Funniest Moments and Memories in Your Classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by jenglish97, Jun 24, 2007.

1. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jun 24, 2007

Hi All-

Who has a funny moment or memory from your class?

I had a student teacher last year who freaked out when she saw a spider crossing in front of her. She screamed real loud and jumped onto a chair.

Well lets just say, the children (2nd graders) started to laugh and could not believe a teacher would be scared of something. I caught the spider and put it outside. We never lived it down for the whole year. :D

3. asiltropwen

asiltropwen Rookie

Jun 24, 2007

patience

During lunch i was talking to another teacher and I said "I feel like I am losing more and more patience as the years go by" One of my Kindergarten students overheard me and said "You're a doctor?" We thought it was one of the funniest things!:D

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jun 24, 2007

Quote of the decade-

It went something like this, or it's how it came out, and I think my eyeball nearly shot across the classroom at that moment-

A kid looks at his science fair project. "OH MY GOODNESS! One ant must have seduced another because it is carrying a baby larvae on its back!!" That's right after he said, "Well, they are attracted to the strawberries because they do have anthocyanins." That same student also asked my mother and best friend (both chaperones) on a field trip, "How does cold food get hot and hot food get cold?" extremely fast. My best friend mutters, "It's something called energy..."

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2007

We were talking about the origins of the Greek and Roman gods, so I had my students read a few different creation myths. In one version, Uranus was given credit for producing most of the early gods. One of my students asked me in a very loud voice from across the room, "So Miss, everything else came out of Uranus?"

6. justfine

justfine Comrade

Jun 24, 2007

funny moment (This One Is On ME)

I have a student that refuses to do his homework. Since September, he turned in his homework once. I talked to his parents, the counselor for our grade, assistant principal, and got him a tutor to work with him after school. Still no homework! One day i told him (in front of the class) if he completed his homework for a week I would be in shock and that i would probably pass out and someone would have to throw flowers on me. Amazingly, he completed his homework Monday through Friday. That Friday, the class reminded me of what I had said to the boy. When he walked in, he gave me the homework and another kid yelled, "WAIT I HAVE THE FLOWERS TO THROW ON YOU!" I was in shock! I laughed so hard my heart was hurting. It was so funny! She actually brought flowers to throw on me! Oh GOD!

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2007

What a hoot, justfine! (I guess you found out how to get them to do their homework!)

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 24, 2007

This happened in the classroom next door to mine:

One student had a penchant for fancy pens. At our school, all kids have to write in pencil. The teacher kept reminding him and reminding him to put away the pens and take out his pencil. One day he came in the room smiling broadly and said, "Ms. T, I don't have any pens anymore." His teacher was so happy ...... until she saw all the other students taking out his old pens!! He had given them away!

9. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jun 24, 2007

That is so funny!

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 24, 2007

The last week of school (a Tuesday) I was working in my aide's office. All of a sudden I saw a mouse and jumped onto the sink. Turned the water on with my butt. So my butt was all wet. My 3rd grader walks in and laughed at me.

11. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2007

I taught my first graders about who was on the penny, nickel, and dime along with an assortment of trivia about the presidents. In the beginning of the year, I asked who was on the nickel. I had told them just the day before. One little girl raised her hand and replied, "George Clooney?"

I told them that Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation. The next few weeks, I would ask them what President LIncoln signed. It was so cute to listen to them try to get their tongues around it. Generally it came out as "emastiplution constabution!"

When I taught them about the Gettysburg Address, I got a lot of "hamburger address?"

12. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Jun 24, 2007

My fourth grade students had just returned from a field trip called "Operation Connect." To gain the students' attention throughout the day, the leaders would holler, "Operation!" while the students replied, "Connect." Several days later, while teaching math class I wanted my students to figure out which operation they would use in solving story problems. After reading each problem the students were to tell me which operation they would use. After having read the first problem, I began Operation..... and in unison, they all answered, "Connect!" Needless to say, I was speechless, and we all had a good laugh!

