Fundraising in public schools

Discussion in 'General Education' started by alabama, Mar 15, 2016.

1. alabama

alabama Rookie

Mar 15, 2016

What are your thoughts about fundraising in public school?

When I was a student many years ago, I remember the teachers got hit up to buy a lot of stuff, and many of the teachers did. I always felt bad as a student because I knew that they got hit up a lot and didn't think we were supposed to try to sell to them.

Like it? Hate it?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 15, 2016

I'm a constant mark for Girl Scout cookies, but otherwise I always avoid fundraising. I've never been asked by students to buy anything else. I wouldn't buy Girl Scout cookies, but I'm going to buy them anyway, so might as well let one of my students get the rewards.

I don't think it's appropriate for students to try selling to teachers.

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2016

Surprisingly, I've never been asked by anyone - and I certainly wouldn't mind someone selling GS cookies to me right now :p

That being said, it seems to be a slippery slope, and when it could affect the relationships/interactions within the classroom, it doesn't seem completely appropriate. It's a tough one, though. I'd probably hem and haw over it! Perhaps it could be "okay" if you set a specific amount in mind that you knew you'd be okay with putting towards each student (i.e. supporting students' fundraising up to $3 each, for example), so that it would be equitable, but even then...I'd be worried about district policies and such.

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 15, 2016

Huh. I've actually asked one of my girls in Girl Scouts to bring in an order form.

I personally don't mind fundraisers because I have little trouble saying no thanks to a kid (yeah, I'm evil). But more often than not I'm more than happy to buy a couple of pizzas or some cookies.

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 15, 2016

We do all kinds of fundraisers, and I've never been asked to purchase anything.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2016

I get asked to purchase fundraising items all the time. Sometimes I buy, sometimes I don't. Teachers, like everyone else, can say no to fundraising requests.

readingrules12 and otterpop like this.
  8. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Mar 15, 2016

I teach a lot of scouts so I'm always asked for popcorn and cookies. I rarely ever buy from students. Honestly? I never have cash or my checkbook lol

I don't mind kids bringing fundraising things to school. I don't have a problem saying no.

readingrules12 likes this.
  9. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Mar 15, 2016

I wish I got asked more!!

I was totally skipped over regarding GS cookies and I'm very upset about it.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 15, 2016

I get asked to buy everything. I usually say I've already purchased something. I just leave out the fact it was three years ago!

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2016

My habit has always been to buy from the first student who asked me.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 16, 2016

If it's something I don't want or don't think I'll use, I say that. If I buy, I always buy from the first student who asks.

13. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2016

I usually just say sorry, I can't because then I'd have to support everyone. I get hit up by athletes to buy their $20 coupon books for restaurants I don't go to. I did buy GS cookies from our head counselor who was selling them for his daughter, even though I thought it was a little weird that she wasn't there! Half the fun is buying them from an adorable little Brownie.

On a side note -- the GSs should totally accept Square payments -- the ones set up outside the local market would do so much better if they weren't still cash/check only!

Backroads likes this.
  14. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 16, 2016

agree with the square payments. And I refuse to buy cookies from an adult. Don't enroll your kid in scouts if you're going to do all their work.

ms.irene likes this.
  15. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2016

Ahh I just really wanted those Thin Mints lol

Backroads likes this.
  16. Rox

Rox Cohort

Mar 16, 2016

I remember selling girl scout cookies as a child, and I think it helped build my self-confidence, marketing skills, and social skills. I also recall my principal always purchased two boxes from each girl scout who asked. I imagine that lasted him all year!! I don't get asked often, so when I am asked, I will often buy one item from each child. I will NOT buy from adults who are asking on their child's behalf.

mathmagic and Backroads like this.
  17. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 16, 2016

You're forgiven, we are all but mortals. :D

Upsadaisy likes this.
  18. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 16, 2016

No students ever ask me to help with their fundraiser except once, which I did. I didn't mind it, especially since it's so rare.

But teachers, try to fundraise the crap out of other teachers. They keep trying to get me to buy Girl Scout cookies, and See's candies for their daughters or kids.

19. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 16, 2016

Fundraising at the wealthier districts in my area is completely out of hand. Funny I saw this topic today, because my teammate was just telling me about something that happened at her daughter's (public) school. They had a "fun run" and informed everyone that they "needed" to donate $350 per family. They had a big celebration at the end of the event (during the school day). Each child received colored bracelets to wear depending on the amount of money they had brought in, so who brought what was very public. In order to do the events at the celebration, you had to have a certain color of bracelet. My teammate's daughter had only brought in $60 and was pretty much allowed to do nothing. They also had a Hawaiian Ice truck come and everyone but my teammate's daughter and one other child in her class got to have one. Last year, there was a big stink at a different local wealthy district because they had a carnival and students who did not raise enough money had to sit in the gym while it was going on.

Anyway, to answer the OP, no I would not buy something just out of guilt or to contribute. I would only buy it if were something I truly wanted.

20. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Mar 16, 2016

I get asked, and I buy unless it is something really odd. I only buy from the first one who asks.

21. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 16, 2016

That's wrong on many levels!

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2016

Ok my cousin is a girl scout in another state...can order online & they ship or do something to get them to ya... Lol!!!

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2016

My colleagues usually put their kids cookie/candy/etc flyers/envelopes in the faculty room and those who wish order. I generally don't order from my students.

MrsC likes this.
  24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 22, 2016

I don't have this issue at my school but I think if you ordered from one student you'd have to order from others. I would just say no to all. I don't think they should be bringing that stuff to school especially if money is involved. If the money envelope is stolen/misplaced then is it the teacher's responsibility?

25. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 22, 2016

I tell everyone that I buy from the first student who asks me, and that's it. That policy has always worked for me.

26. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2016

I hate school fundraisers. It is sad that schools even need to raise funds. What is the old bumper sticker? I wish for the day the AF needs to sell cookies for new bombers and the schools have all the money they need.
    I tell my GS the first one to ask me gets my order

Backroads likes this.
  27. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2016

We have one big school fundraiser each year that the students collect money for--a Dance-a-thon. All students participate, whether or not they bring money, but there are prizes for top fundraisers--individual and class. This has been very effective because there are no costs involved, so all of the money goes directly back to the students in the form of technology, books for the library, sports equipment, etc. Ongoing throughout the year are pizza lunches, popcorn and cookie sales at recess, and a milk program; all put some money into the school budget.

When my kids were in elementary school, I used to joke that instead of having endless fundraising requests come home, I would like the option of paying a lump sum at the beginning of the year!

28. crazycatlady80

crazycatlady80 Rookie

Apr 7, 2016

I used to be a teacher's aide in an EXTREMELY wealthy school district. The school "highly suggested" at $1500-a-year donation to the school to cover the cost of books, supplies, etc. Of course, everyone did it, because they wanted to make sure their child got the best teachers. I don't how it is was legal. Yes...it was optional, but it really wasn't.

Oh and the fundraiser for the schools weren't bake sales - it was a gala where Dick Van Dyke performed at $2000 a head. Quite the contrast from going to this district to a poor school in LAUSD.

29. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 9, 2016

If there is anything that teachers do a lot in a day, it is say "no". Can we have donuts for a snack? Can we have a longer recess? Can we bring Star Wars and watch it in class? Uh, no, no, and no. So if a student brings in a fundraiser, I have no problem. I like to buy some of the items and help when I can. When I don't want to buy something, no is a word that I have no difficulty saying as a teacher.

30. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Apr 9, 2016

It's inescapable at my high school. Every club, every team, every activity is fundraising non-stop. I just tell the kid I already ordered from someone else if I don't feel like listening to their attempts to convince me to do so. I DEF don't feel like "If I order from one, I have to order from all." I teach 165 students. Sorry, I'm a first come, first serve (or at least they think. :p)... and then I send my drama kids out to fundraise! Sorry, life! :D

MissCeliaB likes this.
  31. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 9, 2016

This. If I do want to buy, I buy from the first student who asks. It seems to be the fairest way. My school does a lot of fundraisers.