Funds in private schools

Discussion in 'Private School Teachers' started by MorahMe, Jul 2, 2010.

1. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 2, 2010

Is anyone else in massive trouble with funds?? I'm starting to work in a private school for low income immigrant families, and I'm in trouble! I have to set up my classroom almost from scratch (furniture, supplies, toys, books...) and the school has no money to help out. They never saw a "proper" pre-k classroom, and don't seem to really understand the need for brand new/gently used items. Mostly, what they have there is other people's garbage-literally. We have a giant couch in the room, which I've been told is a teacher hangout, and tables that are too high, three different height chairs, most of which are held together by duct tape.

So far, I've been getting donations from people on freecycle, but of course, that's not going to get me cubbies and shelves of the right height. It's hardly helped me with toys as of now...

I guess I have two questions (sorry for the rant): the first one: is anyone else in such a position? The second: How do you deal with it? Do you fundraise?

3. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Jul 2, 2010

I haven't been in that position.

I would try garage sales.

4. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 2, 2010

If people would make garage sales near me, I would definitely do it! Like I said, so far, I've been getting from free cycle, and later in the summer I'm going to the flea market, when I have a ride. The fact that I don't drive doesn't really help.

5. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Jul 2, 2010

Very odd to hear "private school" and "low income" all in the same sentence. How is the school funded?

6. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 2, 2010

Yeah, I know. Mostly by donations from outsiders, a small amount of tuition, and an organization that pays to keep Jewish kids in private school.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 2, 2010

Unfortunately, I'd say that's fairly typical for a non-chain private school that is not affiliated with a religious institution. You simply do whatever you can. Scrounge from the side of the road on pickup days, thrift stores, apply for grants, appeal to local businesses, make your own materials. It won't be easy, but I bet you can make it work.

8. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2010

Look into grants. Donors choose will not allow private schools to list (which is why I no longer send funds to them) but there are other grants that can be written. My school is totally funded on tuition and grants. If it is a Jewish school, then I would look at some of the other Jewish synagogues in the area, because they might be able to steer you to donors. Technology donations to private schools makes wonderful tax deductions.

9. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 3, 2010

Some schools are not funded. Personally where I work we do not have a parish to help support us. Our only income comes from our students. The school only charges $230 a month for tuition, it goes up about 10 dollars for 8th grade. OUr income is way below average ( under $20,000) , we have only 2 working LCD projectors, no computers for students, they do have a computer lab but none of the software works. It is pretty sad, I hate to be so pessimistic, but its not all positive in all private schools.

10. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jul 9, 2010

Not really. I work at a private school and 99% of the school's students are of one minority ethnicity and most come from low-income families. The school gets a majority of its funding from the USDA and social services (because we offer preschool, low-income parents can send their kids here).

Well to the original poster-what I have done is posted ads on craigslist and asked friends and family members for donations. I am in the same boat as you (my classroom is in dire need of an upgrade), I am looking for tables/chairs, and other things. If you are on a budget, gradually add to your classroom, otherwise you will be broke! Hope I helped some.

11. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 9, 2010

So my situation has improved...with the help of lots of really kind people on freecycle, and some donations from family and friends. My wish list gets shorter-and then longer-every day!

12. combo teacher

combo teacher Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

Our area public school has a warehouse where they house their unwanted furniture. I called them, and I was able to get nice file cabinets, student desks, chairs. They had it all, and would let me "bargain" with them. It has been very helpful through the years. I understand about the private school funds. It can be very frustrating.