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jun 24, 2007

I remember how one student can affect all the students- on the way to St. Augustine in my first year of teaching (2005), someone started the ba-da-da-da-da... I'm loving it!... and then the whole bus chorused it as we passed EVERY single McDonald's on the way back to our school. I never knew HOW many McDonald's were in a 3 hour drive. AAAAAA... :)

14. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jun 24, 2007

I my 4th grade we were discussing the southern colonies and I asked what was the cash crop. One little boy raised his hand and replied Marijuana!

15. sarahthree

sarahthree Rookie

Jun 24, 2007

I had a tough first grader, Z, who wrote a journal entry early in the school year about stealing "5 G's" ($5,000)... it turned into a big deal because the boy was always getting into a lot of trouble, but he had just written the lyrics from a song. He's come a LONG way and had turned into one of my favorite students. Anyway, at the end of the school year, we were watching a movie in the library and the characters in the movie suspected that the teacher was the thief.
    Z. said to the class, "No way, Miss C. wouldn't steal!"
    I teased him by quietly saying "Yeah, unlike someone who writes about stealing 5 G's!" He blushed and said, "Aw, you still remember that?"
    The boy next to him (who happens to be Caucasian) asked him, "What's a G?"
    Z (African American) muttered innocently, while shaking his head in annoyance, "Ugh, its MONEY. Gosh - white people..."
    Now the conversation ended there, thank gosh, and I don't think the other young man heard him, but I had to walk to the corner of the room so he wouldn't see me laughing, and it's been my favorite "funny moment" story to this day.

16. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jun 24, 2007

One day during snack time, one of my students walked up to my desk to tell me something. While he was talking, he burped. I said, "Excuse me" You know, to remind him to say excuse me? Well, he looked at me like I was loony and said "Um, that wasn't you, that was me." I laughed and said, "Oh, well, in that case, excuse you!"

17. sweetteacher

sweetteacher New Member

Jun 24, 2007

kindergardeners talk politics!!!

I think i have the funniest moments...!!!

have you heard 5 year olds boys and girls talk politics? !!! I have!!!

i am teaching in Caracas Venezuela and since last december cause of presidential elections and big demonstrations from the opposition against the government i have heard my kinder students talk politics in the class and it's hillarious!!!
    One day as the students are writing their Monday weekend news. This 5 year old girl says, "Chavez is the worst president ever"

A boy answers: " yes he wants venezuelanas to vote for him and he promises stuff"

The same girl answers back, " he is breaking freedom!!!"

another boy says " I would never in my life vote for him"

this is true , we ae living this reality and the kids here it is so funny to hear this expressions My coteacher and i have laughed all year round with this comments!!!

18. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jun 24, 2007

This wasn't one of my students, but a student in a kindergarten class I was observing. The principal came in the class to play the guitar and sing a couple songs to the class. He started off one song by asking the kids if they could tell him what a string was (he was singing a song about heart strings). One girl raised her hand and replied "it's what carpet's made out of!"

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2007

I had some funny sayings in my class when I taught kindergarten:

"Great Power equals great responsiblilty" I asked him where he got that from. He said Spiderman. Aww.

"Cheaters never prosper" I asked him where he got this one from. From his grandmother.

20. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jun 25, 2007

My lead teacher will never live this one down:

She was reading a passage about volcanoes, and she started to get irritated with one of the kids. She wound up getting pretty flustered, and when she went to read about the volcano's eruption she accidentally said the "erection". She probably would have pulled it off, except that I was in the back of the room and I caught her eye. I almost died laughing! The cherry on top: The remainder of the passage talked about how the men were surprised and the women were amazed at the sight. People ran, screaming, away from the center...and it took days for it to stop. :D

21. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

ROFL, Ms. Mc!!!!!!!!

It didn't exactly happen in the room, but three years ago, the kindergarten classes went on our annual trip to our (world class) Fort Worth Zoo. I had the class split up into several groups, each with a couple of chaperones, and we weren't all together as a result.

At the time, there were two adolescent white tigers (siblings) there in the habitat, which was in front of and slightly below the viewing area on the other side of a moat. The kids could sort of stand on the bottom railing of the fence to look downwards at the tigers.

When my group got to the tigers, we looked down and noticed that one of the tigers was lying on his back and playing with a toy, just like a kitten would. Then, I noticed it was a SNEAKER. "Now, WHO would have thrown a shoe down there? That's against the rules!", I said.

