Funny Experience

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by giraffe326, May 24, 2006.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 24, 2006

This is good for a few laughs:

I did not get called to sub today (I never get called on Wednesday for some reason). I am close to the bottom of the list, so I usually only sub 3 or 4 days a week:( . Anyway, I got called at noon. They asked if I could be at the kindergarten/early-5's building by 12:20. I was not busy, so I of course, went. When I got there, everyone in the office was like "It's going to be OK." And I was like what are you talking about? Well, I was there to replace another sub! The sub that was there left crying after the AM early-5's class! She couldn't handle it and ran out in tears. Seriously! They are five year olds! They play, listen to stories, do a worksheet, do an art project, then play some more! What could have been so hard?! So, now I hope that I moved up one place on the sub list;)

3. srh

srh Devotee

May 24, 2006

Well, they may be 5 years old, but Kinder is one grade level where there is no moment the teacher is not "on." It is extremely demanding if you are to be effective. You really can't turn your back on them for long, especially if you're a sub. My class is awesome (IMHO! :-D), but there is one K class on my campus that is especially demanding because of the mix of temperments, maturity levels, and special situations. Perhaps your personality allowed you to handle the class better than the other sub, but don't be so hard on her. It can be as tough as a rough high school class, I promise you!

P.S. There is VERY LITTLE play going on in our Kindergarten. Maybe you were easier on them they are used to!

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 25, 2006

I'm a big believer that young ones learn through play.

5. tjob

tjob Rookie

May 25, 2006

Well Kinder was the first substitute class I had. First day firt experience as a sub on Dec 05 and it was like running a zoo they refused to listen refused to even be seated. Stayed on the floor. That was a day my eyes of understanding was opened to why subs leave crying. But I went through the day I never went back to that school that is for sure. Now primary grades are much easier than any secondary.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 25, 2006

This wasn't kindergarten. It was Early-5's. I acctually find them easier than the kindergarteners. I DO have my ZA(Early Ed endorsement). But, I prefer 2nd or 3rd grade, so I am not totally comfortable with them,either. But, to cry? They usually love anyone at this age, and don't talk back, so I can not see it ever being too difficult...

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 25, 2006

I wish I could say that ALL of the 5-year olds in kg. that I know don't talk back, listen to the teacher...!

8. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

May 25, 2006

I agree crying seems extreme, and even on my worst days I have never been pushed to that limit. However, who knows what this poor sub went through today. Perhaps she is going through something totally unrelated to her job, and something just set her off? (shrug) Just a thought. Did you get a chance to find out what the problem was? Also, if you are getting 3 to 4 days a week as a sub I'd say you are doing pretty good, especially as a newbie. Out here in California, new subs sometimes only get 1 or 2 days a week.
    N77

9. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

May 25, 2006

That is true when you compare elementary to middle school/jr. high but HS is usually not bad unless you have to deal with HS sped students with behavior issues (scary!).

Giraffe-Start handing out business cards everywhere you go. Things should be picking up as the year comes to a close. Teachers want to use up their leave even the very last day of school (behaviorally it is rough but it is usually easy teaching)! I subbed for 4 years and am VERY familiar with all the drills:D :eek: . I cried and lost my cool a few times but usually in the bathroom.

10. srh

srh Devotee

May 25, 2006

Miss W--my comment about VERY LITTLE play references the tough standards we're trying to accomplish by the end of the year. We fit "play" into teaching, but it nearly always has a purpose (if it doesn't, it is short-lived, and rare!). The original poster's comments made it sound more like "letting them loose" on a regular basis because that's what 5-year-olds do. Gosh, when I was in Kinder, it really WAS mostly "fun" stuff--and not very academic. Now we're winding up the year with subtraction problems and lists of 30-50 high frequency words which indicate pretty good reading ability! I guess I get defensive sometimes as a K teacher, when we have such tight standards to accomplish. Just like the rest of the grades.

11. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

May 26, 2006

srh: I did my student teaching in kindergarten, and I have a whole new respect for kinder teachers! :) This was an all day kinder class too, so from 7:30-2:20...same group of kids. I loved it, but wow...hard work, and you do indeed have to be "on" all the time. And, it is as intesne as the primary and upper grades now, if not more!
    N77

12. tjob

tjob Rookie

May 26, 2006

It is always easier to manage your own class daily rather than be a fill in or fine arts teacher that is an interesting challenge. It helps also when the staff/teachers are supportive and not pulling deceiving tricks with new bees.

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 26, 2006

I also spent my student teaching in a Kinder room, and countless hours for 3 years before that. I know it's hard to get all those frameworks in when the kids do need to just be kids sometimes. Same at our school with 2nd graders. We're pushing them so hard to be ready for 3rd grade. We often forget they're still babies when they come to us.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 26, 2006

Thanks for the advice. I have read someone posting about that before. If I don't get a permanent job next year, and have to sub another year, I will definately do that. One question, though. Do you have them contact you directly? Then, set it up with the sub coordinater after you've agreed? Or something else?

15. aduncan365

aduncan365 Rookie

May 31, 2006

I've subbed in all grades k- 8 and found the kinders to be the most tiring. I had a long nap after that first day in JK/SK. The nice thing about it was the repetition. Same plans for am with JK and same in pm with SK.
    About crying...who knows what it was about, hopefully not the kids
    :(
    when I talk about teaching with my brother (a little trouble maker himself as a student) he always reminds me that if he was in the class I was subbing in his goal for the day would be to make me cry.
    He'd have a hard time though because I've resigned myself to never, ever crying over a bad day subbing. I may rant maybe here where other people would understand or to the V.P when he asks me how the day went. But then I'd get in my car to go home to my family and sing my head off all the way!!! Much more enjoyable than wasting my tears.