Furious

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Christine3, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Dec 16, 2008

My sister just called me, her daughter, a Junior in High School gets tutored every Tuesday in Math. It is $65.00 per hour. My sister explained to me that there is another girl in my nieces math class who gets tutored by the same woman.

So, this young girl usually gets tutored on Wed. being that they have a test tomorrow, the tutor offered for the other girl to come to my niece's house for the hour session. She has also offered it to my sister for her daughter to go to the other girls house if there was ever a test Thursday.

So the girl came to my sister's house to be tutored with her. My sister was talking to me on the phone while they were being tutored. She wanted to know from a teacher's view what do I think the lady will charge. I was almost positive that she would allow the girls to split the $65. NO!

My sister had to pay full price for not even an hour worth of tutoring and along with the other girl. (Tutor got to her house 15 minutes late too!)

My sister did speak up to her saying how she assumed they were going to split the price. The Tutor kept saying how she was doing the other girl a favor by moving her session with my niece's. My sister was no means mad the other child came, she just did not understand why they had to pay full price for 2 people getting tutored and reminded the tutor she did not even stay for the full hour. THEN, my sister told me the girls said the tutor told them to "fudge" a problem. We are talking about a 35 year old woman.

To me this woman sounds greedy. It is not right to charge each families 65 dollars.

What do you think?

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 16, 2008

I would def. say she should have split it. And she should have pro-rated it for the time she was late.

I do the birthday party gigs on the weekend, and if I'm late due to traffic, I stay the extra time needed or I expect to get less. Duh. It's how it works. If the parent calling had insisted on two parties at the same time, I would charge for two. But if 'I' insisted on two parties-hello? That IS greedy. I'm using less of my time to squeeze in two parties. And there is no way you can give as much attention to two people as one.

New tutor time!!

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 16, 2008

I would fire the tutor. I'm a real witch when it comes to these things, but I'm also hard on myself in the reverse situation. I've had students come to my house on occasion and an "hour" session lasted at least an hour and a half because of my children interupting the session. If that student pays for an hour of my time, he gets an hour of my time. There's not middle ground. I also charge group sessions differently than singles, so if that situation ever came up with me, I'd have an established pay scale already in place. In an "emergency" such as this one, I would have only charged the host parent half of the normal cost in order to make up for the inconvienence.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 16, 2008

Either she should have split the charge or stayed two hours.

6. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Dec 16, 2008

In this tutor's position, I don't think I'd offer services to two clients at once. If you don't charge extra, parents might just start scheduling all the appointments as two-for-ones. If you charge extra, clients get mad.

I'd just keep them separate, I think.

The tutor's tardiness is another issue - no way your sister should have had to pay for time the woman wasn't there.

7. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2008

I might do two at once, but only when it makes sense. I would charge both students, less than an individual session because they don't get the same attention, but more than half. Like if an individual is $65, I'd probably say $45 apiece for a double session. Because after all, I am still tutoring each kid for an hour and that is worth something. Besides, as Tampa said, parents would find many reasons to double-up if it was two for the price of one, which would be a pain.

When I arrive late, I offer the parents the option of staying later or taking a cut. They usually say to just do a full session then. I don't generally schedule things back-to-back, or I might have to change that.

I say what to do depends on how happy you have been with the tutor until now. If you love her style in general and she has been helpful to the student, then I would tread more delicately. ("Leaving already? Didn't you just get here 45 minutes ago? Oh. Well then, how much do I owe you for this session -- say, $50? Well, it wasn't an hour.") If that's not the case and you can easily find another tutor, I would give her a gentle but firm ultimatum, explaining your expectations. If you can't see eye to eye, tell her you will find someone who works on your terms. Goodbye.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 16, 2008

$65 an hour? Is this a going rate? I think I'm in the wrong end of this business...

9. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2008

Yeah, I wanted to comment on that, too -- where are they paying $65/hour?! If she decides to dump the tutor, I would be happy to take her place!

10. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2008

I agree with Bored of Ed or she could have just charged a nominal extra fee for the 2nd student ... like when you share a meal at a restaurant.

11. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 16, 2008

I tutor, and if/when I am late, I either stay longer or do a 45 minute session. There have been times I have been waiting and the parents are late too.

I wanted to comment on the "fudge" a problem thing-- the tutor may have shown them a shortcut or a trick for something. Unless the tutor knows the math test ahead of time and is giving them answers (doubtful) I don't know how they can fudge something. During a timed test, when one is running out of time, a fair strategy is to skip it and come back. If the person still can't get the answer, guessing/estimating is ok, so at least you have filled in something.... this could be "fudging" technically.

Around here some tutors who do a specific reading/math program designed for dyslexic students or students with LD, get upwards of 80 an hour. Our "famous" area tutor, I am guessing makes 120. She has a PHd and works miracles. She got one of my students who at 8 did not know her letters/numbers, on grade level in 18 months! (I had her for 3rd/4th, she started tutoring in 2nd.) SHe has a specific LD called "symbolic processing" which means she didn't understand the correlation between letters/sounds and numbers/objects. The tutor said it was the most severe case she had ever seen, yet low and behold, the child is on grade level in 5th grade! That tutor deserved 120 an hour!

12. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008

I charge $70 an hour for high school and $100 an hour for college tutoring in math, chemistry, or physics. I will not tutor more than 2 students at a time but do split the cost between the 2 students. I usually try to go at least 5 minutes over the hour so that they get their money's worth. I try not to tutor more than an hour at a time but if they want a 2 hour session (only college level), then I charge $175 for 2 hours. I will not waste my time nor the parents money doing a 2 hour session for a high school student because they usually tune out and are no longer gaining knowledge. These prices are the going rate for a certified teacher in my area.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2008

Any time I've even done a group session, I've charged less than the full rate.

It IS a little more work to tutor 2, so I can see charging a bit more than half, but not the full amount to each.

And there's no excuse to charging full price for less than a full session. Or for not knowing your stuff and asking kids to "fudge."

And I agree on the 2 hour sessions for high school kids; an hour and a half is all I'll do.

When I tutored, I was the cheapest tutor I knew and my rate was $60. My friend charged $100 a the time. (And, yes, we're both certified with decades of experience.)

14. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 17, 2008

Tutoring one-on-one is extremely different than tutoring two at a time. $65 is exorbitant for one. I hope she hasn't paid her yet. I wouldn't do it again. She'd get the full hour too, I'd ask for some money back if I'd already paid for the full hour or I'd never go back.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2008

Maybe I should start tutoring down here for $65/hr. I echo what others have said. I think that it was wrong of her to ask both girls to pay the $65/hr for tutoring both of them. I think $45 for two would be a good idea.