activities.

Anyway, to answer your question, now we have separate g/t classes, but it's "unofficially" that way. We do not have pull-outs. I also think it's great to be able to get them identified early.

11. Arky

Arky Comrade

Apr 22, 2009

Our K through 2 go to GT classes as a whole group for 40 minutes each week. The GT teacher observes and confers with the classroom teacher to see if they agree on children to be tested. We also take parent requests. They then start GT classes in third grade which they visit 1/2 day a week.