FYI: $3 discount at Office Max/Depot for used ink cartriges

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Caesar753, May 19, 2008.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 19, 2008

I'm sure that many of you already know this, but for those who don't....

Office Max and Office Depot accept used laser ink cartriges for recycling. Both offer $3 off your shopping trip per cartrige. Office Max will accept up to 5 cartriges per day (for $15 off), and Office Depot will accept up to 3 per day (for $9 off).

If your school uses Lexmark, Dell, or HP ink cartriges, you might want to set up a recycling center in your room and ask teachers to drop off their used cartriges.

It's a great way to help reduce waste, save the environment, and earn a few bucks to spend on your classroom!

(Office Max has a program where they will send you pre-paid shipping boxes. You can put your used cartriges in the boxes and drop them off at any UPS center. Once Office Max receives your shipment, they'll credit your reward card account with however many dollars. See their web page for more information.)

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 19, 2008

Really? I used to bring back my used cartridges to Staples & OfficeMax, then about 2-3 ms ago, both stores said they don't do that anymore.
    I just called the stores in my area (southern CA) & here's what they told me:

Staples: If you bring up to 3 cartridges a day, they'll put $ back on your Staples membership card.

OfficeMax: HP, Dell, or Lexmark brands only.

Office Depot: $3 back for each cartridge. You can bring back up to 25 cartridges a day, but they'll only let you use a certain dollar amt a day to buy new items.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 19, 2008

So I guess the moral of the story is: Call your local stores and ask!

:)

5. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

May 20, 2008

I used to get a free ream of paper by turning in my cartridges to Office Depot. Do they still do that?

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 20, 2008

They don't do the free paper thing anymore, at least not at the Office Depots where I live.

It sucks, too, because I'd rather have that than a few bucks off.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 20, 2008

I'm definitely going to start saving my cartridges again! My printer (at home) is a Canon & I love it, but it takes a total of 5 cartridges to work: 2 different black inks & 3 colors! And they don't last that incredibly long.

8. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

May 20, 2008

Walgreens has this thing were you can take in old cartridges and get ink injection refills for ten bucks a pop. Definitely worth looking into if your cartridges are expensive to replace.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 20, 2008

I think Office Max does that too. I don't use that sort of ink, though, so I've never done it myself.

It does seem like a good way to save a few bucks, and we all can use that. :)

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 21, 2008

Thanks guys, I'll call Walgreens & OfficeMax & see if they do this cartridge refill in my area.

11. ABall

ABall Fanatic

May 21, 2008

I used to like when they would trade you a used ink cartridge for a ream of paper, but now I think you have to do it with a purchase.

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 21, 2008

I love the Staples program. They are really good about sending the gift certificates, and your money adds up really fast-I got about $40 back the last two times (thanks, resumes and portfolios!). I love the idea about collecting cartridges from parents.

13. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

May 22, 2008

Hey wow, I didn't know that - thanks for the tip! I'll have to check my local Office Depot/Office Max and see what they say.

By the way, if anyone has an Epson printer, you can buy re-filled cartridges on Ebay for CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP and they work just fine. Epson printers are queer though because after a few years, they gum up and stop working unless you "call for maintenance." This happened to me twice (the first time I wasn't using the used cartridges so that wasn't the problem). So this last time I bought an HP but then when I went to Ebay to buy cartridges, they don't sell refilled HP's. :( So now I'm paying $40 for black and color each time! Even the re-fills at Office Max don't work. I'll never get an HP again.

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 22, 2008

I noticed they started putting the 15% discount back...Office Depot that is...they had removed it for awhile! that helps. :)

I try to buy everything I can at all three stores, within reason of course..to add up points for rebate coupons! I buy my postage stamps there!