funny parent encounters/stories

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by creativemechanic, Aug 18, 2022.

1. creativemechanic

creativemechanic New Member

Aug 18, 2022

Hi. First submission.
    Ive been teaching for about 15 years now.We've all had them. What are your funniest parent encounters?

One I've always loved is at my school we had a mother with 2 sets of kids from 2 separate fathers attending. Both fathers would visit to pick their kids up. A coworker then pointed out- Havent you noticed that father A's son strongly resembled father B. When we looked, it was an uncanny resemblance, same complexion, build, walk etc. People even mistook him for the other boys father. This was an in staff joke, until someone later pointed out- Havent you also noticed Father B's eldest daughter looks alot like Father A........

Tired Teacher and catnfiddle like this.
  3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 18, 2022

Ooooo... I love this idea for a thread! Will have to sit and think on this one.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 19, 2022

I had a boy in my class that was a twin and the two brothers looked NOTHING alike. Not one tiny bit. Even by fraternal twin standards. Someone mentioned the mom thought they might have 2 different fathers so the person Googled it and it turns out it could happen :dizzy:

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 19, 2022

One parent told us that his son would like to have some coffee in the morning. But make it decaf. Ummmmmm, no.....

6. Guitart

Guitart Comrade

Aug 19, 2022

I have over heard so many WTF stories but this one I never forget. It's about the parents, told by their 7 year-old. More sad than funny. Sad that their little girl has all this TMI because mommy has no filter. She told the whole class during a table talk moment:

"Hey guess what?" "My daddy had an operation on his penis and my mommy is mad at him because he got it because he got a new g/f.. so I can't go to daddy's because mommy doesn't like her, but I wanna stay home with her anyways because mommy doesn't feel good because she had a miscarriage in the toilet.."

7. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Aug 19, 2022

My first year teaching I had a male student with habitual swearing problem. After interventions a,b,c it was time for a conference with Mom. On day of conference I was in my room after school working on papers at my desk. I heard a noise, like a loud roar. I looked up and noticed a head pass by the little window in the door. The noise subsided then became loud again. Then it stopped. The door flew open. It was Mom. On a Harley. She rode it down the hallway, out onto the yard, turned around and parked outside my door. She stomped into the room dressed in leathers and tattoos, put her hands on hips, glared at me and shouted, “What’s this shi_t I hear about my son swearing!” This seemed to sum up the conference.

8. Guitart

Guitart Comrade

Aug 20, 2022

Incredible! That sounds like it would have fit a scene straight out of "Sons of Anarchy".

9. Guitart

Guitart Comrade

Aug 20, 2022

My first year in education I worked as a para. Wed mornings I had front desk duty. Most of it was answer phones & write late slips. One of my "little stinker" 2nd graders and his dad were sitting and waiting in the office for a meeting with the principal. Dad was dressed in a fine suit and wearing what I thought was a Jewish hat. His dad was visibly irritated and restless. He asked, "How long must I wait to speak with this woman?" He also told me it was a woman's job to come to school for children's business AND a man should be the principal.

Later I found out that the family was Muslim. The principal had prior meetings with mom but their son's behavior was still a problem. So she requested dad this time. Dad clearly thought that his meeting with a female principal was beneath him. The principal loved watching him squirm!

SpecialPreskoo and Tired Teacher like this.
  10. Aces

Aces Devotee

Aug 20, 2022

So one of the things that as the new principal for my high school I’ve been working on is improving the school’s relationship with parents. Especially those parents of special needs students who expressed they felt left out and sort of forgotten and left out of the loop so to speak. All this past week, and Mon/Tues before school starts on Wednesday, I’ve had open invitations for parents to stop by my office. It’s actually really being a super positive initiative that I’m really happy about.

Normally when I sit in my office, I take my left leg off (the prosthetic), and rest my stump on the prosthetic. It helps to relieve the pressure a bit. But my desk is high/deep enough, it sits pretty much underneath, so from the door, it’s hard to tell it’s there. Anyways, one of our parents came in and I said hello, welcomed her to have a seat.

First words out of her mouth were “Most menfolk will stand up and greet someone when they come into an office.” I wouldn’t say it was rude, but it was absolutely firm. Honestly took me back a bit. So I recovered, put my leg on and stood up and greeted her again. She felt so bad about it but we were able to laugh about it and had a really positive interaction.

3Sons likes this.
  11. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2022

We were planning a family garden party. We went out to get the booze and My wife and I were both pushing shopping carts piled high with beer and wine when we bumped into the Head Girl with her parents. We stopped to chat but we noticed the parents kept glancing at the carts!

12. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2022

Some years back a colleague had a weird encounter at a parents evening (in the UK, once a year the parents of the kids are invited in to talk with the teachers). Sitting opposite her was a chap and his wife, parents of one of the kids she taught. When she looked at the father she realised it was the chap who had been chatting her up in a club the previous weekend!

13. Aces

Aces Devotee

Aug 22, 2022

First parent I spoke to this morning, she was an older lady but still acted pretty spry. I had offered her a bottle of water, which she accepted, and asked if I had a cup. I gave her a plastic cup, she poured some water into the cup. Then she popped her teeth out, dropped one of those fuzzy tablets in. Looks at me and goes “I’m sorry, they’re new and I haven’t had a chance to file them down yet.” We had a good laugh over that.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 25, 2022

Omigod, keep these stories coming! So many of my parent contacts have been upsetting and about what the family needs. These are making me giggle.

15. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2022

hahahahaha This is too funny! I can picture it!

16. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2022

I can't think of any parent stories as funny as yours. My 1st year teaching, I got a letter from a mom. I could not read the handwriting or decipher her spelling. (I bet I could now after years of reading 3rd grade writing.) I brought it to my teacher leader and she told me the mother was upset that her daughter had flunked a spelling test. So, we made an appointment to talk to the mom. The mom said her daughter always had gotten 100's the year before in spelling. When the mom was done, the teacher leader asked her how long she had studied the words with her daughter. The mom said that they had not had time to study and that was about when we found a solution to make sure her daughter would not flunk another test. I was so green back then, but that teacher leader always had my back! :) I am hoping it helped the mom spell better too.

17. Paris23

Paris23 Rookie

Aug 26, 2022

Got this long, typed, single-spaced “introduction letter” from a mom telling me all about her “kiddos.” The letter bragged about how bright the mom was (even though the letter was PACKED with grammatical errors, misspellings, and typos), how bright all of her children were, and how particularly brilliant her eldest son was. The eldest son was in my history class.

How helpful was the letter? Let’s just say that the son was nowhere near brilliant. In fact, he flunked out of high school.

So much for the value of “high self esteem.” So much for the opinion some mothers have of their children.

18. creativemechanic

creativemechanic New Member

Aug 28, 2022

a coworker of mine used to give free lessons to his class. One day, the mother of one of his students ( dressed skimpily, lots of tattoos etc) came up and told him that- I dont know if you know this but im a prostitute , so... is there anything i can do to make up for you helping my son?

19. Guitart

Guitart Comrade

Aug 28, 2022

Sorta like Forest Gump!
    Have any of you had to deal with creepy parents? I sat in on a conference at a teacher's request because this dad made her uncomfortable to be alone in her room. Her last conference with him, he kept looking at her body and kept talking about being divorced. So I sat in, gave some feedback (I had the student too), and the guy was gone in 15 min.

20. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Aug 28, 2022

When I was student teaching, I had to be warned about one dad before conferences. He had said awkward things to my cooperating teacher in the past, ex. "you're too pretty to be a teacher." That's not that bad, but combined with knowing he'd sent pics of his nether regions to another one of his son's teachers puts it over the line into creepy territory. He was married, btw.

21. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2022

I had a parent tell us, the ARD committee their child was conceived with a turkey baster. BTW this was my first ARD ever. This was my first day on the job. I tried really hard not to looked shocked at how forth coming she was being. My principal and the head of special ed just kept looking at each other. We were blown away at the stuff she said to us. There was soooo much more. My last and final dealing with this Mom was her asking me if we had zip ties so that she could tie her kids hands together as she marched him through the school with all the Grandparents watching. It was grandparents day. Those first 6 weeks of my teaching career we definitely not the norm with that mom and kid.

blazer likes this.
  22. Guitart

Guitart Comrade

Aug 29, 2022

When we were middle schoolers, I think at one time we all thought about how embarrassing our parents were. Stories like this make me give thanks that I had my parents and not these.

I still see some freshly rolled out of bed ladies dropping off their kids. One that really sticks in my head was a one who looked like Fred Flintstone's sister wearing a NASCAR T-shirt with holes, no bra, flip flops, and sweat pants with Super Bitch printed up the leg. Dropped her kids off late to school in the front office.

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 6, 2022

Oh yeah, I thought my parents were cringy but nothing really bad now that I think back on it. I had a neighbor who was very strange and embarrassed her kids all the time. When we went to back to school night I saw the neighbor in the hallway with her kids. She was wearing pajamas, slippers, and a long fur coat. The neighbor's kids were sooooo embarrassed they kept trying to not to walk near her because they didn't want anyone to know that was their mom LOL