Furniture

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by meaneh23, Jul 16, 2014.

1. meaneh23

meaneh23 New Member

Jul 16, 2014

I would like to get a "teacher" chair. This is my second year of having my own classroom after sharing a classroom for two years. Last year, I bought a lot of classroom things that the others teachers had previously. This year, I have all that and would like to get a teacher chair. I am teaching 1st grade. I have taught PreK and Kindergarten in the past, so I'm hoping for a rocking chair or something for reading stories, mini lessons, ect. Anyone have suggestions where I can get a "teacher chair" that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I also would like some pillows for the reading area. I planned to look at Ikea but any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2014

I got my rocking chair for 75% off. It was a summer outdoor rocking chair (like the ones they sell at Cracker Barrel). You may want to shop summer clearance sales!

4. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 16, 2014

Have you tried asking any friends and family members who work in office buildings?

A few friends work in the government and they periodically order new furniture, so the old stuff is up for grabs. I've got a really comfortable chair with great back support, arms and it has a knob that takes it up and down that was donated to me because the person was getting a new chair.

The chair I'm sitting in now is also super comfy (I'm in my home office) and if I didn't already have a teacher chair at work, I'd use this one. I purchased it from Staples. Normal price was $100, but I got it for $40 because it was on sale.

I might also try a thrift store, but be careful! We had a bed bug epidemic on the East Coast a few years ago, so I've been a little leery of thrift stores since then

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 16, 2014

I found some pillows at Goordman's or TJ Max (I can't remember which one). I think it was TJ Max/Homegoods. They had a huge selection, and they were on sale. It's difficult to find cheap pillows! I even looked into making them myself, but pillow forms are so pricey. Even if the pillows are ugly, you could cover them in cute fabric.

6. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Jul 16, 2014

Bean Bags and Pillows

I just ordered these outdoor cushions and bean bags from Kohl's because they were 90% off and then I stacked $15 off $50, 30% off, and a free shipping deal. They are out of stock now, but if they come back in stock I will message you.

http://hip2save.com/2014/07/11/kohl...ottomans-bean-bag-chairs-kick-it-chairs-more/

I am hoping they hold up, they are for outdoors.... Keep watching the summer clearance than stack codes by searching a promo site.

Good Luck!

7. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Jul 16, 2014

I bought an awesome story time chair at a thrift store for $4 bucks during my student teaching! I planned to get new cushions for it once I got a classroom, but have never used it since I got a job in 6th grade :p Dang good deals, go to thrift stores!

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 16, 2014

I'd hit up Ross, TJMaxx, or Marshalls!

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2014

Check out Craigslist for your area! Mine always has a ton of rocking chairs!

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 17, 2014

I bought my rocking chair at Michael's with teacher discount and a coupon. It was pretty inexpensive. It was unfinished wood, so I spray painted it to match my room. I made a small quilt to hang on the back to make it look cozy.

11. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 17, 2014

:thumb: Thanks for posting! I really like the ottomans and the squishy arm chairs for $29. I'll be near our local Kohl's today, so I'm going to stop in and see if they have any there. Maybe someone has returned one or something. If not, I guess I'll be on website watch