G-Rated songs for teens in the classroom?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachsph2008, Feb 15, 2014.

1. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Feb 15, 2014

My students are able to listen to music during class. Right now I'm looking to add some more popular songs to the library, however, some of the artists that they want I know make some songs that are not appropriate.

Do you know of any websites that actually rate songs..in the same way you would rate movies?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 15, 2014

When I had sixth graders a few years ago, I let them come up with music to listen to. The way I made sure it was school appropriate was to tell them they had to read through the lyrics and make sure they were appropriate before giving it to me. The day they gave me a recommendation that was not school appropriate, they lost the privilege of listening to any music that wasn't written by Justin Bieber. You'd better believe the boys I had looked over those song lyrics more closely than they ever looked over poetry I gave them.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 15, 2014

If you don't trust your kids that much though, you could always get recommendations from them, and require them to give you a page of lyrics.

5. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Feb 15, 2014

Duh! Why didn't I think to just READ the lyrics first instead of LISTENING! I'm laughing now!

6. physteach

physteach Companion

Feb 15, 2014

Radio edits.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 15, 2014

I have Music Video Monday in my freshman homeroom. Kids have to submit the selections to me in advance, and I check the lyrics. There was a point that I took their word for it but then caught some sexual content in a song as I was pulling the video from YouTube. Thankfully, that was before I played it for any students. Now, I err on the side of paranoid. What one student may think is acceptable may be scandalous to another kid.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2014

Even some, and frankly many, radio-appropriate songs are not appropriate for the classroom.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 15, 2014

I play a lot of country (rural school). I also play a lot of film scores.

10. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Feb 15, 2014

Thanks everyone

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2014

I've found that with music, you really need to personally vet every song - carefully. Song ratings generally look for "bad words" but can't really tell you about the actual content or subtext in the music. And "radio edits" only bleep words not allowed by the FCC.

After all, we all know that the ZZ Top song "Pearl Necklace" has nothing to do with jewelry. "Waiting for the Man" by the Velvet Underground is about a junkie scoring heroin, but never mention drugs explicitly.

On the other hand, New Order's "Bizarre Love Triangle" is a very innocent love song about two people.

Other songs may include references to drugs or violence and yet contain overall messages we might actually support. "Geek Stink Breath" by Green Day is about how methamphetamine results in one's teeth falling out. "Guns on the Roof" by The Clash decries violence in third world countries. Say the same for "Bullet the Blue Sky" by U2.

If I play music in my classroom, I much prefer to use the time to expose the kids to music that they might like, but not otherwise hear outside of school. I've played instrumental surf music, jazz, classic rock, and even punk (which often has lyrics that convey very positive messages - see "Rise Above" by Black Flag.)

12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2014

And then of course, there's always this band:

13. AliLand

AliLand Rookie

Feb 16, 2014

I only have music at certain times a year. I take requests and make a playlist, so I can listen a few times before class, I pretty paranoid. I tell them that appropriate class music needs to be suitable for someone three years younger than they are.

14. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2014

I am regularly amazed at the songs played on our school broadcast network. I constantly hear very inappropriate references and yet they are in rotation for days and no teacher says a word about it. I get the honor of being the Puritan Police on campus as a result.

My point is that none of it is safe if it has any lyrics at all.

15. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Feb 16, 2014

Kidz Bop

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 16, 2014

My high school students would not listen to this. I have a playlist of music for the classroom. It's mostly older Motown stuff. I also put some of my favorite 80's songs on there, too. My students enjoy it. Sometimes when a new pop song comes out that I know is appropriate comes out, I add it. Over time, I've built up quite the playlist.

My favorite is when I want to use a song as an example in class and even the name of the song isn't appropriate for school. "So, there's a reference to this movie in a rap song. The name of the song is a vulgar term for a person's backside. The name of the movie is... slang for lady parts? I give up. But, it's an important movie to the genre we're discussing, I promise."

17. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 16, 2014

That leads to my favorite rule of music in the classroom... ultimately, I have to listen to it too, so if I don't like it, it doesn't get played!

18. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Feb 16, 2014

Sometimes I make a playlist for my kids to listen to on Fridays as a reward. I looked at some of these songs and thought it was funny because they take some pretty vulgar songs and make them kid friendly. :haha: Like one, IDK the official name, but it talks about going to the thrift shop and has the f-bomb in every other verse.

I've found some modernish songs, usually from the 80s, and some motown songs.

Kiss Him Goodbye by The Nylons
    Please Mr. Postman by the Marvelettes
    Stop in the Name of Love by the Supremes
    Eye of the Tiger by Survivor
    It's Not My Time by Three Doors Down
    It's My Life by Bon Jovi
    New Divide by Linkin Park
    Girl on Fire by Alicia Keys
    Radioactive by Imagine Dragons
    Skyfall by Adelle
    Tatoos On the Town by Jason Aldean

these are some good websites
    http://www.songmeanings.com

http://www.azlyrics.com/

19. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Feb 16, 2014

Oh more ideas..happy happy!

20. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Feb 16, 2014

I have to admit... I had a French project one year where students had to tell what their favourite song was, and then we would listen to it They had to present it to me first, and I would look for an appropriate version. I found several "clean" versions, that had inappropriate words bleeped out so poorly that it just brought more attention to the word.

Additionally, I did the first one, modelled the sentence structure I wanted them to use, and then played my song. I lectured them on how the song had to be appropriate, and then I played the song that I was sure was safe. Sure enough, I hadn't heard the word "a$$" the million times I listened to it before. I felt like a tool. We moved on and all was well.

Sorry, I guess that doesn't really solve your problem.

21. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 16, 2014

After 22 years and 3 schools in a variety of socio-economic cultures and backgrounds, I have found that the vast majority of kids (and adults) can appreciate Motown!

22. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Feb 17, 2014

For more PG-13 rated songs, you could subscribe to Pandora and click the "Do Not Allow Explicit Content" button.

23. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

24. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 17, 2014

25. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 18, 2014

just sharing a resource of info ...

26. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 18, 2014

It is a good resource, I was just suggesting that the OP look closely at it, because some of the same songs are on one list that says "Do Not Play" and also on the other list of best songs to play, so I feel like there's some misleading information there. It is a good place to start, and also a good source to use as a reason to tell a kid no for a song.