Fundraising ideas?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by heavens54, Jan 21, 2011.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jan 21, 2011

We need some new ideas to raise money at our small school. We sell Sees candies right before Christmas, but would love something new...what do you do to raise money for your class, school or club?

3. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jan 21, 2011

4. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jan 21, 2011

We just did a Spaghetti dinner and bake sale tonight!. We ask parents to donate the sauce, noodles, rolls, and bag salad. We got trays and bags from BJS. We cooked the meals and package them up for them to take home. We even had some kids take them home on the bus. We made 400.00 last year. (not sure about tonight)
    We have also used local restaurants that donate 20% of the sales for the night.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 21, 2011

For the ski team, we do a pancake breakfast (5 dollars a ticket), school dance, spaghetti dinner, bottle drives, and flocking.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 21, 2011

OH and we also have done a 50/50 raffle.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2011

When I was president of the parent's board at my kids' nursery school, I ran Family night.

We got a local hall- it was a neighborhood hall, and as a school we were able to rent it for next to nothing. A school cafeteria or gym would do just fine.

We hired a DJ who specialized in kiddie parties.

We got lots and lots of food donations-- we bought pizza for the kids, and made lots of pasta and stuff for the adults, with coffee and tons of desserts.

I scoured the internet for donations, as raffle prizes, door prizes, and goodie bag stuff for the kids. I got everything from amusement park tickets, to tickets to the Empire State Building, to a kids CD to put into each of the goodie bags.

I forget how much we charged, but we made a few hundred dollars every year.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 21, 2011

I used to run a non-profit. The easiest way to raise money is to ask another organization to help you. For my agency, the local doctors' wives would have a chocolate party. The leadership class at the high school would have a rummage sale. The whole school would have a food drive.

9. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jan 22, 2011

We partner up with Chic-fila (however it's spelled) and once a month a certain percentage of their earnings is donated to our school.

We also have a dodgeball night. We partner with a local fitness business and a certain percentage goes to us. The students love this - playing dodgeball...

Not sure those ideas would work since you said it is a small school.

We also did a parent's night out last year. The parents dropped their kids off at school from 6-8(or was it 9:00?). Then they would have a few hours to get some Christmas shopping done without the kids (or go on date night).
    We fed the children pizza, then divided them up by grade level and did a few activities. They got to play outside, do a craft inside and then everyone met and watched a movie on the projector in the gym.

We have an annual dance and also a fall festival. At the two events we have silent auctions and raffles. Items are provided by the teachers. They can be items like some project created by the class (like a pillow case with everyone's hand print from the class) or they can win things like "Breakfast with your teacher and the 1st grade team!" The silent auctions bring in a lot of money. The parents can also bid on items like a good parking spot for school programs or the first day of school next year (our parking situation is awful). They can bid on prime seating during school musicals.

10. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jan 22, 2011

I've heard of a school selling Scentsy before. If you aren't sure what it is, they are flameless candles that do not start fires. You plug them in and a lightbulb melts the candle wax. They smell WONDERFUL!

11. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jan 22, 2011

At my school we have done several things...

Spirit Nights- Local restaurants give us a certain percentage of customers total bill if they come in with the school flyers.

Jog-A-Thon- Kids were encouraged to get sponsors and there were prizes for different levels of sponsor money. Most of the prizes were donated by local businesses

Car Wash- 6th grade students did a four hour car wash to pay for our end of the year field trip. It works better if you sell presale tickets. Tons of staff members bought a $5 presale ticket even though they had no intention of coming in on a Saturday for 12 year olds to wash their cars.

Penny Wars- its more fun than a penny drive, and the competition part of it really helps participation. The winning class got a sundae party.

Candy grams- We sell 50 cent candy grams for the major holidays, which usually brings in about $75 after taking money out to pay for he candy and paper.

12. glen

glen Companion

Jan 22, 2011

I work at a very small school, too. As the Student Council advisor, we have outdoor dodgeball tournaments in our play yard. We charge $2 a participant and hold them for about an hour after school. We make about $250 for the hour.

We've also sold Halloween messages (although, you could do it for Valentine's Day, or any other holiday). I made the postcards on Vistaprint and attached candy or a pencil. Students/families could purchase a small card for $1 or a large one for $2 and the student council wrote the requested message and delivered them. We made close to $400 on this one.

13. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2011

Can you tell me more about the penny wars? Sounds interesting. I also like the car wash idea. All of these ideas are pretty good, actually...

14. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jan 23, 2011

Penny Wars

Similar to a penny drive, each class or grade level collects change. Each penny you bring in is worth one point toward your class. Each non penny is worth negative point (dime is minus 10 points). I would drop all of my negative points into the bucket of another grade level, and the positive points into my grade level. Each day of the Penny Wars it is posted how many points each class has, then you know who to drop your negative points into. The best strategy is to save most of your pennies to the end of the week so you don't look like such a threat.

We did ours by grade level, and word got out that we were saving our pennies so 4th and 5th grade started pouring all of their silver and dollars into our bucket, but it was too late. LOL We ended up winning, we had tons of pennies and the school made over $1700 in one week. The kids went nuts for it and a lot of parents really got into it too. They were coming up to see the posted points each day after school and bringing in more change. It was hilarious.

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 23, 2011

My next idea for the my ski team is to take a team picture, talk to the newspaper about getting a page in the paper. Then sell ad space to local business to put around the team picture in the newspaper.

16. bondo

bondo Cohort

Jan 23, 2011

We emphasize bottle drives and box tops for education. Parents are more likely to help because they will buy drinks and items with the box tops anyway and its little effort to send them in with their children. However, I like the "family night" ideas presented above and think anything with a family together is beneficial the least of which is financial.