Funny Misunderstanding

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Nov 2, 2008.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 2, 2008

So I know if you don't teach the young children you may not get many of these - I thought I would share.

One of my students had the hiccups the other day and another student told him to hold his breath, to try and get rid of them. He said "I can't do that, it will give me breath cancer". I listened to them debate this for a few minutes and then he asked me if I had ever heard of breath cancer -- now the teacher in me of course, wanted to correct him, but I also didn't want to end up on the news for teaching the word "breast" to 5-year olds. I asked where he had heard it - on South Park. Kids, they do keep you on your toes!

3. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Nov 3, 2008

How cute! It's sad he's watching South Park, but that's cute! :)

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2008

Cute, but sad that he got it from South Park. Though I do remember the episode he watched. :eek: (hubby watches it occassionally)

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 3, 2008

I was on a field trip once when the bus crossed over from Iowa to Illinois. We had been talking about major land forms and bodies of water (1st grade) so I asked the boy next to me if he remembered the name of the river. When he couldn't come up with it I told him is was the Mississippi River. He just gave me this blank looked and asked where the Mister Sippi Rivier was.

6. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2008

that is too funny, I love it

7. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Nov 4, 2008

I teach four-year-olds. One day at lunch my kids were talking about what they wanted to be when they grow up. I was amused at their responses until one little girl turned to me and asked, "Miss J., What do you want to be when you grow up?" :lol:

I said I wanted to be a dinosaur and crush things. . . :D

8. cmw

cmw Groupie

Nov 4, 2008

Just last week a 4th grade teacher was telling us that a girl in her class came up to her all upset about another student drawing a picture of her & a "black guy." The teacher went back & forth with the child about how everyone is different & we all need to get along. The girl was very frustrated with the teacher & finally pointed at her eye and said, no I had a BLACK EYE in the picture! The teacher was sooo beside herself! :lol:

9. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Nov 6, 2008

Last year, I was helping one of my 1st graders blend long e words (1 on 1). We came to the word "weed". I helped her blend it, and then explained what it meant-- an ugly plant that grows, one that we don't want around. Her eyes then bugged out of her head, and she whispered "My mom has a weed!" I was taken aback by the look on her face, and responded- "Oh, mom likes to garden?" The child said- "Noooo! She has a real weed!"

Now I'm sitting there wondering if this little girl is telling me that her mother smokes pot. I reply- "What do you mean that she has a weed? What does it look like?"

She replies- "You know-- the weed that grows from her head!"

I almost fell over when I realized what she meant.

"Sweetheart- I think you meant to say that mom has a hair WEAVE, not WEED!"

Thank goodness!

10. TeachFirst123

TeachFirst123 Rookie

Nov 6, 2008

One time I had a kindergartener ask me, while writing the alphabet, how do you spell LMNOP?

Also, one of the 3rd grade teachers was teaching about ancestors. A student raised her hand and asked, "Why are you only talking about girls and not the anbrothers too?"

11. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2008

I believe it would be spelled, "elemenopy" ;-)
    Classic...

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 6, 2008

I had parent/teacher conferences today, and a set of parents were very confused about the book I was reading in class. Apparently their lovely daughter was writing 'The Bichbark House' in her planner each night, and pronouncing it as such. I kindly told them it was the BIRCHbark House, and that I would make sure she included that 'r' next time. ;)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  13. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Nov 6, 2008

Oh no! Hopefully they have a sense of humor =)

14. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 7, 2008

:lol: You would think they could figure it out from context that it is like birchbark!