Fundraisers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jan 27, 2014.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 27, 2014

This past Friday evening, we hosted our very first "Family Movie Night."

It was such a hit! Admission was free, but families had a chance to purchase food (pizza, nachos, and popcorn) and other goodies (drinks and candy). Everyone brought blankets and chairs, sprawled out on the auditorium floor, and had a good time.

Getting a license to show the movie was easy (not cheap, though).

Although Friday was one of the longest days of my life (I was at school from 6:45 a.m.-8:30 p.m.) because movie night was from 6-8, I was thrilled to see so many families! We raised a lot of money, which will help cover grade-level field trips! Woohoo!

Does your school do a Family Movie Night? What other fundraisers (besides the typical candy sales) does your site do? I'm open to any ideas.

P.S. We have a Walk-a-Thon planned for the spring and we did a Penny Drive in the fall.

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jan 27, 2014

Themed baskets. Each grade level chooses a theme and classes in that grade prepare baskets to be raffled off at a said function...science fair, parent conferences. We made a ton of money.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 27, 2014

We're doing a Sadie Hawkins dance this year. First time, so we'll see how it goes!

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 27, 2014

We often solicit discounts or tickets to city events and bus families there. Example: We got some kind of deal with the Zoo Lights exhibit over Thanksgiving. Parents could pay $5 for a ride+admission to and from the zoo. I think they might also do something like that for sports events.

6. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jan 27, 2014

We also do a movie night. They sell sno-cones after every PTO meeting. Plus, the gift type things.(orders)

7. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jan 27, 2014

We do Art To Remember since the art budget is only $150 at the two elementary schools I teach. One school receives half the funds raised (1k last year) and the other half goes to PTA. The other school only allows funds to go through the PTA, needless to say that school hasn't received art supplies yet this year so we are stuck using copy paper and crayons :/ so I don't think I'll do it next year at that school. I don't even like splitting it at the one school but at least I have a few supplies. Between that and a donors choose grant for 400 in art supplies I have the bare minim- can't afford clay and glazes this year :(

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 27, 2014

I'm fundraising chair for our PTA, although the big Taco Night Silent Auction coming up will be my first event (the fall ones were already planned when I came in). I've spend the last 6 weeks scouring the city for donations, putting up/maintaining a lobby display of our donated items, sending out letters, creating posters, etc. Attempts at getting other parents to help have been futile, I'm afraid. I'm hoping to bring in around 7k with it.

I have a lot of ideas for next year-we're going to have a First Friday No-Cook Dinner-each month we'll have a different restaurant that will donate a percentage of that night's profit to us. We're going to make a calendar for the year so parents can get jazzed to 'not cook' that night.

I'm also looking into having a Color Run with that chalk powder at our school, maybe around our field.

We're going to do a reverse 50/50, where the last ticket pulled is the one that wins the pot. I've heard you can sell 100 $100 tickets for it pretty easily and then the winner gets 5k and you make a quick 5k.

I'm sitting down this summer with the executive board to map out what we want to make over the year, and then figure out the events and how much we expect to pull in. Our PTA gives each teacher $500 for their classrooms, so we have to make quite a bit over the year to replenish that amount. We also fund individual project requests and family nights. I'm pretty aggressive about fundraising, though, so I'm confident we'll come up with great ideas. This year was just really hard, being my first year at the school as well as chair of fundraising.

9. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jan 27, 2014

I love, love, love the idea of family movie night! Can you share details about how you go about getting the rights and the cost etc?

We just do dances, which are fun, but I like how the movie night encourages parent involvement.

10. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 27, 2014

We have a Father/ Daughter dance, Fun Walk, Art Auction, and a silent auction at the fall carnival.

11. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2014

My school does a movie night. They set up a screen and show the movie outside.

There are quite a few fundraisers at my school. A few include entertainment books, crossfit for kids (really easy version for kids), selling Jamba Juice (smoothies) after school, and they're also putting together a cookbook with family recipes. I'm sure there are a ton more, but I can't think of all of them right now.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 27, 2014

The cost was $100 for the license. This is the company we went through (along with all the info you'd need): http://k12.movlic.com/showing

I can't emphasize enough how much fun the event was! Most kids came in pajamas, too!

We ordered the pizzas from Little Caesars and they gave us quite a good deal since we were ordering for a school fundraiser.

Our PTC did a lot of preparation for Family Movie Night in advance. After school on Friday, they got together and prepped bags of popcorn and bags of candy. It was well-organized.

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 27, 2014

It seems like we do different things every year. Last year we had an auction (I think they do it every other year). The PSA asks for donations from local businesses. Each classroom also puts together a basket that fits a certain theme (parents donate the items). They raise a ton of money, and there are games and activities to keep the kids busy.

14. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 28, 2014

We do a pancake breakfast. In the past we partnered with Applebees, but this year we did it on our own in the cafeteria. It was a breakfast with Santa. We'll probably do it again this spring. We also do raffle baskets during parent teacher conferences.

Jem, I'm surprised you've heard it's easy to sell 100 $100 tickets for a 50/50. I'm familiar with 50/50 raffles but have never heard of one with ticket prices that high. I can't think of a single person who would pay $100 for a raffle ticket. Your auction sounds fabulous though. They do something similar at the elementary school my kids went to and they raise several thousand dollars with it.

15. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 28, 2014

*twitch* *twitch*

16. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Jan 28, 2014

A few years ago my neighbor's child was selling kitchen fire extinguishers during fire safety month. They made a huge amount of money because they encouraged people to buy them for friends and family as Christmas gifts.