Funny student answers to test questions...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Brendan, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 20, 2007

Today I was finshing up grading my finals and came across this:

The question was explain the significance of Calvin in relation to the Protestant Reformation.

The kids answer was: Hes a guy from a comic.

I am still laughing.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 20, 2007

That is great.

My favorite was in answer to the question, 'What did William Penn allow in his colony?' The answer: 'pets.'

4. JWar417

JWar417 Rookie

Jun 20, 2007

I can't remember the question - something about the 2008 presidential election and the answer was hilary Clinton, but a student wrote, "Your Mom" as an answer. I laughed and then I thought, how could I respond to this? The rapport I had with these students was just great, the dynamic of the class was incredible. Anyway, I waited for the appropriate moment towards the end of class and called my mother on the phone with the student standing next to me, explaining to my mother that this girl must think a lot of her to assume she's qualified to be the next president of the US. The kids laughed hysterically and she apologized profusely. Today was their last day with me and she actually brought up that incident again.

5. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jun 20, 2007

I love these ... my favorite that happened. On a health quiz, I asked the students to name an example of over the counter medicine. One girl's answer.....A** Burn (she meant aspirin). I still laugh about that one!

6. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jun 20, 2007

When I was in HS, I had a friend who gave a pretty good answer on a test....It was a math test, and the directions for the question were "find x." He circled the "x" in the problem, drew an arrow to it, and wrote "there it is." I wish I could have thought of something clever like that. I was awful at all that "finding x" stuff. :D

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 20, 2007

I asked them to write the definition. Of course, one kid wrote, 'definition'.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 20, 2007

When I asked why Balboa crossed the Isthmus of Panama, one kid said .... 'to get to the other side'.

9. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 21, 2007

Well you must have given some credit for that answer!

10. gumbita

gumbita Rookie

Jun 21, 2007

Those are great! :) I remember one time on a vocabulary test, we had to write the definition to the word "saturnine". Someone put "a different kind of car company". I thought that was hilarious (but whenever I tell that to people, they don't get it. I guess no one remembers the Saturn commercials from the mid 90's :)

11. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2007

Ummm...on the SATs where they'd ask, "Sex:" and you're supposed to check male or female, we would put stupid things like "only on Mondays." Don't remember who started it.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 21, 2007

Brendan Ryan - the funny thing about that answer was that several kids put that answer on the test. They remembered it better than the correct one, maybe because I laughed so much. I better watch that.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2007

When I was in HS our teacher was asking us "Who wrote the Color Purple?" to which my friend replied "Prince!" The teacher gave her a funny look & I was laughing so hard my belly hurt...I said NO Prince wears the color purple, not wrote the book!!! It still makes me laugh!!!

14. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2007

How about the question, "find x" on an algebra test and the student circled x and drew an arrow pointing at it. :)

15. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2007

So true.

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2007

Thanks!!!
    I had to cut a little of it off to fit, but I found it in a local paper & LOVE it!!!

17. JWar417

JWar417 Rookie

Jun 21, 2007

What's the rest?

18. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Jun 21, 2007

That really is great. I was doing a lesson on poetry. We were talking about raindrops and how they make you feel. One of my kids go...
    "That g/d is tapping us." I thought that was adorable to come from a 6 yr old!

Another story...we were going around sharing moods and one student said they were very mad b/c "Mommy is having another baby." I was just in shock...the child look so sad. I heard it in her little voice. :(

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 21, 2007

We were playing Outburst or something and the topic was parts of the body. They had named tons and there was a lull and one student shouted - how about that scary place where babies come from? The uterus! The other kids didn't know what it was but I cracked up.

20. JCarchy

JCarchy Rookie

Jun 26, 2007

I must confess, many of these stories and anecdotes are funny. But when I laugh, I feel guilty.

These lists of "funniest test answers" have always embarrassed me. I feel like teachers are making fun of their students.

We are better than this.

JCarchy

21. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2007

pardon me? A big part of why we teach is because we get to laugh all day WITH the students. A sense of humor is number one on my list of characteristics in a "good" teacher. The things they think of are amazing and refreshing.
    I'm definitely not "better than this," it's why I enjoy working with kids! They only play fun games! :)

22. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2007

I disagree. We need to teach students to find humor in stressful situations...it'll go a long way into the work force.

23. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2007

I think it makes for a more inviting classroom to laugh with students or the students laughing at me when I do something a little off the wall.

24. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2007

Agreed. We all make mistakes and we should be able to laugh at them. I'm certain that none of us are laughing at the students in these situations, rather at the situations themselves. I think that's an important distinction.

25. Kteacher06

Kteacher06 Companion

Jun 26, 2007

Not really a test question, but this story kinda goes along with the theme:

I was doing a lesson on introducing winter holidays to my Kindergarten class. When I asked them what one of the winter holidays might be, they all shouted "Christmas!" I said, "yes, Christmas is one of the holidays. There is another holiday called Hannukah. Has anyone ever heard of Hannukah?"

They all looked at me with blank expressions. So, I decided to move on and ask, "Another holiday in this month of December is called Kwanzaa. Has anyone ever heard about Kawanzaa before?"

They all continued to stare at me blankly, until one little boy suddenly looked like a light had gone off in his head.

"Oh, I know it" he said, "My grandma's been there!":D

26. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 26, 2007

I used to have a comments slip to use duing my fourth graders' community meeting. They would write Thank you, _____,for___________. One wrote Thank you, Ashley, for showing us your braw [bra]." Kind of makes you wonder what we are NOT seeing in our classrooms!

I wish I wrote down some of the funny ones. I've forgotten them :(