Fundraising as an advisor

Discussion in 'General Education' started by allaragallagher, Jul 27, 2015.

1. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jul 27, 2015

Hey all,

I am an advisor this year. Last year the class had a candy mishap early on, perpetuated by their advisor, that made people swear off buying from them. That was the only fundraiser they held so they ended the year really disheartened. I really want to help them out and be a successful advisor. A coworker of mine has been very successful doing in-school fundraisers like bake sales, ice cream socials, etc. Another coworker does a lot of magazine fundraising: kitchen cutlery, Christmas wrapping paper, etc. What's left?

3. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 27, 2015

I am the advisor for one small activity group. We did a Noodles fundraiser and. Schwanns fundraiser. Both were comparatively easy to manage - I did as much work as I wanted and then let things run.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2015

Our Music teacher has great success with sales of popcorn and cookies at lunch hour.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 27, 2015

This may sound crazy, but my senior class sold LIGHT BULBS as a fundraiser. Between that and a sub sandwich sale, my prom ticket was $10.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 27, 2015

Oh yeah, and Student Council had "If it's Tuesday, it must be Pretzel Day" as a weekly thing for at least a decade. They were sold by where the buses loaded and in the front lobby.

7. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 27, 2015

We aren't allowed to have the basic "fundraisers" any more in our school districts. But, we are allowed to have certain in-school types of fundraisers.

Pennies for Trees--Students made posters to advertise this one and we made enough for 5 trees 2 school years ago.

Licorice Sales---Not my personal favorite for so many sugar-rush reasons, but it earned $1100 this past school year in 1 week. Yeah, not sure many kids bought lunch!

Scrip---gift card fundraiser...we've earned almost $5000 towards building an addition on to our school in 1 school year alone with parents purchasing gift cards and having a percentage immediately sent to the school's account. It's a bit of a good challenge to get started, but once you do, it's awesome!

8. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jul 27, 2015

Last year one of our classes had a Yankee candle fundraiser. I liked the option to order online.

One I remember my children's school had about 12 year ago that was actually a pretty big hit....Tupperware!

There are also some local eateries that will allow a benefit night where a percent of proceeds for certain hours (or with coupon, I'm not really sure how it works) goes towards your group.

9. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 27, 2015

We did Penny Wars this year, we raised $1100 for the student body. The kids had a great time with it too.

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 27, 2015

School tshirts with school mascot - HUGE money maker.

One of our groups charges teaches $1 to wear jeans on a Wednesday. This one definitely needs admin approval. :) Teachers get a sticker to wear as "evidence" they paid.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 28, 2015

We pay $5 to wear jeans every Friday for a month. Most groups usually take one month. We did a Scentsy fundraiser one year that went great! We've done dances as fundraisers. The DJ donated his time so we didn't have to really pay for anything. Penny wars are a big hit usually. Class of t-shirts were popular too. Each kid signed a document and then all signatures were printed in the numbers for that class.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 28, 2015

Kids sold Mix bags and frozen cookie dough and desserts, but the frozen dessert sale offered the school half of the profits so that one was the most popular.