Just then, another group came toward us. One of my students, Daniel, ran up yelling, "Mrs. Otter, guess what happened!!!" I looked down at his feet, and sure enough - only one shoe! He had been standing on the fence when his untied shoe fell off his foot and bounced right to the tiger.

He got to do the rest of the zoo wearing a sock on one foot.

I told my kids that it was supposed to be Daniel in the Lion's Den, not Daniel's Shoe in the TIGER'S Den!

22. divey

divey Companion

Jun 25, 2007

Once while I was teaching kindergarten, I had called one of my students to my desk to do some individual skill testing. I asked him to count for me, which he did, using his fingers and stopping when he got to ten. I then asked him to "count for me as HIGH as you can!", to which he raised his arm HIGH in the air and counted on his fingers again to ten. Guess I should've clarified that I wanted him to count the NUMBERS as high as he could! rofl!

Another time (in kindergarten) I had a little boy very proudly give me a gift. He put it in my hand, and you can imagine my surprise when I realized it was a tampon! (out of it's cardboard casing and thankfully unused!). Bless his heart...he even told me that he "made it for me himself"! Of course, the laughs continued when I heard two of my little girls discussing what it was and then one decided that it was a candle..."look, that's where you light it!" (pointing to the string!)

23. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2007

This isn't exactly funny but VERY touching. We raised Painted Lady Butterflies at the end of this year. Some of them fell during the chrysilis phase and thus were born with broken or deformed wings (VERY VERy sad). I had to tell the kids that just like in nature it some of our sweet butterflies might not make it. etc. The kids were very concerned. Anyhow, one of our butterflies who the kids named, "Crinkle" (because his wings were well, crinkled) was having lots of trouble flying. I over heard one student telling another student, "We shouldn't give up on Crinkle. My brother was born with some problems and she NEVER gave up on him!"
    Soooo sweet... I had to go to a corner of the room i had tears in my eyes! I shared that with her mom who also had tears in her eyes! Sooo sweet!

24. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2007

Whooops- just reread and I missed the most important part of that. She actually said, "We shouldn't give up on Crinkle. My brother was born with problems and my mom NEVER gave up on him!"

25. Bookworm

Bookworm Companion

Jun 25, 2007

This is funny and gross. Every Wednesday my students would swish flouride. The flouride comes in little dixie cups. The kids swish for 1 min. and spit the flouride into the cup. I obviously was standing to close to a child swishing flouride. The child spits into her cup and promptly drops the cup onto my foot. Funny part of the story was her face after dropping the cup. Gross part was I was wearing my Crocs that day and could feel the warm spitty flouride oozing around my toes. Luckily I have a sink in my room and Crocs are washable!
    Here is another I just thought of. I had the principals son this year. He is notorious for saying funny things. Our class was taking a bathroom break and he comes up to me with his legs crossed and kinda hopping on one foot. Mrs. S. he says, what do you do about an personal itch? Can I go to the nurse? I reply with a straight face, I don't think she can take care of those types of itches. You need to talk to your parents about this itch.

26. hfinley

hfinley Rookie

Jun 25, 2007

I had a student tell me once - "My mom thinks you're as cute as a button." I also have a game called Roll & Write (great nonsense word game) and the board said __unk. The child rolled the dice and it landed on dr. I grabed the dice as quick as possible and the student kept sounded it out. All the sudden he burst into a laugh and said "HA HA, my mom and dad get drunk all the time!" Wouldn't those parents just die?

27. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 25, 2007

Once I asked a student to rewrite his sloppy work and he replied, "Rewrite it? I can't even read it!". He was indignant.

28. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 25, 2007

Two of my students had a rather heated debate about whether aliens only live on the moon or if they live here on Earth. It was SO hard not to laugh because both of them had such strong opinions. It was so cute to listen to the logic of a 6-year old..."You don't SEE aliens on Earth, so that means they don't LIVE here!"

29. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jun 26, 2007

This happened to one of my 6th grade homeroom students in his history class. They were assigned to write the definitions for the chapter's vocabulary using the glossary. He did and the next day he was asked to read a definition. He looked at his paper for a minute and said "I don't know what it says" Turns out he had copied all the definitions from the Spanish glossary! That made me think twice about the value of writing definitions.

30. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Jun 26, 2007

A few years ago I was co-teaching a pre-school class. As we were reviewing, we asked the kids who our president was. We had been talking about the presidents on money as well. When we asked who the current president was, one of the little girls shouted, "George Washingbush!" The little girl was very proud of herself and the other teacher and I just about died laughing.

31. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jun 27, 2007

Lost eye

Ok you are going to have a huge laugh at my expense but its worth telling.

I was a first grade teacher and I had a student who had a glass eye. I was so worried that her eye would pop out in class and I would lose my cookies. (this happen to her in kindergarten)

We were working on christmas reindeer decorations and everything was going great! Then I heard a skreeching yell, "I lost my eye!" Oh my GOODNESS! I was freaking out inside and I had to talk to myself internally to stay calm. I told the class to freeze and her and I began searching the floor for her eye. She was oddly calm about this whole experience. She's been through it before but I have not and I PANICED! I could not look at her for fear I would throw up! (weak stmach!) The whole time I was talking to myself... How am I going to touch the eye, how am I going to get the eye back in, and then I heard "I found my eye" ... her wiggly eye! :D

32. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jun 27, 2007

School Funny

This year the counselor did a three week bully presentation. On the second session she reviewed with the kids what makes a bully. She got to her point that a bully is someone who makes you to do something you may not want to do. One boy raised his hand and said that his mom must be a bully because she makes him clean his room even when he doesn't want too. We both had to bite back the smile.

33. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jun 27, 2007

That was too funny! ROFL!

34. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jun 27, 2007

This one is coming from the pre-k class I taught last year. I had the dramatic play station set up like a restaurant. I was going around taking pictures and informal observations for the student portfolios- when I approached the dramatic play area one of my little dears took a cup and hit it on the table before asking me if i wanted a "ma-gureee-ta" (apparently salted rim and everything!)

35. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jun 27, 2007

One of the funniest moments was around President's Day. A student was writing a summary on Abraham Lincoln but wrote it as "April Ham Likun". LOL

36. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jun 27, 2007

Ok, I have another one.

We were writing a fiction story about visiting another planet and one of my students came to me with a look of worry and said, "Ms. Violet, I don't know what to write because I've never been to another planet".

LOL

37. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 27, 2007

38. Lainy2121

Lainy2121 Rookie

Jun 27, 2007

When I was a student teacher in a fifth grade room, I asked a question and the answer was "parasite." After I asked the question, a little boy started waving his hand like crazy, proud of himself for knowing the answer. I called on him and his answer: "P-p-p-p-prostitution!" I DIED! I could not stop myself from laughing and neither could my cooperating teacher! The poor kid, tho! As soon as he realized what he had said, he turned beet red and covered his head. I knew it had been an accident!

39. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2007

Well, as you know, kids with autism are always one step ahead of you, whether you believe it or not. We were doing a unit on long "u" and we were all sitting in a circle around our easel. I was going from kid to kid getting them to say a word that has the long "u" sound in it (or repeating the word with my verbal prompts). I got to one of my students and I said "How about you, A? What's your Long 'u' word?" She said --- "OWL!" I looked straight at her, and I said, "A, you silly! Long 'u' --- owl isn't long 'u'! She promptly stood up and said, Miss __ --- the girl is right. Owl, like "hoooo!" (she sometimes refers to herself as "the girl" and it's pretty funny.)

40. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 27, 2007

During my practicum in a kindergarten class I had a little boy come up to me during snack time with his juice box. I asked him if he was okay and he said, "My juice is sour because it is winter. It will taste better in the spring." I just smiled and nodded. You gotta love his logic...!

41. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 27, 2007

I am a very sarcastic person and that doesn't translate well to Kinder kids because they are very literal. So I would drop a pile of papers and they would tell me I dropped them, I would say "No, really?" and they'd say, "Yes, they are right there, you don't see them?"

So I explain sarcasm to them. Long story short, I said something to the class and one of my boys said "I know you don't really mean that, you're just being psychotic." Sarcastic - psychotic, same thing, right?