Furlough Days

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MS Candy, Jul 22, 2009.

1. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

Just got a call-we will have 3 furlough days this school year-do to our Governor and the budget that just became effective.....any other state? Or GA teachers have comments ....

My district is using 2 preplanning days and a day in Nov.

And it is my understanding that we will be deducted 1 day of pay from three pay checks!

Sorry if this is the wrong place, I NEVER start threads...

3. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 22, 2009

No emails or updates on our county web site. I'm going up to my school tomorrow, so I'll ask my p.

4. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

I was at the school yesterday-this came as a call from out new VP....

5. Susan82397

Susan82397 Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

I just got an email today from our curriculum director with our schedule for preplanning and no days of preplanning have been cancelled yet, and we have 5 days this year. We go back next Thursday (7/30). We'll see what happens next week!

6. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

Oh good, this was so shocking from one day to the next...I am sure each district is just mulling it over, ours probaly had a plan set in motion.

7. luv2teach1st

luv2teach1st Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

I live in Delaware, and we have 5 furlough days and a 2.5% pay cut for all state workers. It is horrible!

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 22, 2009

We had that last year. I was kinda ticked. We have a lot of free programs and surplus activities. Why cut it from the teachers. For example, our after school program is completely free. Why not charge the parents a fee. This would have offset the cost. The problem was though that the general mandate came from the governor so the governor wasn't looking at individual budgets and deciding where to cut the money. He was making an all around order.

9. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

WOW! That is bad....

10. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

Thanks for sharing, I guess that is what our Governor must be doing, too.

11. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

How is this going to affect our pay. Will it be taken out of one month's paycheck or will the amount be divided up over the year?

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 22, 2009

Ours were divided up according to the days we actually took off.

13. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

Ours will be taken divided over three checks, per our county web site.

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 22, 2009

http://blogs.ajc.com/political-insi...ambling-on-a-three-day-furlough-for-teachers/

Wow...

And then there were the snide remarks- Some person named Bill said "teachers get paid too much", and another person named Kristi set him straight-

If anyone thinks teachers are overpaid, come and visit an elementary room, but don’t just stay a few minutes. A month would make you rethink your statement, Bill and others, who seem to think we are overpaid. During that month, you will witness many things including the following: teachers putting in many more than the 40 hours for which we are paid -oftentimes 50 plus hours, taking papers home to grade and record, having conferences with parents, calling parents on our own time, using resources that we’ve purchased with our OWN money, buying underprivileged children supplies, clothes, bookbags, and other things, writing individual lesson plans to meet the needs of ALL children, attending special education meetings, etc, etc, etc. It is MUCH more than just a dog and pony show from 8-2. My late husband said he had no idea how hard teachers work until he married me. He said he was wrong about how he thought we worked 8-3. Oh yes, if your month happens to be at the beginning of the school year, be prepared to spend WEEKENDS and NIGHTS at the school getting the room prepared, at the teacher’s home while she prepares lessons, and be sure to go with her to Wal-Mart while she writes a check from HER PERSONAL checking account to buy supplies for her room. Yes, I am very thankful to have a job, but am I overpaid? No way. If you critics think we are overpaid, here’s a thought: Go get a teaching degree and come do our job. Oh yes, those built in 10 days we have in our contracts when students do not attend school are only the ones for which we get paid. All the days during the summer, weekends, etc., are on our own time. We get no overtime, but we do what we do because it has to be done.

Whoo... Florida thankfully isn't in that predicament, but that man who commented with "Teachers make too much anyway" needs to be straightened out. :(

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 22, 2009

There were a lot of conflicts on that page. I cannot believe people are that cynical like that one poster. Not every teacher is subpar; of course there are a few who could leave the profession, but there are many who very much care. There are outstanding teachers who exert way more in a day than some do in a year.

16. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 22, 2009

Ms. Jasztal

Your "vent" in response to the post you read regarding teachers being paid too much is right on the spot. Nicely said! My husband too has a new respect for how much teachers work and he has spread the word as situations allow. My best friend used to say how teachers have it so easy, good hours, summer off, etc. Then I became a teacher at age 50 and her tune has changed. Especially when I became her son's teacher! THe cuts make no sense to me. They are cutting the very jobs that are most needed. So far, we have a pay freeze in effect, jobs were shuffled but none lost - just moved people around to fill in attrition vacated spots. I'm very lucky and thankful to have a job.

17. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 22, 2009

That long vent wasn't mine; it was someone else's in response, but it just frustrated me that one person judged all teachers based on perhaps a few or some who are poor in the profession. It was the generalizations. As peculiar as it sounds, there are teachers who are in it for the money. And to extents, I can see where the negative respondent was coming from- if you're concerned about money, why didn't you enter a different profession? Yet at the same time, it is unfair that teachers are the target group being "attacked" with these furloughed days in Georgia- and it is unfair how teachers are treated despite the effort they exert. I am at school countless hours for the week, and honestly to me, the money doesn't matter- the end result in how my students do matters more. I want them to be able to grow in my class and in other classes as they get older so they are successful- not necessarily with a large-figured salary, but more so with their attitude towards life, the fact they do attend college, and the fact that they realize they can positively affect lives.

I did not enter the profession for the money, and I honestly would not be overly appalled by three days, but at the same time, I wonder why teachers were the group that was targeted.

Now more so in response to the individual- I would never attack him, call him an ignoramus or whatnot- because I am more mature. However, I do feel sorrow for the teachers who have the highest test scores in the state, the teachers who are on the higher end of the curve. I feel sorrow for the teachers who challenge their students. I feel sorrow for the kids who aren't in actuality not prepared for state testing, but those who are discouraged to learn or abused at home in any way.

18. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

Ms. Jasztal-thanks for the post-we do get bashed quite a bit...you should read some of the county vents-it gets BAD!
    I was veru shocked because this came out of the blue...kinda.
    I know we here in GA are better off than some states but losing pay is losing pay.
    Now, will I be at work on those days- of course! I want my room to be super as I head into the new year.
    Thanks again!

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 23, 2009

I'd be upset if it was me. I'd moan & complain & yet at the same time I'd be like what can you do. It's something that you don't have any control over. My mindset was, during the school year & the budget was being discussed, "at least I have a job." Now, I'd be happy to have a job, even with 3 days of furlough.

20. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

Wow! First of all, one poster there said teachers are overpaid and underworked...They really need to try to teach for a bit, and then see if they still feel the same way. I have to say, it also makes me uncomfortable that GA posts what people get paid by their NAME! I can understand posting the salary schedule and percentages/numbers on each step, for more government transparency, but I certainly wouldn't like it for some stranger to be able to just type in my name and see to the penny what I make. Maybe that's just me, but I was always taught that what you make is a private matter. I've posted it here on a thread, but I choose to share that, and one must admit we are somewhat anonymous here. Additionally, it's not like that site also states "most teachers also get deducted on their paycheck for a, b, & c, which totals this amount"...No offense, but my union dues add up.

21. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 23, 2009

I must have missed that, I did not know people could see our individual pay amount :eek:!
    All this GA stuff is very new to me still- I agree those dues sure add up.

22. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 23, 2009

I agree it definitely should be a private matter.

23. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 23, 2009

I'm just sad that teachers are having to work with no pay. I know they still have jobs but I feel bad for you all. It sucks.

24. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 23, 2009

Thanks! Lemonhead, that is the overall point, yes we have a job and can survive, but no one should have to work for no pay...now it is 3 days, in some cases 5days, when is enough -enough....

I think it will also have a trickle down effect as well.

25. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2009

The e-mail we just got from our superintendant said our first furlough day (out of three) will be on Monday. Open House for parents and kids (to meet the teacher) is Tuesday from 4 to 6. Wednesday is a work day (all day meetings planned), and kids start back to school on Thursday.

So in addition to the insult of losing pay, we have one day to get the classroom ready for kids. Hmmm....

I won't be coming to school on that Monday. It's a matter of personal principle. I volunteered to be up there all day today, and I'll be there tomorrow, and the room will be ready, but it bothers me to come to school on a day we are told we won't be paid. I'm sure they expect all the teachers to come anyway.

I have no idea what I'm proving by not going on a furlough day, except I know I'd be annoyed all day.

26. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 23, 2009

Oh, shouldbealseep....darn, that is so hard...I think you should do what you feel, I am sure many will do the same thing. I know I am not arriving at 8am as previously scheduled-the rebel in me says sleep in!

27. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 23, 2009

Well see that is the thing. We all work so many days for no pay anyway. There is no way I could have my room ready on the paid days they give us. We have basically Friday afternoon in our rooms. The other days that week are either off site district workshops or on campus PD. So yeah we can sneak in our rooms and get a little done but still.

28. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jul 23, 2009

In NC we got a .5% pay cut in one paycheck and had to take 10 hrs furlough - it was recommended to take at the end of the school year in June since as teachers we couldn't take it when kids are there or required work days, etc.

We still don't have a budget for 09-10 school year yet either...

29. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 23, 2009

Our schoolboard met and decided to "adjust" the calendar. We were supposed to go be a scheduled pre-planning day tomorrow (7/24) through next Friday (7/31) for open house. Now tomorrow and Monday aren't pre-planning days. They have also taken a day that the kids were supposed to be off (for PD) and made it an instructional day. They have put our "furlough days" to the Friday before our Fall break and the Monday and Tuesday of our break. He has also decided to divide the 3 days loss of pay over the entire contract rather than take it out of just 3 checks. He has also removed our 2nd day of post-planning (for paperwork) in June.
    I went in today and worked from 9-4:30 (on my own time) to try and unpack boxes (since I am in a brand new building and everything had to be boxed and taken home for the summer). I will be over there tomorrow also (just won't report at 8 like we were supposed to before) because next week when we go in we have Tuesday and 3 hours on Thursday to work on our rooms. All day Wednesday is taken up with meetings. I want my room done before Wednesday. It will be if I can stay focused tomorrow.

30. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 23, 2009

Oh you can do it-stay focused!

31. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 24, 2009

I almost hate to write this because I know that the other GA teachers on AtoZ are being affected by the 3 day furlough, but I just had to share my good news. My county had not come out with an official statement about the furoughs and I figured they wouldn't until after the school board meeting last night. I was very excited to have an email this morning saying that since we had already taken a 2% pay cut this year (plus one less day and only 1/2 our step raise) that they were saying NO! to the furlough days and will pay us for the 3 days out of the reserve fund. Another reason I work in that particular county...it's worth every second of the 40 minute drive. The county I live in announced furlough days the day of Sonny's announcement, with no thought to coming up with another way.

32. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2009

NC teachers had a furlough last year. Who knows what we will get this year.... Our budget is still finalized.

33. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 24, 2009

My county has not announced anything yet. I'm hoping that means they'll say no, but until I hear I'll just assume they are waiting until the scheduled BOE meeting on Monday night. I'm going to work in my room everyday next week just in case. We are not scheduled to report back until Aug. 3.

34. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

That is good! I think my county was ready for it and just went with it....I just hope this is all that is going to happen to us teachers....